PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear 4/5, and trout teasinbg me and suprise fish

fishermanx14
04-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Left my house at 4:30 this morning to see the last of the snow at bbl. Started fishing the east shore but soon moved to stanford cuttoff fishing the big lake side. I was using a Berkely floating green trout worm drop shoted with a foot and a half leader. First cast i hook up with a 3 puong 13 inch lmb. This was my first real bass ever. 3435134352
After about a half hour with nothing else we moved to the damn. The guy next me caught 2 on power bait. He had a Carolina rig with a 3 foot leader. I tried the same thing but no luck for me. At about 11 schools of trout started cruising the shore line. They would not hit any thing, i tried everything in my box from power bait to small swimbaits and spinners. Nothing. I found a beach where at one point i counted 12 good sized trout...again nothing. Left the lake at about 4:30 with one bass. One fish at Big Bear shure beats 100 fish at pudding stone hahaha
forgot to add the photo below, sorry about my finger in the way but that black mark is a foot on the tape measure
http://s1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii550/cstepanuk/?action=view&current=13in.jpg

Cameron
04-07-2012, 12:52 PM
East shore would be standfield cut off so where did ya start & were ya going for bass ? I could of told ya how to catch the trout at the dam. Oh well a day with fish is a great day thanks for the report. Mine comes out Monday.

CraigH
04-07-2012, 01:13 PM
The bite on the north shore near the dam can be very lite. I fished it before the last big snow storm and had good strong bites every 15 minutes or so, then fished it after the storm and got very very lite bites.

fishermanx14
04-07-2012, 01:49 PM
East shore would be standfield cut off so where did ya start & were ya going for bass ? I could of told ya how to catch the trout at the dam. Oh well a day with fish is a great day thanks for the report. Mine comes out Monday.

I was actually fishing for trout when a bass hit it

Cameron
04-07-2012, 05:24 PM
PM me next time & I'll try to put ya on the trout.

M@M
04-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the report.... Big bear is a beautiful lake.... great trout lake.... looks like you have some guys who KNOW how to catch the trout willing to share with you.......looking forward to your future reports...many limits ahead!

The Fishing Queen
04-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Good job 'fishermanx14', I thought you were going to fish at LG for spring break.

fishermanx14
04-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Good job 'fishermanx14', I thought you were going to fish at LG for spring break.

was going to, but my uncle invited me up there and i havent seen in him a while do i though i would say hi

fishermanx14
04-07-2012, 09:20 PM
PM me next time & I'll try to put ya on the trout.
will do, they started to make me mad because they wouldnt hit anything

Skyler
04-07-2012, 10:34 PM
The guy next me caught 2 on power bait. He had a Carolina rig with a 3 foot leader.

He was halfway there, he he he. Just look at the rocks on the hillsides around there. If your leader is smaller than the rocks, it will slide between them out of reach of hungry eyes. I use a 9 foot rod up there for a reason :wink:

But better yet, use a slip bobber rig. About 8-12 feet down seems to do the trick nicely. Your choice of bait. Cast no further than 30 yards out. Have fun.

fishermanx14
04-07-2012, 10:46 PM
He was halfway there, he he he. Just look at the rocks on the hillsides around there. If your leader is smaller than the rocks, it will slide between them out of reach of hungry eyes. I use a 9 foot rod up there for a reason :wink:

But better yet, use a slip bobber rig. About 8-12 feet down seems to do the trick nicely. Your choice of bait. Cast no further than 30 yards out. Have fun.

Thanks looking forward to trying it next time

flytyingreloader
04-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Skyler called it. LONG leaders are the rule, not the exception at BBL.

scott e
04-08-2012, 09:20 AM
The bass fishing up here is fantastic and it's cool you caught a few. Do my green friends a favor though and don't lay them on the concrete (or shoreline, or rocks) for your photos. That fish is a nice prespawn female and should be handled with more care. The Big Bear MWD has gone to a ton of trouble and expense to restore the bass fishery. Thank you!

Kelster
04-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the report, gonna take the tube up there soon. Long leaders are the rule up there if fishing PB.