PDA

View Full Version : Letter from David Noyes re: Tournament Format Options

Steve Carson
04-10-2012, 02:10 PM
IRVINE LAKE TOURNAMENT ANNOUNCEMENT
April 10, 2012

To: All Irvine Lake anglers and guests

After meeting with Irvine Lake staff, management, and board members, we have decided to move forward with a “double-tournament” option with our future events.

Anglers who wish to compete in a classic “Jackpot Tournament” with proportional cash payouts based on the heaviest fish progression will be able to do so. Those anglers who would prefer to enter on a “Blind Bogey” drawing-type basis can choose to do that. Anglers wishing to enter both phases of the event will also have that option.

Tournament events conducted by outside operators will still be subject to their own rules, and the final decisions will be determined by those outside operators.

Thank You for your patience in this matter,
David Noyes- General Manager; Irvine Lake

the killa fish taco
04-10-2012, 02:48 PM
1 question

If you do both tournament options, can you still only weigh in only 1 fish or can you weigh in 1 for the Heaviest Tournament and 1 for the Blind Bogey?

Thank you for all your help guys! :Applause:

5150fishn
04-10-2012, 04:53 PM
As a Irvine lake regular I appreciate that the lake staff is coming up with options to the pathetic situation that you have been put in. Thank you!

OC ANGLER
04-10-2012, 05:49 PM
yet another wrench thrown in the gears .... hmmmm so now with these 2 choices ...

1) Does that mean prize money will be cut in half for each tourney since essentially it's 2 tourneys running at the same time?
2) Does this mean there will be 20 winners for the day (10 on one & 10 on the other) or 10 winners for the day (5 on one 5 on the other) ?
3) Do you pick 5 people from each for the masters ?
4) People who want to do both do they now haft to pay for each tourney ?
5) If people enter both do they then get to enter there heavy fish for the classic and have another fish for the blind bogey ?

this opens up a bunch of question ....... it used to be so simple

Big Daddy
04-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Fricken "Tim"

Marley
04-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Good call. Add real DQ rules with teeth and follow through on them. Irvine Lake staff should always have a say in the outcome of derbies held at their lake especially if/when their reputation is at stake.

Marley
04-10-2012, 07:21 PM
1 question

If you do both tournament options, can you still only weigh in only 1 fish or can you weigh in 1 for the Heaviest Tournament and 1 for the Blind Bogey?

Thank you for all your help guys! :Applause:

Make it one fish. Choose which derby you want to try for when you weigh your fish. Multiple entries would open too many doors to chicanery.

BRING IT
04-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Im done with the whole tourny thing, time to move on!

If anyone wants to fish PM or call me, we can make friendly wadgers, more the merrier.

Looks like the Bad guys won again!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Thumbs Up:

5150fishn
04-10-2012, 08:30 PM
If it is a seperate buy in for each option then the prize pools are seperate. So if you are a baller and pay into each option then I would imagine you would be able to weigh in 1 fish per option. I'm sure the Vine staff will clarify when it all gets sorted out.

mojomizer
04-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Great googly moogly............ Double the options, double your troubles.

Question????? How many fish these tournaments alone?????? How many Float tube alone?????

Getting to my point....................................... We live in a digital age. Everyone has a digital camera capable of movie mode. Cell Phone capable of movie mode. Water proofing is easy.

No one fishes alone and makes sure a little date stamp, time stamp movie of fighting the fish, landing the fish and unhooking the fish is supplied with each entry.

Sure it may be a pain in the posterior. Sure someone could cheat. The sponsors would have cool movies of people catching fish for everyone to enjoy.

People accusing someone of snagging, netting, dynamiting (yep seen someone seal bombing shad at the Vine) anesthetizing:LOL:, electroshocking:LOL: or any other ways of illegally obtaining a tournament fish. Should have digital proof also. Snagging or netting is easy to document.

Cheaters prosecuted to the fullest the law can apply.

Sad to see we have to take additional measures for something that should be fun. Money makes people do stupid things.

Mo

seal
04-11-2012, 08:08 AM
There is a reason so many tournaments have blind bogeys, tagged fish egc... First it might hold down the cheating aspect quite a bit and second it gives those that just want a fun experience and maybe a chance at a lottery prize. I fished the Double Haul at Crowley for 8 years and saw the same guys win every year, they had time, money and skill to be on the lake way more than anybody else and could hire guides but the attendance diminished every year I am not so sure it wasn't because people got tired of seeing the same guys always win with little chance for anybody else to win (although I missed big fish once by an inch, got lucky). A lot of tourneys mix it up with combinations of winners. At Irvine the best chance it seems is to be on shore where the big ones cruise and "sight fish" either legally or illegally, not everybody will want to stack up in those areas and chase fish down which increases your odds at catching a big fish. Sure everybody has a chance, especially the skilled trollers, but the repetetive winners seem to either be sight fishing fairly and as proved this tournament some just plain cheat.

I don't see the negative at this point but without all rules being layed out we'll have to wait and see.

vineline
04-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Im done with the whole tourny thing, time to move on!

If anyone wants to fish PM or call me, we can make friendly wadgers, more the merrier.

Looks like the Bad guys won again!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Thumbs Up:

This is not about winning, this is about giving people the option to compete in a format in which they are comfortable.
If you are comfortable putting your money into the top 10 jackpot then great, if you are not then there is another option.
The Masters will go on and when Jimmy and I work out all the details we will post it for all to read.
Just so we are all clear, this new format has more than doubled the work load for Jimmy, the staff and myself, but as always we are willing
to do the extra work for the good of the Lake and the spirit of competition. As far as security goes, we are reviewing all of our options and plan to make some changes and step it up.
All of you will have to be patient going forward as these changes and procedures may cause some delays, I hope that you will work with us and help improve
our contests in the future. Please remember to report any suspicious activities, poaching, snagging, netting etc. Telling us after the fact
does us no good and we cannot address the problem at hand. Call tackle shop at 714) 649-9111
On a personal note from me to you, I do my very best to keep these contest fair.

