View Full Version : bluegill?

basscatcher
04-20-2012, 12:28 PM
any word on the bluegill bite?

God Bless

Basscatcher

tunagod1
04-20-2012, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=basscatcher;600985]any word on the bluegill bite?

The bluegill bite will not turn on until the water temp reaches 70 deg. in the morning, but the redear bite should be going full tilt from now until the bluegill bite starts in late MayJune timeframe. I have not been out lately but my Father has been catching his limit of big redear for the past couple of weeks. Fish redworms for the redear and crickets for the bluegill.

Tuna out

CrownTown
04-21-2012, 01:10 PM
There were tons of blue gill and red ear all around the marina yesterday. Most were pretty small though

Natural Lefty
04-21-2012, 02:17 PM
I went to Perris yesterday afternoon 3:30 - 8:15 p.m., and caught 10 Bluegills a small Bass and a good size Redear. I had wanted to make a separate report but not much time.

I went to Sail Cove Pier first, caught the bass and the Redear on worms, and a Bluegill on a bobber/fly combo. My goal was mainly to catch fish on flies. A strong wind from the northwest came up all of a sudden and the fish stopped biting, so I went to the marina which is more sheltered from wind in that direction. Nothing was biting on worms there, and I mean not a single bite on worms, but a few people near shore were catching some small Bluegills. Later on, they started surfacing. Just as I was getting ready to start using my fly again, I had one of those really strange catches. The pole with my fly was lying on the dock near the water, and all of a sudden, the bobber went in the water and went under. I had a good size Bluegill on the line, which I landed. The wind must have blown the fly into the water, and the fish hooked itself on it -- simply amazing.

After that, I caught 8 more Bluegills on flies. I eventually switched to a second fly which worked better and I caught the last 6 Bluegills on it. Only the one that hooked itself was good size though. I let the rest of them go, except for 2 which swallowed the fly and were bleeding.

I had a nice talk with Huuked-Up there. He had caught a couple of bass earlier, and caught a holdoverish trout on a shad, which he gave to me.

Crowntown, were you one of the Bluegill fishers I met at the marina?

Anyway, to answer your question Basscatcher, I would say that the Bluegill fishing is turning on but not at its best yet, and Redears are doing okay, but I think there are a lot more around than are being caught. I actually saw some schools of nice size ones in the shallows at Sail Cove Pier, that wouldn't bite.

bassgrabber1
04-21-2012, 04:34 PM
100s of blue gill at the boat launch dox on Thursday afternoon and a ton of bass....nothing of size tho.

CrownTown
04-21-2012, 05:24 PM
"Crowntown, were you one of the Bluegill fishers I met at the marina?"

I was the college kid fishing with an asian girl, but I was targeting bass and left early so I'm not sure I saw you there. Wish I had targeted bluegill though, fished 4 hours for a 3.5 lb LMB. Would have rather got a bunch of those bluegill on light tackle...

That Dang Guy
04-21-2012, 09:04 PM
The bluegill are showing up. Got a few sizable models today. Probably 50/50 mix out at the bern side. Definitely not wide open, but getting ready to burst. Mostly on splitshot redworms/troutworms.

Unfortunately they also removed the 5 mph markers back there and got zoomed quite a few times by bass boats, jet skis and pleasure boaters. It's gonna be dangerous this year! Becareful out there guys.

Water temps are nice out there now. No waders required. ;)

Natural Lefty
04-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Crowntown, in that case I think you were gone before I got there. I didn't get to the marina until 5:30 p.m. There was a large contingent of Cambodians there fishing for Bluegills, and maybe some Vietnamese. The younger ones seemed at least to be aware of FNN, but I don't know whether they are members or not.

old pudd fisher
04-21-2012, 10:00 PM
I went to Perris yesterday afternoon 3:30 - 8:15 p.m., and caught 10 Bluegills a small Bass and a good size Redear. I had wanted to make a separate report but not much time.

I went to Sail Cove Pier first, caught the bass and the Redear on worms, and a Bluegill on a bobber/fly combo. My goal was mainly to catch fish on flies. A strong wind from the northwest came up all of a sudden and the fish stopped biting, so I went to the marina which is more sheltered from wind in that direction. Nothing was biting on worms there, and I mean not a single bite on worms, but a few people near shore were catching some small Bluegills. Later on, they started surfacing. Just as I was getting ready to start using my fly again, I had one of those really strange catches. The pole with my fly was lying on the dock near the water, and all of a sudden, the bobber went in the water and went under. I had a good size Bluegill on the line, which I landed. The wind must have blown the fly into the water, and the fish hooked itself on it -- simply amazing.

After that, I caught 8 more Bluegills on flies. I eventually switched to a second fly which worked better and I caught the last 6 Bluegills on it. Only the one that hooked itself was good size though. I let the rest of them go, except for 2 which swallowed the fly and were bleeding.

I had a nice talk with Huuked-Up there. He had caught a couple of bass earlier, and caught a holdoverish trout on a shad, which he gave to me.

Crowntown, were you one of the Bluegill fishers I met at the marina?

Anyway, to answer your question Basscatcher, I would say that the Bluegill fishing is turning on but not at its best yet, and Redears are doing okay, but I think there are a lot more around than are being caught. I actually saw some schools of nice size ones in the shallows at Sail Cove Pier, that wouldn't bite.

Nice to hear from you again Basscatcher. I don't know Perris very well and hope Robert can tell me where the Sail Cove Pier is.

Natural Lefty
04-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Ted, the Sail Cove Pier is in Sail Cove near the north end of the dam at Perris, but not all that close to the dam. The easiest way to reach it is to park in Lot 1, and walk down the sandy slope to the pier, which is a small metal structure jutting out about 100 feet into the lake.

old pudd fisher
04-22-2012, 05:26 PM
I got it thanks.

Billy Bass
04-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Hey BC? Maybe you should go out with us to "the pond". We caught about 50 nice fat gills apiece Sunday. ALL were released. We are planning on returning soon. Get my number from Kenny.