PDA

View Full Version : HOLY HALIBUT! NEW PB 4/17 Pics Included

Mr_Dunev
04-17-2012, 02:03 PM
LONG POST:EyePop:

Today was definitely my best Halibut day, in my short 6 month career as a Surf Fisherman. I put a lot of time on the sand and this is only my third legal. Hopefully this fish will get the ball rolling and be a sign of a great summer.:Envious: Sorry for the long report, but I am going to try and give lots of details.

AO: LA County
Water: 56-57
Air: Low 70's
Clarity: Crystal Clear, occasional piece of kelp. Became very kelpy after a couple hours
Waves: 2-3ft shore pounders, 9-12sec, got worse after a couple hours
Tide:High tide at 0800
Rod: Phenix XG3-Glass 7'9"
Reel: Abu Garcia Revo Inshore w/40lbs Suffix 832
Lure: IMA Gyodo 110MD Sardine
Scent: Pro Cure Calico Cocktail

I had found this spot earlier this year on google maps, and tried hitting it in early February but got skunked. I had talked to one of the life guards, who told me that they have seen people catch big halibut here in the past. I pushed the place to the back of my mind until last night. I was torn between a spot I had had some success at, or trying this spot again. Let's just say I made a good decision on where to fish today.

I parked around 0600 with all of my gear ready to go. I hit the sand and started moving north, staying a good distance back from the 3-foot trench right up at the water line. I could see the water was clear, but still dark out so I used a Red/Silver/Blue ima lure that I have had success with before the sun comes up, and in slightly murky water. I worked the beach for a couple an hour, with no love on the hardbait and decided to switch to my Kroc. I continued moving north with no bites and decided to hook on a Big Hammer in "sexy smelt". After almost an hour and a half with no bites, I wasn't feeling too hopeful but I was still enjoying being on the sand...It was a beautiful day.

I can see someone fly fishing down the beach with a nice big sunhat, and half finger gloves and I have a feeling I know who it is. I decide that since the sun is just beginning to hit the sand, to change to my Sardine ima gyodo 110MD, it works best in clear water and sunny skies. I find some nice structure and cast a few times in the vicinity looking for the "Right kind" of flat fish. A few casts in 3 feet away from me I get a BIG hit. HEAD SHAKES and then he is gone! I can't tell how big he is but he feels nice, and is putting up a crazy fight. After a few minutes I get him close enough to see it is easily my PB halibut. My heart starts to race, and he starts to suicide roll! :EyePop: I have never seen a fish go so crazy, flipping/shaking trying as hard as he can to throw the hook. I am trying to get my Lip Grippers out of my bag, when a BIG wave comes in, and he shoots up to the high tide mark. I quickly get him with the grip, and start walking toward the fly fisherman so he can take a quick snap of me and my NEW PB:Big Grin:. It turns out is IS who I thought it was Jiro aka Azure, funny how we had just talked yesterday about hitting the sand together. Fate? haha. When I reached him I saw he too had a Halibut on-land so we decided to do a group photo of our butts.:Secret: We talked for a few minutes, then I went back to my spot and he continued at his.

0725 NEW PB 26.5"
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0317.jpg
Yes I wear a tie when I fish,
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0319.jpg

I decide that since I have never eaten halibut before it is time to take this one home with me. I bury him in the sand, take a short water break, eat my banana and keep fishing. I cast out in the same spot and start to reel it in, as soon as I can feel the sandbar/upward slope of the sand, I slow my lure down to a crawl moving it about an inch every 2 seconds, feeling the slight tugs of my lure digging into the sand. Suddenly my lure stops, I feel shake shake, and off he goes! hahaha Another one on. I try to shout to Jiro but he is too far down the beach. I quickly land this little fella and am glad to put another butt on the sand.

