PDA

View Full Version : please help

kotton909
04-16-2012, 11:54 PM
hello fnn'ers im new to salt water fishing i usually fish for bass im going on a 3/4 day charter in june out of san diego. well what i wanted to know is will my rod and reel i use for bass in freswater be good enough for barrcuda, yellowtail, and other salt water fish we might catch i have a7 foot medium heavy with a bait casting rod with 25 pound braid and another spinning reel with 20lb florocarbon will they work ????

CraigH
04-17-2012, 03:00 AM
20 lb floro or mono will work for almost all the fishing you'll be doing on 3/4 day trips. You want at least 150 yards on the reel in case you catch something bigger that will pull some line, or have to bottom fish in some depth.

I'd bring the 25lb braid rig along, but a lot of boats don't like fishing braid because of the tangles/line cutting problems. Could you put a 20 or 25 lb "top shot" of mono or floro on it or respool it for the trip?

Saltwater can be tough on rods and reels, so i'd suggest rinsing everything off with fresh water when you get home.

RyO K
04-17-2012, 03:11 PM
You probably will need heavier gear. In June im guessing they will be fishing Yellowtail at the Coronado's then fall back to rock fishing.

I wouldnt take anything less than 30lbs.

DockRat
04-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Bring those rods and a 30 - 40 lb rod.
DR

bones
04-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Depending on the boat you are taking you can probably rent a heavier rig instead of buying one. You will be fishing much deeper and harsher conditions than you are used to and your FW bass gear will be in for a serious test. Like DR said......Bring your rods but get your hands on a heavier rig more suitable for yellowtail for example. You will get OWNED on one of your rigs by a decent yellow.....In other words....Don't bring a knife to a gunfight. You will lose!

kotton909
04-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Depending on the boat you are taking you can probably rent a heavier rig instead of buying one. You will be fishing much deeper and harsher conditions than you are used to and your FW bass gear will be in for a serious test. Like DR said......Bring your rods but get your hands on a heavier rig more suitable for yellowtail for example. You will get OWNED on one of your rigs by a decent yellow.....In other words....Don't bring a knife to a gunfight. You will lose!

thanks guys