PDA

View Full Version : 4/9, exciting day at the Pudd with fly fishing!!!...):}+{:(...

The Fishing Queen
04-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Date: 4/9/2012, Monday
Time: 12:40am - 2:05pm
Weather: high 70' to low 80' degrees, gentle breeze
Lake Water: warm and clear
Gear: White River Dogwood Canyon 2ps 8ft fly rod and reel
Line: 5wt
Tapered leader: 4x
Fly: BH Woven Stonefly Nymph - Dark brown Fly Fishing Fly
Catch: 6 pan fish - 1 redear, 2 bluegills and 3 crappies

Heading to Puddingstone on the way home and arrived at the lake by 12:40. Happy to see my fly fishing buddies - PMB; VIVID_fly and Robert were out there catching pan fish, so I joined in. I asked VIVID_fly about what kind of fly I should use, and he pointed out the BH woven stonefly nymph. The first 15 mins I struggled with my casting. The indicator I had on was big and heavy and it left me with a lot of slack line and reduced distance. Mike saw it and gave me one of his smaller indicators and set it up for me. After the change I noticed the difference, I was able to cast much better. I was embarrassed by my clumsy casting as my skill was much better a week ago. Maybe that's because I didn't practice that much during my vacation. I bet VIVID_FLY was biting his tongue to not to say anything to discourage me. But not PMB! This time, he told me quite a few times that I should and could do better than that. And yes, I know I need to work on casting and continue to practice more. Anyway, around 1 o'clock I saw my indicator sink slightly and I knew I had a fish on, raised up my pole and pulled in a small bluegill. I was excited and continued casting out my fly and worked around the area where I had my first fish. And boy oh boy, was this my lucky day or what? I landed 4 more mixed spieces between bluegills and crappies every 10- 15 mins. After 1:30pm the bite slowed down, and the three amigos left. I stayed and did my own solo until a little after 2 pm, I missed a bite and caught 1 redear at the end. ( all fish were given away to the people who fished next to me).

Nice and exciting day for a total catch of 6 fish in 1 hr & half. Now I got the fever and got myself hooked on fly fishing. I know the trouble is only just beginning. Next time I'll try to cast better and further, and I hope I'll improve my skill by catching more fish.....

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/FlyFishing2.png

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/mini5.png

Troutcz swimbait
04-09-2012, 08:12 PM
nice wright up once again.

TUNAVIC
04-09-2012, 08:18 PM
That sounds like you had a good time,you know how it goes,practice makes perfect,or at least better,as devoted as you are,you'll be showing others how to do it soon!Keep it up,thanks for the report,hopefully I can hit the pudd a few more times this year,but I'm starting to switch to the salt now.

Cya Tuna Vic

The Fishing Queen
04-09-2012, 09:29 PM
nice wright up once again.

Thanks John! Told you that ' I'll be back"! Just got a gift from my family for an annual pass for Pudd. and an annual pass for kayaking in LG. Lucky me! :Razz: So now I'll be able to fish in the two of my favorite lakes all year long. I'll see you guys pretty often now..

That sounds like you had a good time,you know how it goes,practice makes perfect,or at least better,as devoted as you are,you'll be showing others how to do it soon!Keep it up,thanks for the report,hopefully I can hit the pudd a few more times this year,but I'm starting to switch to the salt now.

Cya Tuna Vic

Thanks 'TUNAVIC' for the encouragement! I guess this is a great season to practice fly fishing, since the pan fish are active now. So you are going to be one of the 'cool guys' for salt water fishing now. My family goes to Ventura and Oceanside every year for weeks of vacation and we are right by the water, but I don't know anything about salt water fishing. I admire those guys who catch some nice fishes from the ocean, and it looks really exciting..... Well, hope you can get into it and I'm looking forward for you ocean fishing report!

old pudd fisher
04-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the great report Fishing Queen, It made me feel like I was there. Been busy helping out with family matters these days. Say hi to Mike, Chuck and Robert for me, and oh yeah! My wife loves that pink pole you have.

The Fishing Queen
04-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks 'old pudd fisher'! I'll see them tomorrow and I'll give them your greeting. They are really nice people and are always willing to help. I met a lot of folks who fish at the Pudd and are very kind to me. You've got to make time and come out fishing, the pan fish are more active now.

zenmic
04-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Great report Queen!! Makes me envious. One day I will be able to fish like that.

The Fishing Queen
04-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Great report Queen!! Makes me envious. One day I will be able to fish like that.

Yes, you'll too. Just keep practice. :Smile:

My wife loves that pink pole you have.

Ha, ha, your wife will love the pink one my husband got for me on my last birthday - it has bright pink and green lights built in on the side of the reel. And it flashes when I crank the handle. It's really cute when I use it to go fishing at night. Everyone will know that I've caught a big catfish........I can tell your wife the story of my pink pole. *The fishermen always tease me about my pink poles when they first meet me. One guy used to say "what are you going to do with that pink barbie pole"..... Well, sometimes I show up with my gear and I see the wired expressions on those fishermen's faces - oh, my god, here comes a lady with her 'foo foo' pole and she don't know what the heck she's doing and she's going to cast over my line. When they catch more fish, guys brag about their fishing skills. If I was catching the fish or out fishing them, I see the surprised looks and I know that the pressure is on. So I would give them a big smile and tease them back and say 'it's not the skill, it's just my lucky pink poles'. Some guys will ask what I use to catch fish, I tell them ' the secret is that you've got to get one of these pink poles'. Most of my friends already know this joke, that's why I use it often in some of my reports. :Wink: