PDA

View Full Version : "SWAT"ed But Not Entirely Skunked!

SP Dan
04-09-2012, 07:53 PM
This Past Weekends Quick Debreifing: Saturday: Skunked. Sunday: (2) short Hali's and (1) 45" SNGF.

Saturday 4-07-2012...Orange County, assaulted the spot from 0630 - 1200 hrs and received the BIG stripped skunk!

Sunday 4-08-2012....LA County and two different AO's

First AO-
Session: feet wet at 0615 hrs and out at 0800 hrs.
Air temp: 53-73 degrees Fahrenheit.
Water temp: 54 degrees Fahrenheit. Clear, very little salad. Lots of bait and diving birds.
Sun rise: 0627. Sun set: 1915 hrs.
Moon: waning gibbous.
surf: 1-2 ft, swell: 1 ft, sets: 18 secs.
Tide: LTIC 0600 hrs -.06 ft, 0800 hrs 1.5 ft, 1000 hrs 3.8 ft, 1200 hrs 4.2 ft.
Terrain: flat, wide sandy beach
Assault tactics: St. Croix 9'-6", 8-17 lb, Shimano Stradic CI4 3000 reel with 55# Samurai 8-carrier braided line with a LC 110 Flash-minnow BSP lure tied on with a Uni knot.

I arrived at my local spot at 0615 hrs and my FNN brother John (aka: Nipple Twister) had already been there for approx 45 minutes! After a warm brotherly greeting..... he snickered a bit.... ha ha ha....and said that I should have been here earlier...the conditions were even better! :LOL:

John had a few drag pullers but nothing that stayed on... and me.....well it was pole-cats-ville. A bit smelly!
I mentioned to John that I wasn't feeling the love and that I wanted to relocate to another AO that I had in mind. John agreed.

John and I relocated approx 5 miles to our second AO.....our feet were wet at 0830 hrs and out at 1130 hrs.
For reasons I won't mention :Wink:....I headed down to the spot first and told John that I would see him there.

Second AO: (INTEL remained the same).
It was an IC 1.5 ft tide and so I had gotten out to above my waste in order to get to my spot...I was leaping up to stay above the incoming swells but a few were still able to get inside of my jacket just above the zipped up neck of my jacket and then on the third cast...."Heavy BENDO"!! WAHOO....it was on! It was like being hooked on a pallet of bricks...and I was guessing a foul hooked Leo, Ray or a SNGF. It was making a run deep towards a couple of nearby surfers. I hollered over to them and they were really polite and moved over and out of the way so that I could land this fish. John was walking up on the spot and let out a huge "YAHOO" as he saw my rod in the full bend position! It ended up being a 45" SNGF.....thank you Poseidon....for putting the skunk fish behind me once again!!

I had foul hooked it at the very front of the base of it's dorsal fin and I couldn't turn it...no matter how hard I tried! It ended up breaking off a hook on two different treble hooks! And then I went on to land the next two fish with the same damaged hooks! What a great day!

0830 hrs I hooked up with this 45" SNGF! My offical skunk buster! Yahoo! :LOL:
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=34386&d=1333982686

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=34387&d=1333982712

My next bent rod action was at 0845 hrs. I was blessed with this lil' 19 1/2" Hali.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=34388&d=1333982732

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=34389&d=1333982776

My last bent rod was at 0915 hrs with this lil' 17/1/2" Hali!
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=34390&d=1333982811

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=34391&d=1333982847

Well...That's it for my weekend sessions! All fish were CPR.

Thanx for taking the time to read my report. :Cool:

PS...Congrat's to my SWAT brothers (bsp and wingnut) on there legal hali catches this past Easter weekend! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Mr_Dunev
04-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Glad you beat the skunk! Those SNGF can be a great fight, especially when they don't want to cooperate!
I caught 2 shorties on Saturday too, and will make a combined report later this week.

