PDA

View Full Version : What a difference a week makes. 5 miles of hell, but 6 hours in Heaven

ScottD
04-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Well the title sums it up pretty well.

Got a chance to fish all day yesterday. Started bright and early knowing that the low tide was just after sunrise.

I fished south OC, South San O, North San O and Doheny beaches.

Weather was awesome as i am sure you are saw yesterday. Hot and calm by the sea. The water was just as great.

Got my start just after the sun broke over the hill tops. Arrived at my first location and what i thought was a "Honey Hole", atleast it was the past two weeks. The weather we got over the last week and the high surf just killed my zone. What were sandy halibut honey holes were now rocky cobble stone areas that were nothing close to what i had imagined seeing. That being said, i wasnt about to just give up and go home. I adapted, found new spots near by and starting fishing. After a couple casts, i was greeted by a 15 inch YFC. Not worthy of a walk all the way back to my bag and camera, i released my little friend and had high hopes of future hook up to come.

Well my friends, that was all she wrote. I spent the next 6 hours and atleast 5 miles of walking on the search for spots and fish. Hitting up several areas and many promising holes only to find my LC on the end of my line each cast.

The weather sure did a number on the surf zone and i really believe that pushed the big game fish off the beach for a while. It was a treat to see the transformation of the surf zone into a completly different fishing spot. The hard day and disappointment of fishing wasnt all lost. I got to spend some real quality time in some of the most gourgeous surroundings anyone could ask. Had some quality time, just me and the Big Guy up above. Its days like these that i am so thankful for. Living life as He would want me too.

ScottD

koifish
04-10-2012, 03:27 PM
at least you beat the skunk. I spent 5 hours in OC yesterday and 4 hours in Ventura this morning and not even a bite!!!!!! weird....

fishshep
04-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Well the title sums it up pretty well.

Got a chance to fish all day yesterday. Started bright and early knowing that the low tide was just after sunrise.

I fished south OC, South San O, North San O and Doheny beaches.

Weather was awesome as i am sure you are saw yesterday. Hot and calm by the sea. The water was just as great.

Got my start just after the sun broke over the hill tops. Arrived at my first location and what i thought was a "Honey Hole", atleast it was the past two weeks. The weather we got over the last week and the high surf just killed my zone. What were sandy halibut honey holes were now rocky cobble stone areas that were nothing close to what i had imagined seeing. That being said, i wasnt about to just give up and go home. I adapted, found new spots near by and starting fishing. After a couple casts, i was greeted by a 15 inch YFC. Not worthy of a walk all the way back to my bag and camera, i released my little friend and had high hopes of future hook up to come.

Well my friends, that was all she wrote. I spent the next 6 hours and atleast 5 miles of walking on the search for spots and fish. Hitting up several areas and many promising holes only to find my LC on the end of my line each cast.

The weather sure did a number on the surf zone and i really believe that pushed the big game fish off the beach for a while. It was a treat to see the transformation of the surf zone into a completly different fishing spot. The hard day and disappointment of fishing wasnt all lost. I got to spend some real quality time in some of the most gourgeous surroundings anyone could ask. Had some quality time, just me and the Big Guy up above. Its days like these that i am so thankful for. Living life as He would want me too.

ScottD

"Quality time ,and Thankfull to The Big Guy" while fishing is my way of lookin at it too !!! :Big Grin:

Wingnut
04-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Had some quality time, just me and the Big Guy up above. Its days like these that i am so thankful for. Living life as He would want me too.

Amen to that! :Big Grin:

Which Way Out
04-10-2012, 06:11 PM
You got out, and that's not always so bad.

I went out this afternoon for 2 hours. Had fresh new top shot line on my reel and all I got for it was gooooy sticcckkky oil all over it. Side note, my waders also got a good water proof sealer applied. LOL

Keep fishing and posting
WWO

murrieta angler
04-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Sweet!
You get it...:Big Grin:
Robert
<><

sidified
04-11-2012, 09:15 PM
That's the Spirit, pal...

ScottD
04-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks everyone.

If anyone is available mid week to fish down in the OC area, let me know. Send a PM.

bones
04-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Putting in the time and paying your dues is what it is all about. Sure some guys get lucky and don't have to work for their fish occasionally but overall.....I've found that footprints in the sand and determination will pay off in the long run.
I always approach my time on the sand with anticipation but absolutely no expectations. At the end of a skunky day I always consider my time on the sand theraputic both mentally and physically. We here in socal are blessed with great weather and the beach. I can't even imagine living somewhere where there is no ocean or the smell of coppertone for that matter.

I'm not to sure about calling it "Heaven" but it's darn close IMHO !!

Good job getting out there and sharing your experience with us. Keep up the good work!

jpod
04-12-2012, 09:24 PM
be thankful ur lc was still on the line each cast lol just lost my first lc and boy was i mad it sux wen u see 20 dollars go flying away do to a poor knot on my behalf lol

PONTOON
04-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Sweet!
You get it...:Big Grin:
Robert
<><

Yes, I agree..........
:Thumbs Up:

flyngby
04-18-2012, 09:28 PM
I would have to admit that a few of my best experiences on the fishing grounds were exactly like this! I don't like fishing alone or getting the skunk, but at the end of the day you can be rest assured that I gave it my best effort and had a plesant day out on the waters! Even if I loose a LC or 2!!!!!!

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/GreenSardine.jpg