PDA

View Full Version : BISHOP TRIP!! (PVR) April 12th-14th, 2012 ( LOTS OF PICS!!)

Jbfish
04-15-2012, 10:07 PM
So since im new to the site this is my like 3rd post. i wanna describe the whole trip haha so if you wanna just see the fishing scroll down. well to start off, i left OC on thursday morning about 9am. with 2 buddies. the drive was about 5 hours and we got the the PVR campground.
i stayed at the lower camp ground next to the river cause the pit was to windy. well we set up camp, putting the tent up in 20 mph winds was a B**CH haha once we got that set up i walked up and down the river and tried fishing with panther martins, 6 pack with red hooks with absolutely no luck, and yes i made sure i stayed on the side of the bridge closest to pvr due to the regulations for the other side. decided to call it a day and try PVR the next day. the night was so cold but we managed lol.
REAL FISHING STARTS!!!
woke up and started fishing around 10. we got up the PVR and walked about 400 yards to a large tree next to the water and set up.
i was using a daiwa ultra light rod 5 1/2 foot i think with a shimano reel. and also a shakespeare rod and reel light action.
i had 6 lb main line and 4 lb berkley vanish flourocarbon leader on both poles. one pole i ran night crawler dipped in bite-on garlic size 14 treble. the other chartreuse power bait on size 16 treble. 4 fish decent size. 3 on the power bait that we kept and the one on the worm was small so we released it. cooked up the fish, seasoned then in foil. good meal!! :Big Grin: :Big Grin:
SECOND DAY OF FISHING
woke up around 830 got to the water around 9. walked about 150 yards and set up both poles. my daiwa pole was set up with about a 4 foot leader and a size 16 treble with spring grn/yellow garlic powerbait. tossed this out with a 1/8 ounce egg sinker and set in between 2 rocks. as i start to set up the second pole.. BENDO!!! i set the drag pretty light so i saw the rod bend over and heard the clicks from the reel from the fish running. i grab the pole and tighten the drag a bit and start to reel in. i grabbed my net and got it. i would say it was about 1 lb but i dont have a scale and im not that great with eyeballing haha. i put this on my stringer and set up my second pole. the other pole was set up with about 5 foot leader with size 16 treble and chartreuse power bait. the waiting began. i sat around for about 30 minutes when i get a bite. i pull it in and its another 1 lber. this also goes on my stringer. re set up that pole and get it back into the water. about 15 minutes later BENDO!! my pole doubles over and i know i got a huge fish.. i tighten the drag a little to try to tire him out (like its a monster) haha i get him in and net him. i would say about 2 lbs. as im grabbing the stringer, one fish on the stringer was still alive. he made a break for it and i didnt have a good grip :Sad: .. i lost my stringer and 2 quality fish, one dead and one barely alive. once i got over this anger for losing 2 fish i walked over to some people near me and asked if i could borrow a stringer. the guy had one! i used his and put this 2lb big boy on it then continued fishing. within the next 2 hours i caught 4 more fish, kept two but gave 2 away. these fish that i caught were all good sizes about 2 lbs each. i ended up happy with 3 fish on my stringer that i took home. we packed up our stuff around noon and headed home. once i got home i gutted the fish and one had eggs in it. i kinda felt bad but theres nothing i can do. (is there anyway to know if the fish has eggs so maybe i can just release, if so let me know). seasoned all three fish and cooked them in foil. great dinner haha. all in all had a great trip up the bishop and plan to do it again! the fishing was great! i caught a total of 10 fish in about 6 hours of fishing. hope to drive up again soon.. here are some pics of the trip and the fish.

P.S. during the fishing i caught a fish that wasnt very big but had to keep him cause he swallowed the hook that had powerbait. is there anyway i can avoid this problem? any feedback is appreciated as im not extremely experienced but id love to learn more and more fishing trip.

ALSO, any questions feel free to ask! id like to become a regular user of this site :Razz: THANKS FOR READING!!!

RTG
04-16-2012, 08:35 PM
If you "deephook" a fish and don't want to keep it, cut the line as close as possible to the hook and let 'em go. A lot of times the fish will dissolve the hook and it will survive...or you could use lures instead of bait and greatly reduce the chances of the fish swallowing the bait.
It looked like you had a good time. Thanks for sharing the trip!

PilgrimDG
04-16-2012, 11:03 PM
I've never seen studies of fish "dissolving" a hook, but I know it can be passed. Cutting the line is better than yanking the hook out, but you'd still be killing an average of 20% of your fish, and the majority that live won't be able to pass the hook. See this study, page 573: http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Research/Aquatic/pdf/Postreleasemortality.pdf

Sierra_Smitty
04-17-2012, 12:26 PM
I've never seen studies of fish "dissolving" a hook, but I know it can be passed. Cutting the line is better than yanking the hook out, but you'd still be killing an average of 20% of your fish, and the majority that live won't be able to pass the hook. See this study, page 573: http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Research/Aquatic/pdf/Postreleasemortality.pdf

Great link. Interesting.

Piss on Myspace
04-18-2012, 09:52 AM
awesome trip, looks peaceful...thanks for the report and pics

sierraslam
04-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Nice trip! Looks like some nice size trout. Got to love cooking fresh trout while camping out. Pilgrim... great link!

teejay
04-18-2012, 08:35 PM
You guys are tough: I was up in Bishop around the same time. The original plan was to camp out at the pit also but I whimped out and got a motel room. The snow level was sure down low on Saturday morning. Thanks for the report.