PDA

View Full Version : !st try catching crawdads at DVL

Geraldlim
04-08-2012, 09:34 PM
I spent all week building my copy of a commercial crawdad trap.
Finally completed 2 traps and put them in yesterday for a couple of hours at the saddle dam.
Result - ZERO!
:Sad:

Moved them to the East Dam and left them overnight.
Showed up early this morning full of anticipation.
Result - ZERO!!!!
:Sad::Sad:

Bait used was cut up striper heads and bellies.

On the plus side I did pick up a couple of stripers each day fishing a couple of hours.
Nothing huge, some nice schoolies up to 4 lbs or so.

trollmiester
04-09-2012, 06:39 AM
nice to see you launching saturday.funny we were leaveing and you were just starting.good job on mr. stripey.

seal
04-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Bacon is a very good crawdad bait, use it up in the Sierra's, who doesn't love bacon?

ushone
04-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Hey gerald, couldnt make it myself this weekend, wanted to but being easter my buddies had family stuff to attend too so ill be trying to make it next weekend. Nice try tho, try some mackerel its what has worked for me the few times ive tried, also maybe try tossing it into a cove next to a tree or bush or something like that.

TUNAVIC
04-09-2012, 09:18 AM
We've always used chicken parts to bait,bones and all.

shinbob
04-09-2012, 09:27 AM
I'm surprised that you didn't get anything on your overnight soak. Was your bait still there, or was it all eaten up?

Geraldlim
04-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Bait was untouched.
Best bait I ever used in the past was trout head, carcass and guts.
Got a five gallon bucket of crawdads in Big Bear back in the day.

I guess I'll try some rocky cove next.

Geraldlim
04-09-2012, 10:36 AM
nice to see you launching saturday.funny we were leaving and you were just starting.good job on mr. stripey.

Good to see you too Trolly.
It's been a tough week, and I was too tired to go early Saturday and no energy to stay all day after the week I had.

LBSea
04-09-2012, 10:47 AM
I will second BACON.

shinbob
04-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Bait was untouched.
Best bait I ever used in the past was trout head, carcass and guts.
Got a five gallon bucket of crawdads in Big Bear back in the day.

Yup, fish heads and guts work great. One time I tried setting identical traps, same night, same lake, baited with fresh guts (saltwater fish of course, in case the DFG's watching), bacon, and cat food. The guts worked the best by far, the bacon was in second place, and the cat food was dead last.

Geraldlim
04-09-2012, 04:35 PM
I guess I better get salmon heads and guts then.
Is that the regulation- no freshwater fish as bait?

cutbait
04-09-2012, 04:48 PM
For what its worth Gerald... look into setting your traps in dirt canals, ponds, reservoirs... I see you fish the coachella canal.. try it and its off shoots..

I will add that I believe its still too early in spring. Crawdads mud up in winter and I usually don't start seeing them till summer Im no crawdad expert by any means but I work with and around their environmet daily. I do know I haven't seen one since nov..

I am also skeptical of a nig crawdad population in a lake such as dvl.. stripers and lmb I've seen you guys catch would massacre them

TopwaterTony
04-09-2012, 05:20 PM
I say +1 to bacon, and add hot dog chunks to the list

ToonaTangler
04-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Are you allowed to bring in your own crawdads at DVL?

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Surprised that you got Nill ...

Location location location....

shuldn't be a big deal with what ur baiting....although striper is not real oily but still should work (not sure of legality ?)

Bacon seems like a good choice but chicken would be my pick..

Rocky locations are a MUST and don't go extremely deep would be my thoughts...

Try an entire different region till you find them....

TrouTracker
04-13-2012, 12:54 PM
There is a population of crawdads in DVL. Striper stomach contents have shown that they are preying on them. Be careful about bringing them in from other waters, as DF&G won't allow that. Gerald's right about Big Bear, which is a much more mature lake than DVL. There's a ton of them in there. At the old Gray's Landing, we used to catch them as we were fishing for trout. Those were the "good ole" days...........

smokehound
04-13-2012, 01:31 PM
As I said before crayfish are secretive.
The opening of your trap must be right against the rocks. Fresh bait is. Best.

DarkShadow
04-13-2012, 02:12 PM
As I said before crayfish are secretive.

Very secretive.

They'll never tell.

ushone
04-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Hahaha darkshadow. Heading out sunday ill give it a shot and drop the trap at a spot first thing out, ill let you guys know how it goes.

Geraldlim
04-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Never even considered the legality issue for the bait; always thought that would be a finfish bait issue. But you're right. Next time it will be something that won't get me in trouble.

BassAssassin82
04-13-2012, 04:48 PM
I spent all week building my copy of a commercial crawdad trap.
Finally completed 2 traps and put them in yesterday for a couple of hours at the saddle dam.
Result - ZERO!
:Sad:

Moved them to the East Dam and left them overnight.
Showed up early this morning full of anticipation.
Result - ZERO!!!!
:Sad::Sad:

Bait used was cut up striper heads and bellies.

