PDA

View Full Version : Trip report 4/10

hooks
04-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Hey Viners,
I arrived in the lot @ about 4:15 to find 3 cars. By 6, the 1st 2 lanes are full and cars are streaming in.
1st to launch I head down by sierra cove with a fresh load of shrimp looking for the kitties. After about 2 hours and one bite, I pulled anchor and decided to troll around to see where lake vet. and resident pros Phil and Elaine (who are teaming up today on a pontoon) are at. I see them troll by just as I start trolling.
I used leadcore at 4 or 5 colors (which slayed them last week) for nada. The gold thomas bouyant (which killed them) draws zero attention.
I made it down past the trees in the flats and drop anchor (30ft.) again looking for some cats.
After about a hour and half, the pole with 15 pound test gets hit and line is racing off it. I set the hook and reel it in. I'm surprised to find a beefy 4 pound trout on the end. This is the 1st time in about 10 years since I caught a trout on shrimp. Discouraged with the lack "of" catfish action, I switched over to pb. It was game on then. The action was fast and furious on 2 to 3 pound fish.
The water was 62-64* and the lake is in full bloom. The water is still very clear even with patches of algae everywhere. What I found really interesting was that the shallows back by the creek are almost glowing a aqua green color compared with the deeper water. Bass boats are out in full force now with the fleet spread out across the lake. Jigs have been flying everywhere as the hordes are everywhere.
Anyhoo, easy limits of trout are still available in deep water. :Razz: And the fish were everywhere on the top water in the early morn.
That's it for now,
tightlines....

fishfnatic
04-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the report. How deep is 4 or 5 colors? I was metering fish between 26 and 30 feet last week.

Rooster
04-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Great report Hooks, Apreciate all the details. I was wondering if the lake turned over yet. Sounds like its close. Take care

JAG107
04-11-2012, 12:28 PM
WTG on the trout! The algae is definitely showing up more and more. Hopefully this weeks storms will help the troll bite this weekend...

etucker1959
04-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the report. How deep is 4 or 5 colors? I was metering fish between 26 and 30 feet last week.

4 colors with a 30 foot leader will go down 20 feet with a gasoline motor.

hooks
04-11-2012, 01:51 PM
4 colors with a 30 foot leader will go down 20 feet with a gasoline motor.

I'd guess I was down 30 ft. or so @ 5 @ 1.5mph , sounds about right .
I'm getting almost all my fish now in atleast 20 ft. of water. The bobber/crawler combo hasn't worked for me in weeks. Everything (trout) is moving down the water column by 9am when sunny.
I'm waitin for night fishin' though ; )

See Chris Fish
04-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the update, Hooks.
Man, you're killing me with your weekday trips!!!

Hometown
04-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Another great report thanks hooks

Hitts0n
04-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Good detailed report.The fish are still holding in the same depth.
Looking forward to the catfish action to pick up.Trout on shrimp...sounds about right =)
The flats continue to be on fire! Thanks for reporting!!