PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lake on the Fly 4/15

Dci4me
04-18-2012, 08:22 PM
So my buddy calls me up on Friday and says "I got a new 5 weight! Lets go float tubing Sunday." Hell yeah.... This trip was especially exciting for me because it was my first trip out on a float tube. We got up to the lake pretty early, about 8:00 a.m. It was cold outside, about 30 degrees. We hiked down the road through the snow as the lake is not "open" yet. On the water we go.... Bows were hitting top water for as far as the eye could see. Beautiful glass across the lake and snow covered hills.

I brought an ultralight spinning outfit and my fly rod. I started out dropshotting plastics on the spinning rod. I had several hits and almost landed a few, but they kept shaking off the small Owner mosquito hook. I switched over to the fly rod with a Griffiths Gnat and bam! Bingo! I was able to land 3 and farmed about a half dozen. Double excitement for me. This was my first trip landing fish on a fly rod, and also in a tube! I am hooked! My friend managed to land 4 or so bows, and even a few LMB in that cold water. All fish were caught with dry flies.

Here are a few pics of the beautiful scenery we were fortunate to be fishing in.

teejay
04-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Perfect timing!

seal
04-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Excellent! If there aren't icebergs then the water temp is fine. I'm jealous.

Skyler
04-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Nice. Enjoy the solitude while you can. That lake opens next month, then there will be a flotilla of tubes and kayaks covering the water, lol.

Rastavyb
04-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Looks like a nice day at Jenks.

Dci4me
04-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Yes. It was a beautiful day. I cant wait to get out and tube some other lakes especially for bass. I have an 8 weight ready to go with full sinking line. Now if I could just figure out how to turn 180 degrees in the tube I'll be able to get around the lake much easier!