PDA

View Full Version : Fairmount Park

mistakim31
04-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Ive known about fairmount for my entire life but only fished there about 5 times without catching anything. i decided to get back into freshwater fishing and hit up evans after classes. i started out with a t-rigged purple roboworm and caught a small bass on my second cast off the pier. the rest of the day was spent using a chartreuse strike king bitsy minnow with only a single bite near the tank. judging from previous experience and reading posts on this forum, skunks are part of the fairmount experience so i was happy to at least get one. does anyone know if there are fish in the creek that leads out to the santa ana river? the water seemed low but i didnt venture far out enough to see if there were deeper pools. if anyone has any tips on how to fish this lake i would very much appreciate it!

sandtrout
04-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Never fished there myself. I usually have a large trash bag or large baggie that I'll lay down on the ground and I'll lay the fish on top of it...helps keep the slime on the fish.

fishmounter
04-11-2012, 09:44 AM
mistakim31... Sent you a PM

Bassmaster Bob
04-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Good job out there more than I've gotten this year there.

fishmounter
04-11-2012, 10:29 PM
It's funny but bass fishing at Fairmount has not been what it has been in the last few years. Usually by now I would have caught a few big fish, but it's been pretty slow. Pretty sure it has been the weird weather. We get a couple nice days, then we get a cold front. We need about 2 weeks of nice warm weather, and I think that will really get the bite going. At least I hope so. Was there today and got one pick up that was quickly dropped.

mistakim31
04-12-2012, 08:23 PM
went out there today but couldn't get anything to hit. Hope this weather picks up....

Rapala17
04-15-2012, 12:15 PM
It's funny but bass fishing at Fairmount has not been what it has been in the last few years. Usually by now I would have caught a few big fish, but it's been pretty slow. Pretty sure it has been the weird weather. We get a couple nice days, then we get a cold front. We need about 2 weeks of nice warm weather, and I think that will really get the bite going. At least I hope so. Was there today and got one pick up that was quickly dropped.

Cannot agree more, Fishmounter. I was there at the end of March and caught several small males on beds. Barely any activity elsewhere. I noticed one of the guys who takes his dingy boat with trolling motor out to the island. There are a lot of fish out there he said. He also agreed with your statement as well, knowing this weather has made our little fishing hole a difficult place. Texas rigging baits is the only way to go now because the bite is so hard (in my opinion).

Nevertheless, the reason I never post on here anymore regarding the park is because of poachers! The last two times I was there, two people each caught a nice 3-4 lb Bass, AND KEPT IT! So frustrating that people will do that there.

Great catch by the way, mistakim31.

Bent Rods For Life,
Rapala17

carpanglerdude
04-15-2012, 04:56 PM

Fishmounter, your inbox is full

fishmounter
04-16-2012, 01:04 PM
carpanglerdude- Sorry about that. I do get a lot of PMs. You should be able to PM me now-