PDA

View Full Version : quail lake & av duct report

Lucky Lager
04-11-2012, 06:21 PM
i'll start by saying, 2012 has been a slow duct year for me.

so, after landing a few fish over the weekend, i figured i'd put up a post.

the water hasn't been flowing too much these past few months, but i saw the gates were up over the weekend so i hit a couple spots.
hit the first spot & ran in to a couple fishing. they weren't having much luck & were about to relocate. i tossed in upstream of them & hooked up after bouncing the bottom a couple times. that was short lived, as i didn't get a proper hook set....or something? made a few more casts to try to get it to bite again, but no luck.

headed to spot #2 & repeated the same exact steps as spot #1.....except this time.....bounce, bounce....stuck! managed to get the hook set this time. not a real fighter, and once i got it up i saw why. maybe 10" tops
it was warm that day & the snakes were out, watch your step

the next day, some buddies of mine were heading to quail & i tagged along. water wasn't moving & the level was pretty low.
pretty slow fishing, but it managed 1 lmb
today i had to run some errands in palmdale, so i brought a rod with me just in case. i saw the gates were up, and sure enough, there was some flow. made several casts at a fishy looking spot & just about gave up on it. told myself "ok, last cast"....but made 3 more. glad i did.
this fish took me for a ride (with my new reel that i've been trying to break in for a few months now). peeled 15-20 feet of drag down stream, i couldn't run with it because i was behind the bouy line. just had to bow the rod, hang on & hope i could turn it. finally started to gain some ground & got it in close. then, another drag peeler, up stream. not as far of a run, but it had me scared.
tired it out a bit & slid it up the bank. ended up only being 8.6lbs, but a fun fight none the less. 27"L X 16"G

hopefully this is just the beginning of a good season for me & not just a fluke weekend, but i'll take what i can get.

thanks for reading, looking forward to seeing some more activity on the duct board.

Double A
04-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Way to go L.L.

It's been "reel" slow for me as well

Nice fish,,, and hopefully more to come

cutbait
04-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Watch out.

LL warmming up on Mr stripey

M@M
04-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Cool to see you caught a couple striper....thanks for report..... It's Nice to get some action

Cableguy
04-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Good report LL. I've hit it up myself but can't seem to shake the skunk. Hopefully after the weather is more stable it'll be on.

Lucky Lager
04-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Today might be a good day CG?
another system is moving in, but I'm not sure if the two systems will just blen into one big storm to the fish.
I might hit a couple quick spots, but I have my boy, so I won't be staying out too long in this wind

Bassnman Mike
04-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Great job on beating the skunk. While my ankle is healing fine I still cant walk for very long distances or stand for along time but I've been considering heading down sometime in the near future to see about catching a few so be on the look out for me.

Lucky Lager
04-12-2012, 05:25 PM
right on mike. let me know when you're down here & i'll see if i can get out too.

Bassnman Mike
04-12-2012, 06:51 PM
right on mike. let me know when you're down here & i'll see if i can get out too.

Right on Jim, I'll be sure to include you in my text to other AV duct anglers when I make it down, maybe we all can hookup and wack em.

Lucky Lager
04-13-2012, 05:40 AM
Right on Jim, I'll be sure to include you in my text to other AV duct anglers when I make it down, maybe we all can hookup and wack em.

You'll have to rephrase that, those Bako boys are gonna be inviting us up to their pump house, haha!
But yea, shoot me a text. I've been kinda busy & haven't been getting out much. Only an hour or so at a time.
It'd be nice to get in a full day of ducting.

sumojo
04-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Great job Jim some awesome pictures on them hook ups yeah.