PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Kayak Help!

MasterFisherYY
04-18-2012, 10:00 PM
I would like to know if anyone has a recommendation for a 14 year old 5ft-11 teenager. I would love to use it for fishing long range or by the breakwater! It would need to be long roomy. My preferred price is $600-$700. This is my first time using a kayak so I would like all the help you can educate me with. It also needs to be upgradeable.. rod holders, wave breakers, etc. Many thanks in advance! :Big Grin:

The Lone Fisherman
04-19-2012, 10:27 AM
I suggest you pay visit to your local kayak shop and test paddle what they recommend for your style. Testing them first will give you experience and a better understanding of the characteristics and feel for the right kayak.

Sit On Top (SOT) kayak are your best bet for a beginner. Since you're looking for "long roomy", I look at either Malibu Stealth or Cobra Marauder.

Other questions and equipment to think about as the cost of these may come close to what you've saved.:
- How will you transport the kayak? Need a rack, attachements and accessories, wheels = $$$.
- What will I need to be safe? PFD, radio, whistle, hand or bildge pump, etc = $$$.

I know it's out of your price range but if you can scratch up enough cash, I definately take a look at a used Hobie Mirage Kayak.

N3FF
04-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Look into the Older Malibu Kayak X-Factor.. This is my current ride.. Its Extremely Stable, You can pretty much stand on it!

N3FF
04-19-2012, 10:56 AM
U can find one on craigs list for an affordable price between $650 up to 900 for a fully equipped model

Rhernandez94
04-19-2012, 08:37 PM
U can find one on craigs list for an affordable price between $650 up to 900 for a fully equipped model

I agree I have a a Malibu X-Factor and I love it!!! I do stand up on it to fish it is very stable! Plus when you stand up it gives your *** a break! I took it to the ocean this past weekend and it did great going over the surf and the off shore waves!

Prowler_Tuber
04-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Go to OBX in Sunset Beach they have everything in stock and are experts at kayaks it's all they do