PDA

View Full Version : Regressing to beat the stripe

bachiboy
04-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Short version...wide open perch bite in Samo.

Long version...
So, I get a break in my schedule today and shot down to Samo beach to get a line wet between the rainstorms. I had to strip down my Curado last night, for the first time, cuz it got dunked on my last outing and thought I’d go give it a quick test run. Winds were chilly and blowing at about 10ish...just enough to give me a slight bout of backlashitis. I was also testing out a different line, Seaguar InvisX, to see how that worked. Knowing that there was a chance this test wasn’t going to work out, I tied on a standard sardine pattern instead of one of my custom jobs thinking that there’d be a possibility of losing it.

About a half hour into the session I get a nice sized birds nest and start working it out. As I start stripping out the line, it pops...great. :Angry: I hold on to the line going to the water and start trying to get the rest of the backlash out when something yanks the broken end out of my hand. I’m on dry sand so I look around to see if it was just a surge and if the line is just laying there, but that damned thing was gone. I’m figuring it got bit and took off. I scared the hell outta some homeless guy sleeping on the sand when I let out a “familiar” war cry. I shoulda known better and handlined the LC in first, then worked out the rest of the fargin backlash. :Beat Stick:

So, not wanting to lose any more LCs to this crap line and my crappy casting abilities, I tie on a Krocadile and start flinging...cursing the whole time. About an hour into it, I breakdown. I’ve been stankin it up with that damned stripe down my back for the last couple of weeks so I relapse to perch tactics. I rig up a Carolina and dig up some old grubs at the bottom of my bag (since I left my crack at home...to fight the urge). First cast, boom...little wiggler. Next cast...13”er. I go for the camera to get visual proof...dead battery. :Explode: Oh well, keep fishing...and catching.

I fish the next hour or so and must have got over 30-40 fish. I lost count after 15. They were hitting the grub even when the tail was gone. I had one good hit that started shaking and even took a little drag before coming undone (I pinch the barbs on my perch rigs). Might have been a flat fish, but we’ll never know. Wouldn’t of been the first time I’ve gotten a hali to eat a small grub. The perch ranged from palm sized to the biggest which measured 14”. Lotta pregos in the mix. The 14” was as fat as I’ve ever seen...good sign for future stock. Everything was released unharmed. :Wink:

Hope you enjoyed the read...sorry no pics.
Don

bones
04-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Sounds like a day plagued with mishaps turned out ok. The curado worked and the fish count was great. All at SAMO never the less!
This weekend doesn't look good for flatty fishing but I bet the perch bite is going to be good. I might just do some perchin this weekend
rather than stay in like I planned.
As long as it pulls......It's all good!

Keep up the good work Don!

Which Way Out
04-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Short version...wide open perch bite in Samo.

Long version...
So, I get a break in my schedule today and shot down to Samo beach to get a line wet between the rainstorms. I had to strip down my Curado last night, for the first time, cuz it got dunked on my last outing and thought I’d go give it a quick test run. Winds were chilly and blowing at about 10ish...just enough to give me a slight bout of backlashitis. I was also testing out a different line, Seaguar InvisX, to see how that worked. Knowing that there was a chance this test wasn’t going to work out, I tied on a standard sardine pattern instead of one of my custom jobs thinking that there’d be a possibility of losing it.

About a half hour into the session I get a nice sized birds nest and start working it out. As I start stripping out the line, it pops...great. :Angry: I hold on to the line going to the water and start trying to get the rest of the backlash out when something yanks the broken end out of my hand. I’m on dry sand so I look around to see if it was just a surge and if the line is just laying there, but that damned thing was gone. I’m figuring it got bit and took off. I scared the hell outta some homeless guy sleeping on the sand when I let out a “familiar” war cry. I shoulda known better and handlined the LC in first, then worked out the rest of the fargin backlash. :Beat Stick:

So, not wanting to lose any more LCs to this crap line and my crappy casting abilities, I tie on a Krocadile and start flinging...cursing the whole time. About an hour into it, I breakdown. I’ve been stankin it up with that damned stripe down my back for the last couple of weeks so I relapse to perch tactics. I rig up a Carolina and dig up some old grubs at the bottom of my bag (since I left my crack at home...to fight the urge). First cast, boom...little wiggler. Next cast...13”er. I go for the camera to get visual proof...dead battery. :Explode: Oh well, keep fishing...and catching.

