PDA

View Full Version : King Harbor action 4/19/12

Ifishtoolittle
04-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Well I decided to do a little pier fishing today at KH just to take a load off. As far as fishing went it was subpar, but I can't really complain as I have not caught anything in a little while. I mainly stuck around the short pier for a few hours for 3 mackerel on the kastmaster. I did get a short strike on the grub while shooting the rocks.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/Ifishtoolittle/DSCF4760.jpg
This is a photo of 2 mackerel that I kept. Believe it or not the meat is very sweet with a slight hint of fishyness, which I like.

-IF2L

smokehound
04-19-2012, 04:02 PM
I sometimes eat mackerel from time to time. When fresh and iced promptly, it's very high quality meat.. It's a pain in the butt to debone, though.

Try some chipotle with them some time, it's great.

mackerel fishing can be cool in the harbor, alot of the bigger macks like to come in and eat baby jacksmelt.

Ifishtoolittle
04-19-2012, 04:07 PM
I sometimes eat mackerel from time to time. When fresh and iced promptly, it's very high quality meat.. It's a pain in the butt to debone, though.

Try some chipotle with them some time, it's great.

mackerel fishing can be cool in the harbor, alot of the bigger macks like to come in and eat baby jacksmelt.

Yeah, it was annoying to debone, but the flavor was well worth it. I did land a larger model, but the stupid heron stole it from me.

ushone
04-19-2012, 08:46 PM
lol dude birds in redondo are horrible man, i swear the last few times i went i almost caught like 10 birds with chovy chunks. eventually left cause it was actually hard to get bait in the water and let it sink without screaming at a bird and rippin my bait away from it before i end up bird fishin

Armofisher818
04-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Alot of people here underestimate mackerel but it sure is tasty. Sometimes they haw a sour taste but what your describing as right now looks like the better models.

Armofisher818
04-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Oh ya and nice chopsticks I have yet to learn how to use these professionaly the best I did was eat a shrimp. And btw when you eat rice with chopsticks how do you do it? Do you just scoop it up like a spoon?

Which Way Out
04-19-2012, 09:30 PM
One of my favorites is Saba in the Sushi bar

Ifishtoolittle
04-19-2012, 10:39 PM
lol dude birds in redondo are horrible man, i swear the last few times i went i almost caught like 10 birds with chovy chunks. eventually left cause it was actually hard to get bait in the water and let it sink without screaming at a bird and rippin my bait away from it before i end up bird fishin

Yeah I hear ya. One of the freakin' cormorants chased down kastmaster.

Alot of people here underestimate mackerel but it sure is tasty. Sometimes they haw a sour taste but what your describing as right now looks like the better models.

If I didn't ice the mackerel and bleed them on the spot I'm pretty sure they would have tasted sour.

Oh ya and nice chopsticks I have yet to learn how to use these professionaly the best I did was eat a shrimp. And btw when you eat rice with chopsticks how do you do it? Do you just scoop it up like a spoon?

Lol using chopsticks professionally? There's no real trick to it. You just need to use them more until your fingers get used to them; and for eating rice I do scoop it down my gullet just as I would do with a spoon. All you need to do is to leave a little space between the chopsticks so that you can grab a chunk of rice.

One of my favorites is Saba in the Sushi bar
After eating Socal Macs I may just keep a few from now on. Although the ones we have locally aren't exactly the same as the ones you'd find at a sushi joint. The mackerel there are usually from Japan, fatty, and even fishier.

DockRat
04-20-2012, 06:03 AM
The spanish macs are tastier than the greenbacks.

It was wfo giant 8" horse sardines at the bubble thurs eve at sunset time.
Caught a couple greenbacks and a 12" calico on the LC.
Dude next to me had 5 gal buckets w/water and was snagging dines for some night time
live bait fishing.
DR

Ifishtoolittle
04-22-2012, 05:58 PM
The spanish macs are tastier than the greenbacks.

It was wfo giant 8" horse sardines at the bubble thurs eve at sunset time.
Caught a couple greenbacks and a 12" calico on the LC.
Dude next to me had 5 gal buckets w/water and was snagging dines for some night time
live bait fishing.
DR

You are spot on about the spanish macs, best tasting stuff out there! Hmm, I knew I should have thrown the rip bait. Those Calicos are always evading me whenever visit KH. Oh well, there's always next time.

SP Dan
04-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Hi ya Ifishtoolittle,

That cooked fish looked very tasty! Hmmmmmm! It's making me hungry! :LOL:

Thanks for the fish report w/ Pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

murrieta angler
04-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Hey Bryan,
You got to fish and get some eats....Sounds good to me!!
Robert
<><