0742 Little 15"
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0324.jpg

I can't believe my luck, 2 in a row! I decide I'm not going to change a thing, so after a quick picture I set him off to be with his family. I step into my old boot prints and try to cast exactly where I did before. Again I reel in at a steady pace until I feel the sand again, and slow it down to an almost dead stop. A few seconds go by where it is painstakingly slow, and my lure stops again...TWITCH TWITCH, bam I set the hook, and he is off again. HAHAHAHAHA It is such an awesome feeling, to know exactly when your about to get hit. I quickly bring him in take a photo.. As I look through the camera I do a double take and say, holy sh*t its the same fish! I look at my last fish and then at this one, and at first I am convinced it is the same fish. After I measure though, and get a good look at his tail I realize that they were different. Must have been sitting on the EXACT same spot though, blending into the background. I release the fish to to join his companions.

0746 16.5"
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0325.jpg

I am thinking- my luck can't get any better I have just caught 3 halibut back to back, and up until today I have only caught 8 within six months there is no way my day could get better. Fortunately for me.....I was wrong. I step up to bat again, and cast...again into the same spot. I reel until I feel sand, slow it down to a snails pace inch by inch. My lure stops SHAKE SHAKE, FISH ON!!! :LOL: This is crazy!!! By this time Jiro close enough to yell at, and I scream "you have to fish here!!!" I land my 4th butt for the day, and by the way he fought I was sure he was legal, but he wasn't :Crying: hahaha poor me right?

0752 almost 17" Helluva fighter!
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0326.jpg

I am out of breath with all the excitement, and decide to take a break to eat my PB&J. I tell Jiro where to fish, so he can join in on the fun. Unfortunately I seemed to have caught all the fish in the area. :Embarrassed: We worked the beach for another hour with no more bites.

CONCLUSION
This is a day I will never forget. Since it's my first time eating halibut, I might as well get my recipe from the best.... Thanks Arthur and the "Iron Chef" for the Hali-kabob recipe, I invited my parents over to dinner. I will add the cooked pictures tonight.

Here he is ready to be filleted, and with a better measuring tape
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0330.jpg

Thanks for reading,
Lucas

HERE ARE THE DINNER PHOTOS

Preperation
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0332.jpg
BBQ Warming up
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0333.jpg
Our cook for this evening
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0334.jpg
Almost Ready
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0335.jpg
Round 1
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0336.jpg
Round 2
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0337.jpg

And we only cooked half the fish, looking forward to more tomorrow!

Armofisher818
04-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Wow looks like a sick day nice fish. Isn't eating a banana while fishing bad luck? Reading ur post made me happy too great job

Tammyn77
04-17-2012, 02:47 PM
YAY!!!!!! That's so awesome..i should have woken up this morning to go with you! Oh well....can't wait to taste my first hali! :Dancing Banana::Big Smile:

sweetfish
04-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Congrats on your epic day. The tie could be a new dress code for the SWAT family. What do you think Arthur and Mr. Bones?

frankjz
04-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Way to go, man! Holy moly, rock 'n rolly! That's more halibut than I've caught in my life and I'm an old dude. Enjoy the meal.

Ifishtoolittle
04-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Isn't eating a banana while fishing bad luck? Reading ur post made me happy too great job

Nonsense! Bananas give you luck if anything. :LOL: actually it's just a superstition to have a banana on a boat as it is believed to be the cause of sinking of a vessel.
For shore fishing I'm not sure if the superstition applies.

And very nice job on the PB Lucas.

bloox8
04-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Nice man!! Seems like theyre back!

I was going to head out yesterday but had some stuff to take care of. I cant wait to get back out there and battle the surf.

Thanks for sharing your post man. It made me really happy!

Thien

Which Way Out
04-17-2012, 05:21 PM
It's the Tie, what else could it be...................:ROFL:

Lucas I am very glad to see you get a legal. You have been thrashing the water a lot and today it paid off. Enjoy the dinner with Tammy and your Parents.

You get to eat at the Head of the table tonight. Good Job:Beer Toast:
WWO

l>
l
l___ ____
l/l, ;[___:Thumbs Up:];
l----L _=OlllllllO_
()_) ( ()_)-*---)_)

DockRat
04-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Excellent Lucas. Your on fire !
Welcome Tammyn77 :Smile:
DR

Mr_Dunev
04-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Dinner Pics up

bones
04-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Awesome job Lucas.
Congrats on the New PB.....Very nice write up.
You have worked hard and deserve it for sure young man. The food pics are great and Tammy's smile says it all. She looks very happy and proud of you!

