PDA

View Full Version : Too soon for Catfish?

Bogus14
04-13-2012, 09:49 AM
I was thinking of heading to Corona Lake 2nd week of May. What do you guys think, too soon for a catfish bite? I usually like fishing Corona Lake Late June through Late Septemeber. Never been out for the kitties in May. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

mjc89
04-13-2012, 11:09 PM
My dads been catching cats a corona the last 3 weeks. Seems like they are starting to bite. You just got to find the right spots.

smokehound
04-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Catfishing is generally decent throughout the year, even in the middle of winter!

if you're in a boat, you'll get some nice kitties if you bring a good range of baits.

I catch catfish in ice-cold water all the time.

Just one thing-- DONT C-RIG FOR CATFISH.

mjc89
04-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Catfishing is generally decent throughout the year, even in the middle of winter!

if you're in a boat, you'll get some nice kitties if you bring a good range of baits.

I catch catfish in ice-cold water all the time.

Just one thing-- DONT C-RIG FOR CATFISH.

Why do you say no c-rig for cats?

smokehound
04-15-2012, 12:48 AM
Why do you say no c-rig for cats? Because of their jaw structure. They aren't bottom feeders, and have difficulty getting stuff on the bottom into their mouth.. They are incapable of sucking prey in like bass and other fish can.

Channel catfish always begin with a strong killing bite, then they try swallow it, which is why most people will hook them directly on the middle of the upper-lip If you miss this bite, and they dont get hooked, they will spend a while fumbling around, trying to swallow it. This is why fishermen often foul-hook them. Because of their jaws, they cannot effectively grasp something on the bottom.

Use a high/low, (hook above bottom) and your hookups will dramatically increase. They no longer have difficulty grabbing the bait.

It's not impossible to catch catfish with a C-rig, it's just often really difficult.. Imagine a spotfin croaker trying to eat something on the surface, and you'll see what I mean.

try a simple drop-shot as a catfish rig, you'll do pretty well.

mjc89
04-15-2012, 12:57 AM
I always use a c-rig. I use marshmallows to float my bait and circle hooks to lip hook them. Gets them every time.

Hitts0n
04-15-2012, 03:19 AM
Its never too early to fish for cats! I seen an old man pull one up about every 35 mins with cured trout guts.
Limits! I couldnt be lieve it..........LMAO !!

smokehound
04-17-2012, 11:03 PM
I always use a c-rig. I use marshmallows to float my bait and circle hooks to lip hook them. Gets them every time.yeah but that's because you got the marshmallow, i'm talking about baits like mackerel, shrimp, or liver-- those are best on a high-low/dropshot.

mjc89
04-17-2012, 11:29 PM
yeah but that's because you got the marshmallow, i'm talking about baits like mackerel, shrimp, or liver-- those are best on a high-low/dropshot.

I use a marshmallow with those baits too to float them off the bottom. I know what you mean though. Thats a killer rig from a tube or boat.

angelsfan951
04-17-2012, 11:43 PM
yeah but that's because you got the marshmallow, i'm talking about baits like mackerel, shrimp, or liver-- those are best on a high-low/dropshot.

if u don't mind explaining whats a high-low dropshot??? maybe a picture of ur set up?

FKNChristopH
04-19-2012, 01:42 PM
1 hook or 2, but like this.. weight on bottom

http://i34.servimg.com/u/f34/11/11/46/76/pateri11.jpg

*shakkaaa*

etucker1959
04-19-2012, 02:12 PM
1 hook or 2, but like this.. weight on bottom

http://i34.servimg.com/u/f34/11/11/46/76/pateri11.jpg

*shakkaaa*

If casted from shore, what is the advantage over a C-RIG? Besides the two baits on the same line.

smokehound
04-19-2012, 06:51 PM
it keeps the bait off the bottom.