PDA

View Full Version : Die hard fishing in 20 miles/hrs gusting winds at Lake Gregory!!!...):}+{:(...

The Fishing Queen
04-06-2012, 12:54 PM
4/5, Thursday. Got back from my Vegas vacation yesterday afternoon and came to my mountain home last night. After a nice rest and a cup of morning coffee, I drove to LG at 10:20 and planed to fish for a couple of hours. Today's temperature was 58 degrees, with 10- 15 mile per hour wind, gusting to 25. Even with the sunshine, it felt much colder when the wind blows right in your face. I was surprised to see the shoreline was packed with people. So I asked a few people about the fishing and they all told me it had been slow this morning. They had been on the lake since 7 am and only two people out of sixteen had each caught one trout. The situation did't look so bright. When I saw those fishermen in their thick jackets with hoods on and shivering in the gusty wind, I was glad that I didn't get up early to go fishing in the cold morning. I found myself a spot at the south side of the lake and set up one pole for trout with rainbow PB with a 2 foot leader. As I walked away and talked to one of the regular fisherman, I turned around and saw my pole was bending like crazy. I ran fast as I could, picked up my pole and set the hook. I got the first trout within 5 mins. I quickly reloaded the bait and cast out to same location and hoped the school of fish would still be around. Sure enough, after 10 or 15 mins I got a bite and hooked the second trout. This one was a small fish, this little guy swallowed the hook all the way and I knew it wouldn't survive........ After a few casts without any bites, I set up my fly pole to practice fly fishing. Then the wind started to blow on and off at us. I was struggling to cast with the fly, my fingers turned ice cold and I had to call it quits. By this time a few skunked fishermen had left and the fishing got slow again. I tried to fish in a couple different areas to locate the fish and I cast as far as I could to get to the deep part of the lake. Right round 11:15, I caught my third trout. Soon after my last catch, fishing went dead. No one was catching anything and more people were leaving. So I picked up my gear and started to leave at noon. I guess I did pretty good today on a slow fishing day, I out fished most fishermen by 3 trout within an hour and half. As I was leaving a few people moved right into my fishing spot, I wished them good luck..... When I was walking toward to my car, a couple of guys stopped me and asked if I was using power bait or something else to catch those fish. I told them what kind of PB I was using and pointed out to them that they have to cast really far to reach the deep water, that's where the fish were at today. They told me that they were surprised that they only had one fish for the whole morning. One of the guys said he was at this same hot spot fishing last year and caught 40 trout in a day. Well, what can I say? Last year was last year's story and today the fish just weren't there. But fish won't just stay in one area and wait for us to catch them. They swim all over the lake and you have to locate them by yourself. If the fish stay in one spot and wait for us to catch them, that's called catching, but we are talking about fishing, right?!

Sometimes people ask me what part of lake I was fishing in when I caught my fish. I always share my ideas with them and tell them where they should go and try their luck. Cast with different lures or jigs, try all kinds of bait or colors or worms and see what works the best for you. My fishing hole today won't be my fishing hole tomorrow. A lot of time I travel with my gear using my sixth sense and walk around the lake hunting them. Don't we always see someone right next to you, he or she will catch fish left and right, and your spot is just ice cold without any action? Maybe sometimes it is both good luck and experience, or maybe sometimes just their pure luck for finding a fishing hole. Why I say that? I know it is true, because it has been proved by my lucky pink poles!.....

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/ThreeFish.png

AS I ALWAYS SAY:

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/mini5.png

5150fishn
04-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Nice short little fishing session you had there. Glad you were able to get some fish under some tough conditons. Couple of nice brownies too! Thanks for the report.

The Fishing Queen
04-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Thank you '5150fishn' for your kind words! It's always great surppot from all of you who read and relpy to my posts. :Razz:

Which Way Out
04-06-2012, 02:46 PM
I will keep my eyes open for that Pink fishing rod. Then I am gonna bet who ever is next to me $10 that you can out fish him. Sounds like a good bet to me.

Good work and thanks for sharing.
WWO

Troutcz swimbait
04-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Nice wright up,I cant wait to get mine in Utah next month.

The Fishing Queen
04-06-2012, 06:53 PM
How was fishing John? I heard the dinks were active the last couple of days. I was in Vegas and missed all the fun fishing. But 'I'll be back!' and try to catch some on my new fly rod next week. See u then! :Cool:

TroutOnly
04-06-2012, 07:37 PM
YOU BETTER WATCH OUT W/W/O THAT PINK ROD MIGHT PUT A WHOOPIN ON YOU,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NICE BROWNS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,

The Fishing Queen
04-06-2012, 07:58 PM
I will keep my eyes open for that Pink fishing rod. Then I am gonna bet who ever is next to me $10 that you can out fish him. Sounds like a good bet to me.

Good work and thanks for sharing.
WWO

YOU BETTER WATCH OUT W/W/O THAT PINK ROD MIGHT PUT A WHOOPIN ON YOU,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NICE BROWNS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ha,ha, that's pretty funny!:ROFL: Don't we just love FNN - the good; the bad; the ugly; and the funny??!!! Anyway, 'Which way Out' don't worry, I would never do :Beat Stick: to you, I am the girl who will make you $10 richer. :LOL:

Which Way Out
04-15-2012, 09:06 PM
I would give you the $10 just to see you beat T/O :ROFL:

Bob is sounds like a Throw down.............

WWO

Natural Lefty
04-16-2012, 08:37 PM
I agree with you Fishing Queen about your fishing philosophy. The fishing is different from year to year and even day to day, and one fisherperson is different from another. That is why I don't mind telling people what I am doing to catch fish on a particular fishing trip or precisely where I am fishing, unless it's like a certain pool in a little creek maybe.