Great Job again!
Lucas

bones
04-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Nice job getting on a few Dan. I got out for a few hours yesterday evening. Beat the skunk with two shorties but...they are moving in again. Hope this weeks storms don't set us back too far.
We shall see........

Keep up the good work soldier!

P.S.
The time on your first AO threw me for a loop.Feet wet at 16:15 and out at 08:00...... Did you pull a night session?
When are you going to put that Luna to work Dude?

Which Way Out
04-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Good job big Dan.

I sure like the halibut that have the white speckle dots on em. Of all the halibut I have caught I don't recall any of them with the white dots. I've seen em up here, but not very often.

Nothing like getting some water over the neck line to tell you, you might be out a little to far huh? Be careful, its not easy swimming in waders.

Best of luck and be safe
WWO

Lucky Lager
04-10-2012, 08:00 AM
way to go dan!
wulfman & i are planning on hitting the surf this sunday, the 15th.
the weather may not permit though, both of us agreed that we didn't want to fight the post storm salad. hopefully the storm isn't too bad & we can still get out

bachiboy
04-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Nice work Dan!

I haven't seen too many new reports lately so I was wondering if anyone was getting out or just getting stripes like me. :Wink:

Wingnut
04-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Nice submarine Dan! When they get that big, they will give you a serious ride. :Twisted: Nice job in landing that freight train. :Big Grin:

I pulled a 48" model out of the surf a few years back. Couldn't even get that thing on the beach. After a half dozen missed tail grabs, I finally dragged it up on the sand. :mad: Mikey (Exfactor) is the Shovelnose King this year. I think he landed about a dozen of these Mr. Wiggles so far. :LOL:

I had a defective SD memory card and couldn't pull out the pics to send to Marc (BSP) for him to do our Saturday report. :Neutral:
I hope you don't mind me tagging a quick report here on your thread. :Wink:

Saturday 4/7/12
6:15am - 8:45am
North Malibu
Swells 1-2 ft
Moderate off-shore wind
Moderate salad
No baitfaish presence
Throwing LCs.
Marc (BSP) 26" Halibut - Congrats on putting yourself on the S.W.A.T. Challenge leader Board Marc. :Big Grin:
Arthur (Wingnut) 24" Halibut

bsp
04-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Dan,

Nice job getting out there! Always fun to hook something that pulls, even if turns out to be a flatfish of the wrong kind when you beach them. I'm sure you'll start sticking some nice legals soon with nicer weather.

Marc

lip rippin sob
04-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Good job Dan...
That's not a skunk by any means,, I would love to catch a big ol shovel nose...
Congrats on the epic battle!!!

Jake

lip rippin sob
04-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Saturday 4/7/12
6:15am - 8:45am
North Malibu
Swells 1-2 ft
Moderate off-shore wind
Moderate salad
No baitfaish presence
Throwing LCs.
Marc (BSP) 26" Halibut - Congrats on putting yourself on the S.W.A.T. Challenge leader Board Marc. :Big Grin:
Arthur (Wingnut) 24" Halibut[/SIZE][/QUOTE].

Congrats to both of you.
Way to score some legals!

jitsurfish
04-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Another nice report Dan. That's a big SNGF... 'nice tractor pull along w a couple short hali.
Someday I'll be able to view one of your pics.
That S OC locale has remained tough this last week.

bachiboy
04-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Another nice report Dan. That's a big SNGF... 'nice tractor pull along w a couple short hali.
Someday I'll be able to view one of your pics.
That S OC locale has remained tough this last week.

That's funny...I was kinda wondering the same thing. Dan, I know you mentioned that some people have had luck logging out and back in, but that doesn't seem to work. Not sure how you're posting your pictures, but yours seem like the only ones I can't view.

Any thoughts on that anyone?

flyngby
04-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Dan,

You are setting the bar high with your winter catches and enthusiasm!

Great to see you and chat with you this past "Fools Day"

Nice Wiggles!!!!!!!

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/PacificChovy.jpg