PDA

View Full Version : Elsinore Bowfish from shore?

blackberg
04-19-2012, 08:33 AM
Can anyone point me on the right direction where I could find the bowfishing areas at elsinore?

may go Fri

thanks
-bb

Skyler
04-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Not areas. Area. A two mile stretch of the levee from SS2 marker to Rome Hill is open to bowfishing. It's quite a hike in. You need to hike 2.5 miles before you are legal.

blackberg
04-19-2012, 11:56 AM
ok, thanks, never been to that part of the lake before, where abouts is the parking to get to there
was thinking of taking the bicycle since I heard its a long walk

-bb

sodapop
04-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Lake Elsinore Municipal Code: Section 8.44.055 Bow Fishing

A. Bow fishing is defined as tackle that must have the arrow's shaft or the point, or
both, securely attached by a line to the bow or to a fishing reel (includes crossbow).

B. Bow fishing is permitted by vessel upon the surface waters of Lake Elsinore, except
within wading areas, marinas and boating channels.

C. Bow fishing by persons walking and/or wading along the shoreline is permitted only
upon that portion of the Levee System between Shoreline Zone Identification sign
SS2 to Rome Hill (see Shoreline Zone Identification map below).

D. Bow fishing is restricted to fishing for Carp only.

E. Bow fishing is prohibited within 100 feet of any person outside the vessel of the
person bow fishing or adjacent to the person bow fishing by shoreline.

F. Children 15 years of age or younger are required to be accompanied by an adult in
order to bow fish.

G. All fish taken by bow fishing shall be removed from Lake Elsinore and disposed of in
a proper manner. Disposal of Carp into Lake Elsinore, upon the shoreline of Lake
Elsinore or in public trashcans is prohibited.

H. The provisions in this Section 8.44.055 are subject to waiver by the City for bow
fishing events as may be determined by the City Manager, subject to such events
being authorized pursuant to a special event permit as provided in Chapter 5.108.

LEMC Sec. 1.16.010 Penalty (Summary of Fines):

First Violation = $100.00

Second Violation = $200.00

Each Additional Violation = $500.00

Skyler
04-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Park at the baseball field. A bike would be handy. You should shoot somewhat conservatively, as you will have to haul whatever you shoot back to the car. I had to carry 40 pounds of fish 3 miles back to my truck a few weeks ago. It was a rough hike, thats for sure.

blackberg
04-22-2012, 09:31 AM
I will be heading out in a bit, for a couple of hours.

Holla if you go out, I have a bright blue bow
-bb

augnmike
04-23-2012, 09:23 AM
How about a report?

blackberg
04-23-2012, 04:22 PM
It was slow, managed one each, for a total of 2.

We saw them when we first got there but left before we got set up.

Bikes came in useful, went all the way to morgan hill which is about 3 miles out.

Had some technical difficulties after I got mine that will require me to get a bow press or take it to the shop.

Aside from the one I got, I only saw 2 more, and both after my issue towards the end of the day after my bow was Non-Op.

This is mine against my size 11 wader boot, the other one was half as small
-bb

augnmike
04-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Thanks, you saved me a trip with the boat. Still a tad early I guess.

blackberg
04-24-2012, 02:34 PM
IDK, but I always have issues right before a storm, like sunday going into monday, we went sunday, I think it may be the air pressure, if its raining its fine but, if clouds are moving in sucks for me.

batastrophe
06-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Made it out to Elsinore last Saturday and thanks for the tips on parking, etc. Did a lot of hiking and, unfortunately, didn't run into a lot of carp. The water was extremely murky with about 6-8" visibility so it was tough. Only managed 1 shot and it was a miss. I'd not been out there previously so I wasn't sure if I was experiencing normal water conditions or not. In any event, still has a good time hiking about the lake.

augnmike
06-03-2012, 11:18 AM
It's been a tough year at LE. Shot it on Friday from my platformed boat and shot about 25 fish. I brought a new guy who shot for his first time so it's not a good measure of how we did. I didn't pick up my bow for the first three hours. I would guess my regular partner and I would have shot 40 fish that day. That is low since last year I was shooting over 70 fish a day this same time. The lake is very very low for some reason and I think this has messed things up pretty bad.

blackberg
06-03-2012, 11:49 AM
on the murkiness, I think thats how it stays now.
Got my bow back from warranty service this week, they replaced the cam and an arm.
-bb

batastrophe
06-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Good intel and thanks much. On a quasi-related topic I'm headed to Big Bear this weekend and wondered in any of you know any generally decent places for shore shooting. Not looking for any one to give up the secret spot, just want to get a bead on where on the lake would be a good place since I'm not all that familiar. Any insight is appreciated.

augnmike
06-04-2012, 09:52 AM
try over by meadow park it is on fire sometimes during the spawn. Otherwise there is a lot of folks that shoot off the foot bridge by Stansfield cutoff.

Skyler
06-04-2012, 11:41 AM
try over by meadow park it is on fire sometimes during the spawn. Otherwise there is a lot of folks that shoot off the foot bridge by Stansfield cutoff.

I was at the foot bridge on Saturday. The fish were there, though they were staying out deep for the most part. The full moon didn't help things much. I'm sure there were active all night. I shot 7, and had two pull off the arrow while landing them up onto the boardwalk. I missed FAR more than I hit.

batastrophe
06-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks gents - much appreciated. I'll post a report when I get back. If you're interested in meeting up let me know.

blackberg
06-04-2012, 11:18 PM
I think I rather go to big bear rather than Elsinore, for shore, longer drive but the trek there is easier,
on the boat though it would be the other way around
-bb

augnmike
06-06-2012, 07:25 PM
I shoot both a lot from a boat and BB wins hands down in both shore and boat. Elsinore is my place to go in So Cal in April and May since BB isn't on yet. From here on out it's BB all way for me. I will fill my barrels in both spots on any given day but the scenery and quality (size) of the carp are better at BB. If I were shore shooting like in the old days I would be at BB over Elsinore anyday, much more shoreline and better visibility.

batastrophe
08-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Anyone been out to Elsinore recently? Was thinking about going out this weekend, but not sure if it's still on? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Skyler
08-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Anyone been out to Elsinore recently? Was thinking about going out this weekend, but not sure if it's still on? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would hit BBL instead. It's gonna be HOT at Elsinore!

batastrophe
08-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Agreed, but it's closer to me and don't think I can get the girl up there on a holiday weekend LOL. If anyone want to do Elsinore let me know. Get there at greylight and shoot in the early AM...

batastrophe
08-30-2012, 06:53 PM
OR.. If someone has a boat and wants to do BB, I'll pay for gas...