PDA

View Full Version : PVR (bishop)

OCfishermen
04-13-2012, 08:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdyii4zTAiw

Jbro
04-13-2012, 08:32 PM
i think that fish grabbed with a rag likely dies and i am sure you dont want that as you are practicing cpr. Maybe a wet net and the release without the rag grab.

OCfishermen
04-13-2012, 09:13 PM
the rag was wet, i always wet it before grabbing them

TroutOnly
04-13-2012, 10:14 PM
wet or dry rags will rub the slime coat off the trout and it will die,the coating protects it,,,,get a rubber net and do the trout a favor,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

OCfishermen
04-13-2012, 10:20 PM
oh didnt know that, some guys told me a wet rag was fine but thanks for the info

Sierra_Smitty
04-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Thanks for posting the vid..glad you guys knocked 'em dead at PVR. Any color or bait suggestions for the folks out there? Did you fish the dam side of the lake or the inlet side?

I don't want to pile on, you wanted to let fish go so they would survive...but the above comments are accurate. Also, those red tools of death work great at both getting hooks out and killing trout. I don't carry them at my resort or marina for that reason. A lot of people mean well when they C&R but practicing C&R in an improper manner usually means dead fish on the lake bottom which isn't any different than dead fish on a stringer. Come late August the evidence of powerbait C&R is very evident at a lot of Sierra lakes including mine.

seal
04-14-2012, 08:45 AM
a lot of people mean well when they c&r but practicing c&r in an improper manner usually means dead fish on the lake bottom which isn't any different than dead fish on a stringer. Come late august the evidence of powerbait c&r is very evident at a lot of sierra lakes including mine.

thank you!

OCfishermen
04-14-2012, 11:05 AM
thanks im only 16 and i learn as i go but i try to get as much info as i can so thanks for helping and we went to the boat launch and the bite was wide open anything worked but the best was yellow and white balls

OCfishermen
04-14-2012, 11:09 AM
and if you say that red thing is pretty much death for them what do you recommend using???

sierraslam
04-14-2012, 12:35 PM
"lot of people mean well when they C&R but practicing C&R in an improper manner usually means dead fish on the lake bottom which isn't any different than dead fish on a stringer" Only 1 small disagreement here. At least the trout on a stringer will get eaten. Unless it goes in freezer, then a dumpster. Maybe it's better to just take your first 5 and go home when fishing bait? When fishing Crawlers you can lip hook, but with dough baits forget about it.

Viejo
04-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Look up the Ketchum Release tool on the internet. You don't touch the fish (that is....if you haven't drug up up on the dirt bank first) and it is very quick. The tool is designed to work for fish that are hooked in the lip. Anything hooked with a treble hook inside of the mouth and down in the gullet is pretty much gonna die soon after release.

angelsfan951
04-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks for posting the vid..glad you guys knocked 'em dead at PVR. Any color or bait suggestions for the folks out there? Did you fish the dam side of the lake or the inlet side?

I don't want to pile on, you wanted to let fish go so they would survive...but the above comments are accurate. Also, those red tools of death work great at both getting hooks out and killing trout. I don't carry them at my resort or marina for that reason. A lot of people mean well when they C&R but practicing C&R in an improper manner usually means dead fish on the lake bottom which isn't any different than dead fish on a stringer. Come late August the evidence of powerbait C&R is very evident at a lot of Sierra lakes including mine.

thank you!

since both of u guys are far more experienced then me i wanted to ask u. I always use power bait with treble hooks but after i catch them i put them in my basket MOST OF THE TIME they are still alive at the end of the day when I'm ready to leave. Would if be safe to release them then as i know that they are alive still or do they run a chance of dying ??

Sierra_Smitty
04-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Only 1 small disagreement here. At least the trout on a stringer will get eaten. Unless it goes in freezer, then a dumpster. .

Indeed. I was referring to the state of the fish being the same...namely dead. Certainly agree about fishing being eaten as opposed to wasted.