On the plus side I did pick up a couple of stripers each day fishing a couple of hours.
Nothing huge, some nice schoolies up to 4 lbs or so.

Is that even legal? Specially an overnight soak ? If it is let me know because DVL bass grub on the craws , I cant count how many bass I have caught with crawdad pinchers coming out of the throat.

ushone
04-14-2012, 09:50 AM
im not 100%, but i believe if you gotta mark it or leave a way for someone to id whos trap it is or something like that...for the over night soak that is.....its been to loong since ive had a good boil

kwin
04-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Crawdad use at DVL is restricted to those purchased from a bait shop that is licensed to sell baitfish and a receipt must be retained as proof. Transporting live baitfish IS illegal and a highly probable method for introducing Quagga Mussels or other aquatic invasive species.
Traps can be used to catch crawdads in DVL, however the traps must be attended closely (within sight is my interpretation). Traps left over night are not closely attended. I can say that if a trap and/or it's rope interferes with my electrofishing activities, it will be removed, so I would advise against leaving a trap out. I've removed other traps, nets, unattended fishing poles in the past from other waters, this would be no different.

ushone
04-20-2012, 09:16 AM
this is from dfg site : (c) Methods of take:Crayfish may be taken only by hand, hook and line, dip net or with traps not over three feet in greatest dimension. Any other species taken shall be returned to the water immediately. Traps need not be closely attended.

as far as over night im still looking.

ushone
04-20-2012, 09:27 AM
also unless i got the species wrong it would seem we are not allowed to dip net for shad like everyone does.

5.65. Shad, American.

(a) Open season: All year, except for closures listed under special regulations.
(b) Limit: Twenty-five.
(c) Methods of take: Shad may be taken only by angling, except that a dip net may be used in the Valley District.

unless lake regulations trump dfg regulations?

HawgZWylde
04-20-2012, 09:57 AM
also unless i got the species wrong it would seem we are not allowed to dip net for shad like everyone does.

5.65. Shad, American.

(a) Open season: All year, except for closures listed under special regulations.
(b) Limit: Twenty-five.
(c) Methods of take: Shad may be taken only by angling, except that a dip net may be used in the Valley District.

unless lake regulations trump dfg regulations?

"(c) Methods of take: Shad may be taken only by angling, except that a dip net may be used in the Valley District."

Lol, THAT'S IT!!! The next "BIG" thing. Nano fishing gear! I'll have the best, and smallest IM 10, 85 mil graphite blanks on the planet! I'll corroborate with Abu Garcia and manufacture the worlds smallest Revo sx. Next I'll hire people to grow their hair long then cut it and use it to spool the reels.

Seriously, how do you "angle" for 1-1 1/2" DVL Threadfin shad, or 2" Delta Smelt? 2 1/2" Silversides?

ushone
04-20-2012, 10:24 AM
bust out the ole ice fishing pole and a sabiki rig :LOL:

HawgZWylde
04-20-2012, 10:34 AM
bust out the ole ice fishing pole and a sabiki rig :LOL:

Lol, Uhhg, I can't, I left it all up in Minnesota. It's in my parents garage. My fold-able ice shack is there as well...

ushone
04-20-2012, 10:43 AM
maybe just hand line a sabiki on a spool of 1lb braid?:Smile:

DarkShadow
04-20-2012, 11:38 AM
also unless i got the species wrong...

threadfin shad are different than american shad.

Although id love to pin a footlong american shad on a circle hook and toss it at some stripers.

ushone
04-20-2012, 11:52 AM
i figured they were different, just wasnt sure cause the site didnt have any other shad species...but ya a quick google search came up with what you said foot long shad lol. But the craws regs are definitely in question still, since kwin basically said the complete opposite of what the dfg site said :Confused:

edit* just saw from a google search on 247 stripers theirs pic of a 9.7 lb american shad lol id put the pic up but donno how

DarkShadow
04-20-2012, 01:45 PM
http://www.stripers247.com/images/kubicaas.jpg

And re: the Sabiki rig, to "catch" shad (aka, snag shad), make sure you don't have a DFG warden around. After conversing with them, it's seem they've caught wind of people claiming that the shad will actually eat the hook on the Sabiki, and they now know anglers are just using the Sabiki to snag the shad.

Don't get caught.

smokehound
04-22-2012, 05:00 AM
Dr phil has a PHD and he's still a dumbass.

The regs state pretty clearly that crayfish are legal to use in the same water they're caught in. Any clearer, and there would be yellow highlights with notes in red marker explaining what the terms mean in a sarcastic and degrading manner.

I dont trust kwin's words a bit. Especially when he claimed no bluegill are in matthews. So LMB and Blue catfish made it in, yet no bluegill? :LOL: yeah right.

ushone
04-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Thats not whats in question smoke, kwin said traps couldnt be left even out of sight and that he would take em outta the water if he found 1 over night, but the dfg site say "Traps need not be closely attended."

