PDA

View Full Version : advice with surfishing?

Got_fish?
04-17-2012, 09:24 PM
planning to go surf fishing this weekend with my little brother.. im new to this kind of fishing and any information regarding on what bait, type of gear and especialy on which beaches i should go to first would be appreciated.. i live in LA

bones
04-18-2012, 10:33 PM
All you need to get started....

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?14334-Surf-Fishing-101-The-Basics

Good luck and we are looking forward to your report!

Got_fish?
04-19-2012, 02:13 PM
thanks alot! im looking forward to catching my first fish from the surf went out and grabbed some of thoose worms as well as some of the grubs

Which Way Out
04-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Like Bones suggested.
Also I will add to be careful of the surf zone. The waves can get you when you least expect it. Sometimes the sand will have a trench that will drop off real quick. Step into without knowing its there will get you in over your head real quick. But its the place to fish most every time.

Good luck
WWO

Got_fish?
04-20-2012, 07:52 AM
do i have to get deep into the water to cast my line far enouph for the fish to be biting? im thinking of using a carolina rig with some worms i bought from gulp with maybe 1/2 or 1 oz weight

manuel149
04-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Bsp are very close so no need to cast to far. LIke WWO said be carefull
Every step you take you can fall in a trench. Lastly keep your reel out of the sand

Which Way Out
04-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Bsp are very close so no need to cast to far. LIke WWO said be carefull
Every step you take you can fall in a trench. Lastly keep your reel out of the sand

Thanks Manuel.
Manuel is right, the fish are sometimes right where you could be standing. I have found that I have stepped on Halibut in the shallow water. When a buddy and I fish using waders we sometimes even cast behind each other. It's kinda of funny when you hook a fish right behind someone standing in the water. No real need to cast a long way. Conditions will dictate that. I fan cast the area I might walk into first, before I even step foot into the water.
Just be sure to read the Sticky Shore fishing 101, everything you ever wanted to know is there. Pick up a few safety tips here and there. Be careful with the tails on Halibut. Don't use a wide mesh net. It can cause the Tail to split. Infection sets in at the tail and the fish can die shortly after. A boga style grip is great. It will also keep you from going to the doctors office for stitches. Even the small Halibut have very sharp teeth. The original Boga style cost a lot, but I found a knock off copy at tackle shop for $19 in a bargain bin made by Berkley. 2 years old now and works great.

Also as Manuel said, "keep the reel out of the sand". Well I was given a tip one day, so I will pass it on. Ware a Baseball hat, when you need to set the reel down, take the hat off first and lay it on the sand. Then place the reel on it. Simple tip that will make your day a lot better.

Good luck
WWO

Got_fish?
04-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks alot manuel and WWO, ill try to renember everything written down here.. as it turns out, this website is swarmed with very helpful information regarding fishing. Definately glad i found this pag [= just wondering what the regulations on theese fish might be.. i know the halibut are 22 inches.. but any other common fish cought on the surf i have no clue as to what i should look out for

Which Way Out
04-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Well I don't know all of the rules, I think Striped Bass and White Sea Bass are 28" as well but I am not sure. I guess its time to break out the rule book again and reread it. Most of the fish I catch, I release anyway.

You could catch anything from a Salmon to a Ling Cod depending on your location. Unless you know for sure, its best to release the fish unhurt.

And if you ever catch a Giant Black Sea Bass or a Great White Shark of any size, don't hesitate to release as soon as you know its one of them or even think it could be one. Some people get them out of the water and take a ton of pictures and then try to release. Next thing you see is a dead fish floating in the surf. Don't be that guy. The He** that comes down on anyone doing it is unbelievable. Best to be remembered doing the right thing by a few, than remembered by an entire fishing community for being an idiot. Don't be that guy, its never worth it. Not that you ever would, just saying. Other people read these stories so it could help someone else as well.

Be safe, have fun and post lots of reports:Fishing Hole:
WWO

Got_fish?
04-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks alot :Smile:
I'm all for going by the book and following the rules.. Just got my lisence two days ago and I can't wait to go tomorrow I most likely won't be taking anything home but you just never know so I went down to the local fishing store.. Which by the way I hate going to.. The guy working the register never gives me advice and it just always feels like he just wants me to buy and leave :Confused:
Anyhow.. I got a booklet their which has the fishing regulations I was looking for [=
I'm thinking of hitting the beach early.. 5 or 6 am tmmrow.. Not exactly sure if that's the best idea .. Any thoughts on that? I'll be going to Leo Carrillo