Sierra_Smitty
04-14-2012, 06:32 PM
since both of u guys are far more experienced then me i wanted to ask u. I always use power bait with treble hooks but after i catch them i put them in my basket MOST OF THE TIME they are still alive at the end of the day when I'm ready to leave. Would if be safe to release them then as i know that they are alive still or do they run a chance of dying ??

That may be your experience but that is not common...most of the stringers or baskets that come to the dock with bait caught fish are long dead by the time they get there. However, even if they were alive, I wouldn't recommend releasing gut hooked fish after being in a basket for a few hours. Even if they live for a while, they're likely not to survive long. If you feel you must release gut hooked fish, handle them very lightly (preferably just leave them in the water) and snip the line right at the mouth. That gives those fish a lot better chance of living long enough to be caught by someone else and ending up on their stringer. I personally have caught dozens of fish on mini-jigs with line coming out of their mouth so they obviously can (or can try) to eat in that state. If they're bleeding from the gills or gullet though, keep 'em - they're as good as dead.

Sierra_Smitty
04-14-2012, 06:35 PM
thanks im only 16 and i learn as i go but i try to get as much info as i can so thanks for helping and we went to the boat launch and the bite was wide open anything worked but the best was yellow and white balls

Thanks for the info on the best colors, I'll pass 'em on to inquiring minds. I was 16 once too...everybody starts somewhere...you learn more about catching 'em as you go, and taking care of the resource too.

seal
04-14-2012, 09:40 PM

If you catch trout and put them in a basket you are already actually breaking the DFG regulations. Live baskets are illegal for trout if the DFG decides to push it. If you release any trout live or semi-live then you are breaking the law/regulations. These laws/regulations do not necessarily apply to pay to fish lakes but anywhere you need a fishing license they do.

I

Viejo
04-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Good question. I was sixteen once...a very long time ago. Smitty and Seal are right on. The DFG warden for the Mono County Eastern Sierra actually contacted a poster here after reading about his "culling" trout from a basket on one of popular lakes in the June Lakes loop. If you have five fish in a basket...you're done for the day.

RTG
04-16-2012, 08:52 PM
If you catch trout and put them in a basket you are already actually breaking the DFG regulations. Live baskets are illegal for trout if the DFG decides to push it. If you release any trout live or semi-live then you are breaking the law/regulations. These laws/regulations do not necessarily apply to pay to fish lakes but anywhere you need a fishing license they do.
I

Actually the law says that trout cannot be maintained or possessed in a live condition in any container "on or attached to any boat." So if you have them in a basket on shore you're OK. Other considerations are if you have your limit of 5 trout (or whatever the limit is for your particular water) in possession you can't continue to fish for trout-even if you're C&Ring. And if you cull a small fish for a bigger one and the small one is dead, or close to death, you could be cited for waste of fish.
No disrespect meant to seal on this, just wanted to make sure we were right on. BTW, the intent of the law is to prevent fishermen from using trout as live bait.

Nastybite
04-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Actually the law says that trout cannot be maintained or possessed in a live condition in any container "on or attached to any boat." So if you have them in a basket on shore you're OK. Other considerations are if you have your limit of 5 trout (or whatever the limit is for your particular water) in possession you can't continue to fish for trout-even if you're C&Ring. And if you cull a small fish for a bigger one and the small one is dead, or close to death, you could be cited for waste of fish.
No disrespect meant to seal on this, just wanted to make sure we were right on. BTW, the intent of the law is to prevent fishermen from using trout as live bait.

Actually that basket is considered a container. I've seen people being cited for it before because people were sharing the basket and you can't tell how many each person had. You have to have them on a separate stringer.

RTG
04-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Actually that basket is considered a container. I've seen people being cited for it before because people were sharing the basket and you can't tell how many each person had. You have to have them on a separate stringer.

Yes it is (basket a container). But under the law the live trout have to be in a container (basket, livewell, cooler, etc.) attached to a boat. The section only prohibits live trout in some container in a boat. Check Cal. Code of Regulations, Title 14, Section 4.00 (e). There are no restrictions on sharing any container for your fish under the state laws and regulations. Some pay lakes require fishermen to use their own stringer, basket, etc., but it is not a state law. When in doubt read the regs.