PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood 4/9/12

FishinFireFighter
04-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Guys.... Weve been KILLING the LMB this past week. OMG! My 5 year old son caught two 5 pound females 3 days ago on his first trip to silverwood :Big Grin: me and my fishing buddy are well into the 30's in a week. ALL quality fish from 2.5-6lbs. Weve been pulling out all the tricks because they will be onto a certain bait/presentation for about 30 minutes then it will completely die. Weve been using a couple different baits but they really like the drop shot right now. The spawn for the north end would have been here by this weekend but the cold will probably push that back a week or a little more. Ive noticed that the south (Marina) side of the lake is usually a week or so behind because the aqueduct pumps in warmer water and heats it up quicker in the back. I thought last year was epic but I think this year will be just as good if not better. I had a chance to hit up DVL last week and it was very disappointing in terms of fish size AND activity compared to silverwood. Im glad silverwood isnt as accessible as DVL otherwise all those boats would for sure be heading to silverwood daily. I swear its the best kept secret in SoCal fisheries:Secret:. Also the inlet had been off for a while so the water has been REALLY clear but they recently opened it back up so its getting a little murky. I personally like it that way for fishing and I can tell you for a fact the Bass do as well. The stripers havent been biting at all lately which is odd because usually there on this time of the year but Im sure theyll come around soon.

Anyway good luck out there guys! Now quit reading and go get you some LMB!!

tagg27
04-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the report. I'm ready for a Silverwood trip soon.

a321eric
04-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Ya I agree with you man! That lake is my favorite lake by far. Lots of big fish in there. Nice job and thanks for the report.

adiablo420
04-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Dude, been up there myself catchin a few.. All quality bass. Been trying to hit up the wood every weekend, but you know how that goes and yea SHHHHHHH!!! lol... It is going to take off really soon and I do feel a PB coming up soon. Thanks for the report...

The Fishing Queen
04-11-2012, 07:06 AM
Nice report! I'm still learning how to fish at that lake. I went there twice with some of my friends, and caught two mud fish, the other time I hooked a trout, but lost it on the way in. I guess I just have to pay more visits and find a good spot to fish, I'm going to try again in the the near future.

seal
04-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Dude, been up there myself catchin a few.. All quality bass. Been trying to hit up the wood every weekend, but you know how that goes and yea SHHHHHHH!!! lol... It is going to take off really soon and I do feel a PB coming up soon. Thanks for the report...

Yea SHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Just kidding, you are always on the bite but the cool thing about the Wood is no matter how good the bite is work has to be done to get to um or figure out the bite. Those that think they are going to roll up to the swimbeach kick back and suck down some brews are just not going to get into a steady bite, being at the right place at the right time of the day is key and many times that takes some hiking and work.

I'd go to DVL it's much closer you guys really don't want to spend the gas money to come up here! All in fun I agree it should be another great year.

FishinFireFighter
04-11-2012, 11:49 AM
I wrote that report, shut down the computer and headed up again because I got myself all pumped up. HOLY WIND BATMAN!!!! I felt like I was fishing the ocean with 4' waves crashing over the rocks and getting sea spray all over me, lol. I figured I already hiked in so screw it I had to at least try to cast into the wind. I tied on a 1oz. weight instead of the usual 1/4oz for the DS and first cast...BAM! Only a small 2.3lb largie but that was it. I only spent about 30 minutes because it was literally unbareable. Now I have fished that lake while it was snowing, pouring rain and into 50 mph wind:EyePop:. Out of the three I think the snow was so peaceful Id do it again in a heartbeat even though I didnt catch that day. Its too bad this weather had to come in it was just starting to get really good..

seal
04-11-2012, 01:11 PM
I was out last night too tossing swimbaits. Had one bigun (striper) roll on it and that was it, wind=chaos! I'd bet by Sunday or early next week it will be back to fishing well for LMB's.

But rain and wind and trout plant might mean big stripers.

a321eric
04-11-2012, 08:35 PM
I'd go to DVL it's much closer you guys really don't want to spend the gas money to come up here! All in fun I agree it should be another great year.

Haha I miss living in the desert where the Wood was 15 minutes away.....now DVL is only 30 minutes away and the Wood is 45 minutes from here in Riverside. I am happy this front is coming through so that I can fish my DVL tourny then return back to the Wood for the good weather.

joejoe77
04-15-2012, 04:24 AM
Im coming home for a visit in May. Havent fished Silverwood since I was a kid. Could someone PM me what/where theyre biting on, Id like to get my tackle in order before I come. Would love to catch my first striper.

Thanks
Joe