Keep up the great work!

Now go get a 30 incher!

bones
04-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Congrats on your epic day. The tie could be a new dress code for the SWAT family. What do you think Arthur and Mr. Bones?

That is a horrible idea!
SWAT fishing requires an individual to NOT have a self tied noose around their necks. Once you fish the "CRUSH" Zone.....You will understand!

bones
04-17-2012, 09:06 PM
YAY!!!!!! That's so awesome..i should have woken up this morning to go with you! Oh well....can't wait to taste my first hali! :Dancing Banana::Big Smile:

Welcome to the FNN Tammy.

Looking forward to seeing you hit the sand and giving Lucas a run for his money sometime soon.

Which Way Out
04-17-2012, 09:19 PM
That is a horrible idea!
SWAT fishing requires an individual to NOT have a self tied noose around their necks. Once you fish the "CRUSH" Zone.....You will understand!

You got that right Mike. Besides its Fishing not a Funeral. That's the only time you will see me in a tie..

exfactor
04-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Waiting for pic of LC caught in tie! Preferably with all 3 trebles entwined. It has never been posted before that i know of :)

jerryG
04-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Well done Mr Dunlev.. At the rate you have been going I don't anticipate it taking too long for you raise the PB bar again.

JerryG

Kidfish
04-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Damit Lucas you beat to it nice catchbro.

Cableguy
04-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Got to be one of the best reports written. Felt like I was there. Glad you put that day on film. It's definately going to be hard to beat that entire day. Congratulations!:Beer Toast:

FKNChristopH
04-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Way to go on the PB! I'm diggin the tie look. It must of been your source of good fishing.

The cook is pretty cute too! A nice score in both ways..

*Shakkaaaa*

Wingnut
04-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Well done Lucas... :Thumbs Up:
Funny, I was working yesterday and was thinking what a beautiful day it would be to be in the surf.
I was saying to myself that I bet we're going to see a legal Halibut report very soon... and then I got your text. :Envious:
The Iron Chef says that your Hali Kabobs looks great! :Wink:
Now go out and get yourself another one... I haven't been out there in a couple of weeks, getting withdrawals, lol

bachiboy
04-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Very nice! Congrats on your PB Mr. D. I think I'd better start wearing a tie when I hit the surf before work...might change my flatfish luck.:Wink: Don't know about the fish, but I might start scaring off the people at work though. :LOL: Thanks for the report...great read.

Mr_Dunev
04-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Wow looks like a sick day nice fish. Isn't eating a banana while fishing bad luck? Reading ur post made me happy too great job

I hope not, it is one of the easiest things to grab while I am still half asleep! Glad my report made you happy :)

You say that everytime I catch a fish, how does thursday at 0500 sound for you?

Way to go, man! Holy moly, rock 'n rolly! That's more halibut than I've caught in my life and I'm an old dude. Enjoy the meal.
Thanks, I have just been persistent, and skunked more times than I care to mention. I know if I target other species more often I will catch more fish, but I keep putting that lure back on:LOL:

It would be a great picture seeing all the SWAT guys in ties, but I don't think it would last very long.

Nonsense! Bananas give you luck if anything. :LOL: actually it's just a superstition to have a banana on a boat as it is believed to be the cause of sinking of a vessel.
For shore fishing I'm not sure if the superstition applies.

And very nice job on the PB Lucas.

Glad my banana isn't going to sink a ship anytime soon. Thanks

Nice man!! Seems like theyre back!

I was going to head out yesterday but had some stuff to take care of. I cant wait to get back out there and battle the surf.

Thanks for sharing your post man. It made me really happy!

Thien

Don't worry, when you get out there you will probably blow everyone away with a monster halibut or a monster stripper. You have got the gift, and this summer is going to be good to you.
Thanks

It's the Tie, what else could it be...................:ROFL:

Lucas I am very glad to see you get a legal. You have been thrashing the water a lot and today it paid off. Enjoy the dinner with Tammy and your Parents.

