PDA

View Full Version : What are those tiny fish in the shallows at the Pudd - Might be good bait

Cartman
04-20-2012, 11:46 AM
I keep seeing some schools of really small fish in the shallow shallows around where I'm fishing. I can't make them out. I'm guessing other Pudd anglers have seen them, too. They don't look too hard to catch, and I'm thinking the crappie would really go for them which is probably why they're hanging so close to the shore. I don't want to get caught with a bass, crappie, redear or bluegill fry on my hook, so I'm hoping somebody can steer me in the right direction. I wish I had picked one up to examine it more closely. Seems like they're sorta light brown. Very small. I first noticed them about two weeks ago, and last saw them yesterday.

CPT. Kirk
04-20-2012, 11:57 AM
I fish the Pudd and have also noticed those small fish but I dont know what they are. I havent gotten a good look.

Dr. MindBendo
04-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Most likely bass fry from the recent spawn.

fishmounter
04-20-2012, 02:15 PM
There's a chance that they could be Mosquito Fish, a relative to the Guppy, but usually there will be a few large 1.5 to 2.0 inch females in the group. Not sure about the legality of using them for live bait. That being said, when I was a kid we netted them and used them for crappie at Laguna lake and they worked really good. Had to use a small size 12 hook and we hooked them thru the top lip. Fished below a small bobber about 3 feet above the hook.

Skyler
04-20-2012, 04:57 PM
4.10. BAIT FISH USE IN THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT. Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall not be used or possessed for use as bait in the Southern District:
(a) Dead threadfin shad and live or dead longjaw mudsucker may be used in all Southern District waters.
(b) Live threadfin shad may be used only at the location where taken.
(c) Golden shiner and red shiner may be used in San Diego County.

joetro474
04-20-2012, 05:28 PM
4.10. BAIT FISH USE IN THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT. Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall not be used or possessed for use as bait in the Southern District:
(a) Dead threadfin shad and live or dead longjaw mudsucker may be used in all Southern District waters.
(b) Live threadfin shad may be used only at the location where taken.
(c) Golden shiner and red shiner may be used in San Diego County.

So this means we shouldnt be using the pin minnows AKA delta Smelt for Bait?

VIVID_FLY
04-20-2012, 05:29 PM
They are probably Silverside Shad.

Here are some that i have managed to catch on the small fly .. They are quite aggressive fish when feeding

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y316/vivid_fly/DSCF0104.jpg
http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y316/vivid_fly/DSCF0290.jpg

they are spawning in the shallows.. near the banks at eastshore... and sailboat. next time you see them ... wiggle your rod tip in the water near them and splash they will all head to disturbance. I did see moderate schools of micro crappie today 2012-04-20 at the pudd .. how do i know they are crappie because i caught about 15 of them .. taken on #14 hares ear no bead ....

2 weeks ago when the water was still GREEN i did see massive shoreline spawning of the

THREADFIN SHAD ...

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y316/vivid_fly/IMAGE_102.jpg

seal
04-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Silversides are from the smelt family. It is quite possible since you will see silversides in the shallows early on and throughout the summer as opposed to shad which are in the open waters quite a bit then later in the summer seem to occupy the shallows more. At least that's my obervations, there are a ridiculous amount of silversides in Silverwood and also shad and the silversides are already in shallow but they for the most part are very small larvae size fish.

Cartman
04-21-2012, 12:07 PM
They don't have the long skinny silver look of the shad. The ones I keep seeing actually more resemble guppies. I will study them more carefully next time I'm there. If they are not "game fish" and you catch them in the same lake I think you can hook them up.

Cartman
04-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the great pictures VIVID_FLY. You still slaying the crappie?

old pudd fisher
04-21-2012, 07:24 PM
I keep seeing some schools of really small fish in the shallow shallows around where I'm fishing. I can't make them out. I'm guessing other Pudd anglers have seen them, too. They don't look too hard to catch, and I'm thinking the crappie would really go for them which is probably why they're hanging so close to the shore. I don't want to get caught with a bass, crappie, redear or bluegill fry on my hook, so I'm hoping somebody can steer me in the right direction. I wish I had picked one up to examine it more closely. Seems like they're sorta light brown. Very small. I first noticed them about two weeks ago, and last saw them yesterday.

Yeah I see them too in the spring and summer months, and also at Fairmont. I was thinking that they were baby Bass? Yes they are very small and a lot of them.

smokehound
04-22-2012, 12:35 AM
You may be seeing either mosquitofish or sailfin mollies:

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/gallery/descript/sailfinmolly/molly.jpg

thats a molly

Skyler
04-23-2012, 09:51 AM
If they are not "game fish" and you catch them in the same lake I think you can hook them up.

If you want a large fine, listen to this advice...
The only live fish you can use are threadfin shad, and longjaw mudsuckers. The regs are quite clear on this.

white belt
04-23-2012, 06:00 PM
I've seen them too and I also saw a guy netting them at SBC.