PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Lakes Basin (Mary, etc.) or June Lake?

HighSierratrout
04-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Which is better for fishing and camping with a family and friends? I'll be traveling in late June with 7 kids (ages 3-9) and 8 adults. We typically camp at the Bishop RV park and fish Sabrina, South Lake, and all over Bishop Creek. This year we wanted to try somewhere different and none of us have been to Mammoth lakes or June. We want to camp close to water and have easy access to fishing in creeks, with some nearby lakes. We are also planning on fishing creeks in Reds Meadow and at Crowley or Convict and rent a pontoon boat, but didn't want to camp in either of those areas. Anybody have advice or recommendations? Recommendation on Crowley or Convict with pontoon rental? We only have one day to do the boat rental.

thanks in advance

Matt44
04-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Mono villiage in bridgeport ca is right on the water of twinlakes and has lots of creeks and rivers to fish its the brown trout capital in california haha just a suggestion but both of your choices would be great as well the boat rentals are fairly cheap on the lake as well.

SierraPeaks
04-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Which is better for fishing and camping with a family and friends? I'll be traveling in late June with 7 kids (ages 3-9) and 8 adults. We typically camp at the Bishop RV park and fish Sabrina, South Lake, and all over Bishop Creek. This year we wanted to try somewhere different and none of us have been to Mammoth lakes or June. We want to camp close to water and have easy access to fishing in creeks, with some nearby lakes. We are also planning on fishing creeks in Reds Meadow and at Crowley or Convict and rent a pontoon boat, but didn't want to camp in either of those areas. Anybody have advice or recommendations? Recommendation on Crowley or Convict with pontoon rental? We only have one day to do the boat rental.

thanks in advance

Both areas are great since you have a variety of lakes to choose from. The Twin Lakes campground in Mammoth is stellar. Especially if you can get one of the sites just across the bridge that look straight on to the waterfall. Gull Lakes sites on the Loop are the best in that area in my opinion because they are right on the water and the sites on the shoreline have dug out slips and you can keep your boat or even a rental boat right at your campsite. The big difference for me is all 4 Loop lakes allow boats (with a motor) and rent boats. Whereas at the Mammoth Lakes, only Mary and George do. However, if you're looking for something for the kids other than just camping and fishing, Mammoth has more to offer in town (movie theater, restaurants, arcades, etc) compared to June Lake...which has pretty much just The Tiger Bar.