PDA

View Full Version : Annual State Park pass going up $35-$70 on May 1st

CraigH
04-18-2012, 07:47 AM
Did a quick look and didn't see this posted anywhere yet ...

CA
Increases for Various Annual State Park Passes
Author: California State Parks
Published on Apr 13, 2012 - 8:55:25 AM

April 12, 2012 - California State Parks today announced it will be raising the price of four of its annual passes as of May 1, 2012. Day use and camping fees will remain at 2009 levels.

The passes to be increased are as follows:

Annual Passes to be Raised: Current - New

Vehicle Day Use Annual Pass: $125 - $195
Golden Poppy Vehicle Day Use Pass: $90 - $125
Boat Use Pass (Sticker): $75 - $100
Limited Use Golden Bear Pass: $10 - $20

The last major fee increase was in August 2009, when State Parks raised the price for day use and camping, but did not raise the price of the above listed passes. This increase will bring the price of the annual passes more in line with the standard of 12-15 visits to pay for an annual pass.

State Parks is not sure of how much revenue this will generate in the short term, but roughly estimates between $1 million and $1.5 million per year more for state parks as visitors get accustomed to the new prices. This is not enough to prevent park closures brought about by the $22 million reduction in the State Parks' budget, but it will help mitigate the severe service reductions at parks remaining open throughout the system.

seal
04-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Great my Poppy pass is up May 30th I guess I'll have to order it in April to save the $35.00! Yup typical Government financial logic increase cost make more money but of course they won't factor in the amount of people that will no longer by the pass, that's a HUGE increase!

seal
04-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Oh also I appreciate the heads up!!!

Karyn
04-18-2012, 08:14 AM
WOW! I hate inflation (and backlash) Thanks for the heads up- you saved me $70 on my beach pass! Now, that's a big savings :)

SirBluegill
04-18-2012, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the heads up mine expires this month.

Nastybite
04-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the heads up!

evosamurai
04-18-2012, 02:38 PM
does the poppy pass work at silverwood?

seal
04-18-2012, 02:55 PM
does the poppy pass work at silverwood?

Nope pass to Silverwood is $1,000 and they are sold out for the next 10 years.

Yup poppy pass works at Silverwood! I figure my cost per visit is about .0000001 cents.

CraigH
04-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Nope pass to Silverwood is $1,000 and they are sold out for the next 10 years.

Give the state another 3 or 4 years and you may be right on the cost for an annual pass!!

Glad I could save people some money.

TopwaterTony
04-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Great my Poppy pass is up May 30th I guess I'll have to order it in April to save the $35.00! Yup typical Government financial logic increase cost make more money but of course they won't factor in the amount of people that will no longer by the pass, that's a HUGE increase!

Could be true that less will buy the pass, but how many will actually NOT pony up the dough, that's the gamble you take to try and balance the debt that they have run up for the past years and try to draw straws how to recoup the losses.
If it's 10% less people (1 in 10) the $35 for the 9 that still buy will still be in the black. #justsayin
Personally I think less than 10% will not want to pay the piper.

seal
04-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Could be true that less will buy the pass, but how many will actually NOT pony up the dough, that's the gamble you take to try and balance the debt that they have run up for the past years and try to draw straws how to recoup the losses.
If it's 10% less people (1 in 10) the $35 for the 9 that still buy will still be in the black. #justsayin
Personally I think less than 10% will not want to pay the piper.

If it cuts down on the summer type crowd I'll pay double!!!!

teejay
04-18-2012, 09:16 PM
You might have the wood all to yourself Seal :Big Grin:

zenmic
04-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference from the Poppy pass and the regular Annual Day Use Pass; beside price? As far as I can tell the two give you the same permissions. Puddingstone and Santa Fe Dam are the two lakes that I go to that charge a vehicle fee, but I do not see them on the list of parks that accept either the Poppy or regular pass.

Anybody want to help me buy the right one? :Confused:

old pudd fisher
04-26-2012, 05:23 PM
The poppy pass is for state parks only, the Pudd and S.F.D. are County parks so it is different...I think thats how it is.

zenmic
04-27-2012, 12:17 AM
If Poppy is only good for state parks, then is the Regular one good for both, since it cost more and does the Regular one cover both Puddingstone and Santa Fe DM?

