PDA

View Full Version : Lake Gregory quickie

FSHNLIC
04-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Went up to Lake Gregory with my youngest for a couple hours to see if I can get on some of those browns.... fished from 3-5 with power worms and a Thomas buoyant .... managed 3 browns and 3 bows... lip hooked and released.... my son got 1 on powerbait and kept losing em... fish were 10-13u incurred but the stocked browns put up a decent fight.... anybody know if they are planning to continue stocking browns up there... I was talking to this one young local who said these fish were supposed to go into big bear but were dumped there due to the weather.... that didn't make sense to me as I have not heard of any browns stocked in big bear.... if they do decide to stock browns in big bear I hope they stock em as sub catchable as a put and grow fishery... sorry no pics today.... tight lines and full tails

The Fishing Queen
04-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the report! I am here tonight in my mountain home and reading this report, made me want to fish at the lake tomorrow. :Smile:

mjc89
04-21-2012, 12:53 AM
Good job. Gregory is off to a good start this year.

phishin phool
04-21-2012, 09:46 PM
You're always on the fish bud, nice job. I wanna get my tube out there soon.

seal
04-22-2012, 08:39 AM
I have heard several stories including the BBL story also that they were headed for GVL. Neither makes any sense because I believe there have been 2-3 stockings now of browns in there, I heard there was another one last week. If there have been multiple stocking if they couldn't put one stocking in at BBL why not the others?

Another story I heard is that they are being put into Gregory to control the carp population.

Funny how these story's get out there at this point I have no idea which one is correct?

IncredibleHuck
04-23-2012, 08:16 AM
I have heard several stories including the BBL story also that they were headed for GVL. Neither makes any sense because I believe there have been 2-3 stockings now of browns in there, I heard there was another one last week. If there have been multiple stocking if they couldn't put one stocking in at BBL why not the others?

Another story I heard is that they are being put into Gregory to control the carp population.

Funny how these story's get out there at this point I have no idea which one is correct?

Yep. You talk to 5 different locals and you get 5 different stories. Same for some of the rangers who were clueless as well.

seal
04-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Yep. You talk to 5 different locals and you get 5 different stories. Same for some of the rangers who were clueless as well.

Yea Huck I heard that BBL story from a number of people including Crestline locals, also heard another plant went in earlier last week, who knows?

FSHNLIC
04-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Hmmmmmm.... I'm just gonna have to keep fishing and draw my own conclusions

flocktothewall
04-25-2012, 05:50 PM
I went to Gregory last week hoping to tube it, because the website says open in April, found out they say "April" because the opening date is different each year, didn't end up getting to float tube it. Fly fishing from the shore is not always efficient at these local mountain lakes. Can't wait to get up there and float tube it when the lake "opens"

RiverWalker
04-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the report Fshnlic. I haven't fished Gregory since I was about 12 years old and I had absolutely no idea the Brownies were being stocked there. Good to know!

Went up to Lake Gregory with my youngest for a couple hours to see if I can get on some of those browns.... fished from 3-5 with power worms and a Thomas buoyant .... managed 3 browns and 3 bows... lip hooked and released.... my son got 1 on powerbait and kept losing em... fish were 10-13u incurred but the stocked browns put up a decent fight.... anybody know if they are planning to continue stocking browns up there... I was talking to this one young local who said these fish were supposed to go into big bear but were dumped there due to the weather.... that didn't make sense to me as I have not heard of any browns stocked in big bear.... if they do decide to stock browns in big bear I hope they stock em as sub catchable as a put and grow fishery... sorry no pics today.... tight lines and full tails

SierraPeaks
04-27-2012, 11:25 AM
I live in Crestline (Cedar Pines Park actually) and everything you've heard is false. The reason they are stocking Gregory with browns is because they are doing a summer-long derby this year. The first one is this weekend (April 28, 29) and will continue until September.

Cameron
04-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Great report !!!

I live in Crestline (Cedar Pines Park actually) and everything you've heard is false. The reason they are stocking Gregory with browns is because they are doing a summer-long derby this year. The first one is this weekend (April 28, 29) and will continue until September.
LOL well said I used google to find out crazy new search egine. Heres the link http://www.crestlinechamber.net/troutderbies.html