Vineline

Big Daddy
04-11-2012, 08:36 AM
I for one will never spend my money to fish a tourney based on just a "Blind Bogey" I have put a lot of time on the water as well as equipment (not that it helps me at all lol) just to get in a fish lottery. So for that reason if it is only based on a "Blind Bogey" I am out and probably would not fish at the "Vine" as much (but I will still fish here because I love to fish and I love the people here). Bottom Line if you catch them cheating, They get Banned Period and we continue and keep weeding them out (it will take all of us but this can't consume all of ou time or effort). If more would be banned then more would think about it. I think this guy is regretting this at this time as well as he should. I kow he liked to fish but it will never be the same for him ever again and that is something he will have to live with. Now back to Irvine lake and Lip rippers you have done all you can and I respect that. Nothing is ever perfect but I for one would like things to be the way they have been as far as "Tournement Stucture" not to say some changes aren't always good. And if there is controversy just weed it out and let's (Just have fun fishing again) some will not compete, but let's face it most will. You can see that from all of the great turn outs.

Anyone ever put in a difficult position knows you will never satisfy everyone those that want to fish will fish, those that don't won't, and those that want to cheat will cheat but all will come to light. Most that complain (not all) either don't fish these tourny's or won't. Don't change a thing you guy's have done great job and put in extra hours for us as well as have caught several people cheating and will unfortunatly catch more but let's not let that spoil what this reall is really about Family, Friends, Fun and Fishing. God's Speed.

Daniele, Jimmy and Staff (Irvine Lake Great Job):
Brian (lip Rippers Great job):

vineline
04-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Big Daddy,
Don't worry its not going to be just "blind bogey" there will also be the "big fish" jackpot.
There are just simply 2 choices now.

Vineline

Big Daddy
04-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Big Daddy,
Don't worry its not going to be just "blind bogey" there will also be the "big fish" jackpot.
There are just simply 2 choices now.

Vineline

Now that's why your so special. Always doing what's best for the team.

And may I add that's why you deserve a raise. And that may just be the next Thread I start.

See Chris Fish
04-11-2012, 08:58 AM
As always, Irvine Lake is on the case.
I've fished this lake for over 2 decades and will continue to fish here.
I like the idea of a blind bogey and big fish.
Anyone that knows me, knows, I HATE POACHERS!!!
Call me a snitch, tale tell, whatever, if I see you cheat, I will notify the proper people.
Bottom line, don't cheat. If you do and get caught, don't cry about it. Man up and take your medicine.
I for one could never feel good about a fish I caught that was illeaglly caught. That's just me.
I believe that anyone caught cheating on a tourney day should be banned for the rest of the year, if not life.
I've seen WON tourneys DQ people and I've seen Irvine Lake do the same.

To the staff:
1. Since we now have to pay at the booth in the morning, can you have the staff remind people about the 2 rods and the rules of the lake as they pay? On tourney days this would be a great help. That way there's no, I didn't know stories.
Big money will always bring out all types of people.
2. How about "undercover" security on shore and boats looking for cheaters?
3. I have complete faith that the Irvine Lake staff will fix these issues.

Big Daddy
04-11-2012, 09:07 AM
As always, Irvine Lake is on the case.
I've fished this lake for over 2 decades and will continue to fish here.
I like the idea of a blind bogey and big fish.
Anyone that knows me, knows, I HATE POACHERS!!!
Call me a snitch, tale tell, whatever, if I see you cheat, I will notify the proper people.
Bottom line, don't cheat. If you do and get caught, don't cry about it. Man up and take your medicine.
I for one could never feel good about a fish I caught that was illeaglly caught. That's just me.
I believe that anyone caught cheating on a tourney day should be banned for the rest of the year, if not life.
I've seen WON tourneys DQ people and I've seen Irvine Lake do the same.

To the staff:
1. Since we now have to pay at the booth in the morning, can you have the staff remind people about the 2 rods and the rules of the lake as they pay? On tourney days this would be a great help. That way there's no, I didn't know stories.
Big money will always bring out all types of people.
2. How about "undercover" security on shore and boats looking for cheaters?
3. I have complete faith that the Irvine Lake staff will fix these issues.

I will be undercover if it's raining I will put the top up on my boat there for "Under Cover"
Hahahahahahahahah

Man we are all under cover. Maybe I will grow a "Bobber Boy" or maybe we should all grow one that way they "Cheaters" won't know

D.DOG
04-12-2012, 08:01 PM
lost first place last sat. to this guy gonna try again this week cmon people lets do this!

Bebop
04-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Daniela and all the Irvine staff have been doing an excellent job as long as I have been fishing there. They just don't have enough eyes. Why not put a camera to watch woody's cove to keep an eye on sight fishing? Everyone has ideas and we will turn cheaters into real fisherman or they will go on their way. I learned my lesson along time ago and I enjoy to fish the right way

rel
04-12-2012, 09:12 PM
all we need is gopro on ever head and it done les get nick woodman as a sponsor pay a dep. and its on

rel
04-12-2012, 09:22 PM
just like a deposit for a boat if it comes back good u got you money

rel
04-12-2012, 10:00 PM
dont know how to start a new thred but here it is we have a new thing called technology its a gopro cam it will stop all bull **** on lakes

hooks
04-13-2012, 07:48 AM
dont know how to start a new thred but here it is we have a new thing called technology its a gopro cam it will stop all bull **** on lakes

There have been cameras all around the lake for years. The problem is, it's hard to be 300 places at once.