You get to eat at the Head of the table tonight. Good Job:Beer Toast:
WWO

l>
l
l___ ____
l/l, ;[___:Thumbs Up:];
l----L _=OlllllllO_
()_) ( ()_)-*---)_)

Thanks Bill,

It has definitely been a wild goose chase looking for a legal. It feels good to have finally caught one, and refilled my get-up-and-fish tank. When you come to LA we'll get you on some nice butts, to bring home to Noriko.

Excellent Lucas. Your on fire !
Welcome Tammyn77 :Smile:
DR

Thanks Martin,
She finally joined haha

Awesome job Lucas.
Congrats on the New PB.....Very nice write up.
You have worked hard and deserve it for sure young man. The food pics are great and Tammy's smile says it all. She looks very happy and proud of you!

Keep up the great work!

Now go get a 30 incher!

That is my goal this year! With many other legals in between :LOL:
PM sent

That is a horrible idea!

I have fished the CRUSH zone once or twice, but with the tie tucked into my waders, and my jacket zipped all the way up, I hope I t doesn't get caught on anything.

You got that right Mike. Besides its Fishing not a Funeral. That's the only time you will see me in a tie..

Aww man, I love wearing a tie. I wish everyone wore a tie more often.

Well done Mr Dunlev.. At the rate you have been going I don't anticipate it taking too long for you raise the PB bar again.

JerryG

Thanks Jerry,

I am going to to my best, and keep fishing hard.

Damit Lucas you beat to it nice catchbro.
I didn't know it was a race! Whats our next goal, a 30 incher?

READY, SET, GO!

Got to be one of the best reports written. Felt like I was there. Glad you put that day on film. It's definately going to be hard to beat that entire day. Congratulations!:Beer Toast:

I'm glad you liked it. When the fishing is really good, I want to give a detailed account so people like me can keep track of different conditions for different AO's. I went back there today, just because yesterday was so good, and the area had COMPLETELY changed. Big waves and kelp covering every sq inch.
Thanks again

Way to go on the PB! I'm diggin the tie look. It must of been your source of good fishing.

The cook is pretty cute too! A nice score in both ways..

*Shakkaaaa*
haha thanks. Don't tell her though, she LOVES compliments!

Well done Lucas... :Thumbs Up:
Funny, I was working yesterday and was thinking what a beautiful day it would be to be in the surf.
I was saying to myself that I bet we're going to see a legal Halibut report very soon... and then I got your text. :Envious:
The Iron Chef says that your Hali Kabobs looks great! :Wink:
Now go out and get yourself another one... I haven't been out there in a couple of weeks, getting withdrawals, lol

Glad to have her approval. I got lucky and ended up at the right place at the right time. Lets keep our fingers crossed for great conditions, for a very long time!
Sorry surfers, but that means small waves!

Thanks

Very nice! Congrats on your PB Mr. D. I think I'd better start wearing a tie when I hit the surf before work...might change my flatfish luck.:Wink: Don't know about the fish, but I might start scaring off the people at work though. :LOL: Thanks for the report...great read.

The reason for the tie is job hunting, and.... don't tell my GF but I am having an affair with the ocean:Secret:

flyngby
04-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Lucas,

Hard work and persistance pays off!

Nice work finding the little honey hole!

The flattiekabobs look delicious!

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/Grunion.jpg

N3FF
04-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Congrats on the Nice But!! I havent yet had the chance to hit up the surf this year.. Looking forward to it thoough

Armofisher818
04-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Just imagine what you could've caught if you didn't bring the banana lmaooo

lip rippin sob
04-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Sick dude,,Grats on the flats!!!
Nice PB!

Karyn
04-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Great report! Congrats! A job well done :)

Santa Fe Eric
04-19-2012, 11:09 PM
I think that it is appropriate that you wear a tie. Fishing is serious business.
Nicenwork and yeah the food looks great!

SFE

murrieta angler
04-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Well done Lucas!
You have been diligent with great results in such a short time.
The water is gettinging warmer down here and I hope to be in the surf this afternoon.
Robert
<><

good looking grubb also!?