As far as the sabiki rig goes, i was totally joking but i had heard that it worked at castaic, but is that what people are doing? (snagging em) cause i think some guy on these forums was the one saying he would jig up a few shad to fish with at castaic and he was all specific about color or you wouldnt get "hit".

Pudd Legend
04-22-2012, 02:49 PM
I've had shad bite size 16 and smaller sabiki rigs. I have also caught plenty of shad fly fishing with a midge. If it resembles an aquatic insect they will eat it.

ushone
04-22-2012, 03:00 PM
This ever work for you at dvl Pudd Legend? Also didn't know they had different size sabiki rigs, usually only see 1 kind of sabiki at the local spots i hit for baits.

LuckyCraft420
04-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Bacon is a very good crawdad bait, use it up in the Sierra's, who doesn't love bacon?

I've always used bacon too. The crawdads love the fattiness of the meat.

VIVID_FLY
04-22-2012, 03:46 PM
At puddingstone just look for the schools feeding on the surface and you can catch with #18 midge

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y316/vivid_fly/DSCF0104.jpg

"(c) Methods of take: Shad may be taken only by angling, except that a dip net may be used in the Valley District."

Lol, THAT'S IT!!! The next "BIG" thing. Nano fishing gear! I'll have the best, and smallest IM 10, 85 mil graphite blanks on the planet! I'll corroborate with Abu Garcia and manufacture the worlds smallest Revo sx. Next I'll hire people to grow their hair long then cut it and use it to spool the reels.

Seriously, how do you "angle" for 1-1 1/2" DVL Threadfin shad, or 2" Delta Smelt? 2 1/2" Silversides?

ushone
04-22-2012, 04:58 PM
hahaha omg thats crazy

bodfish
04-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Hey guys,
Boy was I getting confused reading this thread! But I think I have it figured out now.
Threadfin shad are the bait shad.
American shad are the BIG shad.
Threadfin shad can be caught with dip nets,
American shad cannot.
Sabikis catch (snag?) both shad,
But snagging American shad, BAAAD,
Snagging threadfin shad OK?
Bacon GOOOD,
Cat food BAADD,
Indigenous crawdads Goood,
Imported crawdads Baaad,
Secret crawdads ?

HEE HEE HEE,... this thread cracks me up! :LOL:

bodfish

PS. The pix Vivid posted is a Silver Side minnow (which is actually a smelt but,.. ) And in my day mess'n with other folks gear (traps) was a good way to get shot at. LOL!! :Guns::ROFL:

smokehound
04-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Thats not whats in question smoke, kwin said traps couldnt be left even out of sight and that he would take em outta the water if he found 1 over night, but the dfg site say "Traps need not be closely attended."

As far as the sabiki rig goes, i was totally joking but i had heard that it worked at castaic, but is that what people are doing? (snagging em) cause i think some guy on these forums was the one saying he would jig up a few shad to fish with at castaic and he was all secific about color or you wouldnt get "hit".threadfin shad are stupid. If its flashy or bright they'll definitely bite. As for kwin removing traps, well that's yet another reason for me to dislike his lying ***..

love2catchfish
04-24-2012, 02:13 AM
It is also illegal to "Disturb legal traps set by another person (FGC 9002);"

ushone
04-24-2012, 08:46 AM
as the plot thickens....

Stormcrow
04-24-2012, 11:18 AM
I thought that: "The plot thins" is far more appropriate for this thread.

ushone
04-24-2012, 08:54 PM
cool story bro.

eggot
04-24-2012, 11:22 PM
threadfin shad are stupid. If its flashy or bright they'll definitely bite. As for kwin removing traps, well that's yet another reason for me to dislike his lying ***..

Yep, I've seen guys jig up shad with tiny sabiki rigs at the West Ramp in Castaic and I know for sure they weren't snagging them.

ushone
04-25-2012, 07:28 AM
I think i am going to have to go buy a sabiki rig next time i head out to a bigger lake...maybe this fri or sat as i was thinking about hitting castaic on foot ( as much as i would like to hit dvl but that 3/4 tank their and back is to much for shore fishing) Ill try and see if i can get and shad to go lol...maybe ill be able to catch something for once if i can jig up a few shad.

eggot
04-25-2012, 06:19 PM
I think i am going to have to go buy a sabiki rig next time i head out to a bigger lake...maybe this fri or sat as i was thinking about hitting castaic on foot ( as much as i would like to hit dvl but that 3/4 tank their and back is to much for shore fishing) Ill try and see if i can get and shad to go lol...maybe ill be able to catch something for once if i can jig up a few shad.

Well no point in doing that now. They're still deep.

ushone
04-25-2012, 08:43 PM
I guess scratch the sabiki then, when do shad tend to move up ?

Ryan C
04-26-2012, 12:22 AM
the bass are starving their doesnt suprise me

ushone
04-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Umm what? They are starving where? why?