Sandman_Tracker
04-27-2012, 12:37 AM
The Poppy pass is good for inland, northern and reservoir parks, where as the the Regular Annual Vehicle pass is good for SRA's across the state. There are some parks that do not accept the pass and it is listed on the website. In short, if you plan on staying local to socal and fishing Perris and Silverwood on a regular basis, save some cash and get the Poppy. If you will be traveling and hitting lakes across the state, get the regular Annual Pass.

I have the regular annual because I go up to Sacramento alot....

smokehound
04-27-2012, 01:17 AM
Kinda makes be happy to be a pedestrian now.. o_O

If only california weren't run by imbeciles.. we wouldn't have to deal with this crap.. >=\

zenmic
04-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Poppy it is!...Thanks everybody for clearing this up for me.

cambofisher
04-28-2012, 03:57 AM
This moght be a dumb question.Where can i get these passes at? Thanks in advance.

seal
04-28-2012, 08:44 AM
This moght be a dumb question.Where can i get these passes at? Thanks in advance.

Perris, Silverwood etc... you can purchase them at or online here

http://store.parks.ca.gov/park-passes/golden-poppy-annual-day-use-pass/

Kelster
04-29-2012, 11:30 AM
I am glad that I purchased mine at the end of March and since it was so close to April the Ranger stamped mine as April and not March.

zenmic
04-30-2012, 01:47 AM
Now I am COMPLETELY confused and perhaps screwed. I bought a Poppy pass and it is on its way. I brought the recepit with me on Sunday April 29th to Puddingstone. Got there about 2:30 and the gate attendent looked at my receipt and called to check. According to her, the Poppy passes are NOT for Puddingstone since it is a County park, and not a state park, so I had to pay the entrance and the underlying message is that the park pass I just payed for is bloody useless.:mad::mad::mad: As members have explained to me that the difference between Poppy and regular park passes is that Poppy is just for county (which should cover both Puddingstone and Santa Fe Dam) and the regular park pass is for both county and state; so which is it? If I have toget the other one, is it too late to call California Fish and Game to get it replaced or am I screwed out of the $90 I just spent and have to shell out another $125?:Crying:

I would really like to know.

Geraldlim
04-30-2012, 02:48 AM
Now I am COMPLETELY confused and perhaps screwed. I bought a Poppy pass and it is on its way. I brought the recepit with me on Sunday April 29th to Puddingstone. Got there about 2:30 and the gate attendent looked at my receipt and called to check. According to her, the Poppy passes are NOT for Puddingstone since it is a County park, and not a state park, so I had to pay the entrance and the underlying message is that the park pass I just payed for is bloody useless.:mad::mad::mad: As members have explained to me that the difference between Poppy and regular park passes is that Poppy is just for county (which should cover both Puddingstone and Santa Fe Dam) and the regular park pass is for both county and state; so which is it? If I have toget the other one, is it too late to call California Fish and Game to get it replaced or am I screwed out of the $90 I just spent and have to shell out another $125?:Crying:

The poppy pass is for state parks only, the Pudd and S.F.D. are County parks so it is different...I think thats how it is.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference from the Poppy pass and the regular Annual Day Use Pass; beside price? As far as I can tell the two give you the same permissions. Puddingstone and Santa Fe Dam are the two lakes that I go to that charge a vehicle fee, but I do not see them on the list of parks that accept either the Poppy or regular pass.

Anybody want to help me buy the right one? :Confused:

You got it backwards. The replies you got were accurate.
Sorry to say I think you're screwed.

Sandman_Tracker
04-30-2012, 02:48 AM
Those passes are for "CALIFORNIA "STATE" PARKS". I don't think the county has passes available...but I could be wrong.

You could always take like a 10$ hit and sell the pass. Better to lose 10, then 90...

Geraldlim
04-30-2012, 02:52 AM

Do not get the $125 pass. That too is for State parks only, not county parks like Pudd and Santa Fe Dam.