I fish the next hour or so and must have got over 30-40 fish. I lost count after 15. They were hitting the grub even when the tail was gone. I had one good hit that started shaking and even took a little drag before coming undone (I pinch the barbs on my perch rigs). Might have been a flat fish, but we’ll never know. Wouldn’t of been the first time I’ve gotten a hali to eat a small grub. The perch ranged from palm sized to the biggest which measured 14”. Lotta pregos in the mix. The 14” was as fat as I’ve ever seen...good sign for future stock. Everything was released unharmed. :Wink:

Hope you enjoyed the read...sorry no pics.
Don

Hey Don, I had the same problem with remembering how many fish I catch up until the past few months. Easy for me to remember now. 0, Zero, Nada, Squat, Zippo, Not A F-ing dang thing. Did I leave any out? And BTW 16 comes after 15:LOL:

You have done better than me lately. Keep rubbing it in.
WWO

sidified
04-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Great read indeed....keep'em coming, amigo..

Armofisher818
04-13-2012, 12:36 AM
40 perch is a sick *** day. Good job out there

DockRat
04-13-2012, 06:03 AM
Thats a lot of Perch. WTG.
DR

bachiboy
04-14-2012, 12:33 AM
Sounds like a day plagued with mishaps turned out ok. The curado worked and the fish count was great. All at SAMO never the less!
This weekend doesn't look good for flatty fishing but I bet the perch bite is going to be good. I might just do some perchin this weekend
rather than stay in like I planned.
As long as it pulls......It's all good!

Keep up the good work Don!

Thanks Bones! It was a trying event to start off, but it did work out really well. After reading the recent post by ScottD, it reminded me that it was just great to be out...the catching was just the icing on the cake.

Hey Don, I had the same problem with remembering how many fish I catch up until the past few months. Easy for me to remember now. 0, Zero, Nada, Squat, Zippo, Not A F-ing dang thing. Did I leave any out? And BTW 16 comes after 15:LOL:

You have done better than me lately. Keep rubbing it in.
WWO

I was like a kid counting his marbles. I was just about to count, "sixt..." and the next one hit. I was like, "Crap! Now I've lost count" and couldn't go back and start over. :LOL:

Great read indeed....keep'em coming, amigo..

Thanks! I'll keep trying to keep you guys entertained...just wish it didn't keep costing me LCs. :Wink:

40 perch is a sick *** day. Good job out there

Thanks! It was a pretty amazing change of events. Sorta like making chicken salad outta chicken [blank]. :Wink:

Thats a lot of Perch. WTG.
DR

Thanks DR! Can't imagine how much more I coulda done if I didn't have to leave. I left them biting. My hall pass granted by my wife had run out. She had already left 2 voicemails and 3 texts asking where the [blank] I was...oops! :EyePop:

GhettoBasster
04-14-2012, 07:35 AM
I coulda done if I didn't have to leave. I left them biting. My hall pass granted by my wife had run out. She had already left 2 voicemails and 3 texts asking where the [blank] I was...oops! :EyePop:[/QUOTE]

Don't you hate that???? You're in the middle of a great bite when you answer your phone and her voice on the other end says, "You're not have fun are you? You're not allowed to have fun." Great job on the BSPs and on the C&R. I've resorted to the perch for the skunk buster many times. No shame in my book.

jerryG
04-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Glad to hear you made it out Don.. Tough start but at least plan B ended up working out. I know all too well how easy it is to loose track of time when the fish are biting. Even more so on days that start out slow and end up wide. I hate to leave them biting but it helps secure the pass for next time. I know its discouraging when your loosing LCs but if you keep at it you will be well rewarded. Thanks for the report Don...

JerryG

bachiboy
04-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Don't you hate that???? You're in the middle of a great bite when you answer your phone and her voice on the other end says, "You're not have fun are you? You're not allowed to have fun." Great job on the BSPs and on the C&R. I've resorted to the perch for the skunk buster many times. No shame in my book.

Glad to hear you made it out Don.. Tough start but at least plan B ended up working out. I know all too well how easy it is to loose track of time when the fish are biting. Even more so on days that start out slow and end up wide. I hate to leave them biting but it helps secure the pass for next time. I know its discouraging when your loosing LCs but if you keep at it you will be well rewarded. Thanks for the report Don...

Thanks GB and Jerry,
The wife was actually cool about it when I told her about the day's fiasco and eventual outcome. She just needed me to get back so she could get some work done while I kept an eye on our son. Can't complain too much since I did get to wet a line for a couple of hours. :Wink:

Karyn
04-16-2012, 12:46 PM
That's a great photo of your son... cute!

bachiboy
04-17-2012, 12:45 AM
That's a great photo of your son... cute!

Thanks! He actually was just under a year old there and he wasn't real thrilled about not being on the blanket...didn't like the sand. He just turned 2 a week ago and now I can't keep in one place too long when I take him to the beach. He also loves to play with dad's fishing gear...a good sign of things to come!

flyngby
04-18-2012, 09:41 PM
I would not call it regressing!

We all go to a location to catch fish!!!!!!!!!!! We adjust our presentation to give it a go at whatever is willing to play on a particular day!

Well done on the perch fest!

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/BlueShad.jpg