PDA

View Full Version : Bucket or stringer?

Cableguy
04-16-2012, 10:24 AM
I've been dying to try surf fishing and have read numerous posts and found some great advice. The only thing I haven't found is what do you keep your catch in? Not that I'm planning to keep everything I catch but just in case the fish isn't going to make it or it's something I might want to eat.....I haven't seen any pictures or read anyhting in regards to what do you transfer your catch with if you are going to continue to fish. I know I'm a newby but I don't want to look like it out there.

Ifishtoolittle
04-16-2012, 02:11 PM
A stringer would be more ergonomic. And, from what I've seen from some posts on the FNN some anglers will also use large clips or snaps to hold their catch.

plumbertom
04-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Try this; http://www.austinkayak.com/products/4139/Big-Game-Fish-Clip-Stringer.html

CraigH
04-16-2012, 06:24 PM
I might be missing something here, but if you are talking about surf fishing from a beach or rocky area what do you attach the clips to? And, if you use a stringer, how do you keep the fish on the stringer from rolling around in the waves?

I used to carry a cooler when I surf fished. Drinks (and bait if you are bait fishing) stay cool while you are fishing, you can keep your tackle in a container inside the cooler, and can use it as a seat.

Ifishtoolittle
04-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Try this; http://www.austinkayak.com/products/4139/Big-Game-Fish-Clip-Stringer.html

^Yes! This was what I was referring to when I mentioned the clips/snaps.

DockRat
04-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Depends if your moving or hanging in one area.
I carry a gunny sack. Some beach goers get upset at a dead fish, bad PR.
DR

bsp
04-17-2012, 08:56 AM
I might be missing something here, but if you are talking about surf fishing from a beach or rocky area what do you attach the clips to? And, if you use a stringer, how do you keep the fish on the stringer from rolling around in the waves?

I used to carry a cooler when I surf fished. Drinks (and bait if you are bait fishing) stay cool while you are fishing, you can keep your tackle in a container inside the cooler, and can use it as a seat.

You attach it to the belt on your waders or to your backpack. It lets you stay mobile until you catch something, and it's easy to keep fishing after you've caught something too. With all the walking I do when I fish the surf, I can imagine hauling a cooler everywhere.

CraigH
04-17-2012, 11:35 AM
You attach it to the belt on your waders or to your backpack. It lets you stay mobile until you catch something, and it's easy to keep fishing after you've caught something too. With all the walking I do when I fish the surf, I can imagine hauling a cooler everywhere.

Got it, and thanks for the explanation. I was thinking more along the lines of surf fishing with heavier rods and reels in sand spikes and didn't realize you guys wade in the surf.

Cableguy
04-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I thought it would be tough carring a bucket around when you have to be mobile unless you are baiting and waiting. I should of been more clear.