Sorry to bold and underline everything; don't want you to waste another $125.

zenmic
04-30-2012, 09:43 AM
After several phone calls and several more phone calls, I think I have the right information.

Poppy Park Pass: is for Northern California
Annual Park Pass: is for Southern California AND Northern California

Now for my specific issue regarding Puddingstone and Santa Fe Damn:

Vehicle Annual Permit ................................................$1 25.00
A vehicle annual permit is valid for vehicle entry at Frank G Bonelli Park, Castaic Lake Recreation Area, Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Area, Peter F Schabarum Regional Park, Santa Fe Dam Recreational Area and Whittier Narrows Recreation Area. This permit is valid one year for the month of purchase. Permits must be permanently affixed directly to the vehicle at the time of purchase (lower corner of windshield, driver’s side).

Senior Citizen/Disabled Vehicle Annual Permit....$65.00
A senior/disabled vehicle annual permit is valid for vehicle entry at Frank G Bonelli Park, Castaic Lake Recreation Area, Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Area, Peter F Schabarum Regional Park, Santa Fe Dam Recreational Area and Whittier Narrows Recreation Area. Vehicle entry is allowed every day during normal operating hours of the facility. This permit is valid weekdays only, excluding weekends and holidays. This permit is valid one year from the month of purchase. Senior vehicle owner/driver must be 65 or older. Permits must be permanently affixed directly to the vehicle at the time of purchase (lower corner of windshield, driver’s side).

Unlimited Boat Annual Permit .................................$135.00
An unlimited boat annual permit is valid for boat entry at Frank G Bonelli Park, Castaic Lake Recreation Area and Santa Fe Dam Recreational Area. Boating is allowed every day during the normal operating hours of the facility, weather permitting. This permit is valid on year from month of purchase. Permits must be permanently affixed directly to the vessel at the time of purchase (port side of vessel, near stern).

Non-motorized Boat Annual Permit .....................$105.00
An non-motorized boat annual permit is valid for non-motorized boat entry at Frank G Bonelli Park, Castaic Lake Recreation Area and Santa Fe Dam Recreational Area. Boating is allowed every day during the normal operating hours of the facility, weather permitting. This permit is valid on year from month of purchase. Permits must be permanently affixed directly to the vessel at the time of purchase (port side of vessel, near stern).

Even though the wording and pricing structure looks the same as the State and County park fees, THESE particular parks (Frank G Bonelli Park, Castaic Lake Recreation Area, Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Area, Peter F Schabarum Regional Park, Santa Fe Dam Recreational Area and Whittier Narrows Recreation Area) are NOT under the same management nor accept any of the Park Passes from the California Department of Parks and Recreations. They have their own and a person cannot order or pay for the passes online.

A person must physically show up at:
Frank G. Bonelli Regional Park
120 E. Via Verde Drive
San Dimas CA, 91773

to the get and purchase passes. The park ONLY accepts cash or check. The passes are good for 13 months from the date of purchase.

I could not find it in my searches of the forum. It might have been in the data lost from the crash back in March. If possible, Moderators/Administrators please feel free to modify and sticky this post to help other members from making the same mistakes that I made.

Thanks,

seal
04-30-2012, 10:00 AM
I am sorry but you still don't have all the right information. Poppy pass is not for No Cal only. The Poppy Pass works for Perris and Silverwood and other parks that are not No Cal. The pass is just a reduced pass from the more expensive pass and does not include entry to many of the beach parks and others but does allow entry to many of the reservoirs and other state parks.

They have all that info listed on the website. Basically they list parks that DO NOT except the Golden Poppy pass and another list of parks that DO allow entry with the Poppy pass, you have to figure out where you are going to mostly go and look at the lists. Let's not get everybody screwed up on this!

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24164

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24161

zenmic
04-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks Seal, just frustrated by these different groups that have control of the parks in the state, and that some passes are accpeted while other passes are not, and the information on official websites are really vague.

seal
04-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks Seal, just frustrated by these different groups that have control of the parks in the state, and that some passes are accpeted while other passes are not, and the information on official websites are really vague.

No problem and I agree it's pretty convoluted but Cali seems to make everything difficult.