PDA

View Full Version : Lake Gregory April 5 - Never doubt the Fishing Queen!!

CraigH
04-06-2012, 02:46 AM
Got to Lake Gregory around 9 AM. There was a cold wind blowing and everyone at the ball field looked real cold, so I went to the parking lot across from the boat rental (I think it's called the South Beach parking lot?). Met the Fishing Queen when she stopped by to check on the locals. Total count for the day was 2 brown trout, 3 rainbows all on lures. Never doubt the Fishing Queen when she says she is catching brown trout at Gregory!

Will post pictures as soon as I get them off my phone.

Whiteleather
04-06-2012, 07:57 AM
I went up there last Friday with a buddy and we also did pretty well. My buddy caught 3 browns and a bow while I caught 1 brown and 2 bows. One thing that I definitely noticed in terms of differences is the teeth of the brown trout are larger than the rainbows. They're very sharp and kind of remind me of rose thorns. Anyway, nice job on your catch. I'll probably be hitting that lake up again next friday!

IncredibleHuck
04-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Good job out there, but i'm not too sure why everyone is keeping the browns here?

LittleJigger96
04-06-2012, 08:44 AM
The brown trout were planted there in the thousands years ago. They are a beauty fish you should have released them because they a sacred there.

The Fishing Queen
04-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Thank you Craig, I can't believe you put me in the title line! I was just saying that if you catch a brown, then take a picture and post it. You are pretty funny! Anyway, thanks for the nice report and it was nice to meet you at the lake! :Razz:

CraigH
04-06-2012, 10:04 AM
The brown trout were planted there in the thousands years ago. They are a beauty fish you should have released them because they a sacred there.

And you should know the situation before advising someone to break the law. A county park ranger (white truck with blue stripe, uniform that said "Park Ranger") stopped by to do a fish count because THEY HAVE ALREADY STOCKED THE LAKE WITH BROWN TROUT TWICE THIS YEAR and he wanted to see how many were being caught. That's why people started catching a lot of them all of a sudden. The two guys fishing next to me said they were catching and releasing, and the ranger told them it was illegal to catch and release any trout (including brown) at Lake Gregory. I don't know if it's a county code or state law, but since they are stocking brown trout instead of rainbow trout this year I didn't see any reason to break the law.

IncredibleHuck
04-06-2012, 10:12 AM
And you should know the situation before advising someone to break the law. A county park ranger (white truck with blue stripe, uniform that said "Park Ranger") stopped by to do a fish count because THEY HAVE ALREADY STOCKED THE LAKE WITH BROWN TROUT TWICE THIS YEAR and he wanted to see how many were being caught. That's why people started catching a lot of them all of a sudden. The two guys fishing next to me said they were catching and releasing, and the ranger told them it was illegal to catch and release any trout (including brown) at Lake Gregory. I don't know if it's a county code or state law, but since they are stocking brown trout instead of rainbow trout this year I didn't see any reason to break the law.

Not sure where he got that information, but it has never been against the law to C&R at Gregory.

CraigH
04-06-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure either, but he did tell them that. One guy said he's from Rialto and reads the board but isn't registered, so maybe he can register add some information from his discussion with the ranger?

Matt44
04-06-2012, 11:43 AM
cool of the brown trout stockings goin on ...u noticed the teeth because browns are meat eaters they hunt for food...if everyone releases those browns they can get real huge in the right enviorment....

white belt
04-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Do they charge an entrance fee at Gregory? I checked the site and its not listed but I know the standard for SB co is $10 & $7

The Fishing Queen
04-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Good job out there, but i'm not too sure why everyone is keeping the browns here?

First of all, these browns aren't natural fish for LG, they weren't there in the lake thousands of years ago. Lake Gregory is a man made lake and it is only 74 years old. The govt. made this lake in 1937 and filled it with water in 1938. They stocked browns once before to control the population of the gills and crappies. I understand that in rivers or streams or other larger lakes the browns are beautiful fish and they survive much better in a natural environment. We encourage others to respect their beauty and release them to their natural habitat to maintain their population. These browns are very different than other natural browns. Most have very light orange color on their bellies, not orange halo around the spots. I did research on this kind of brown and found out that they were hatchery raised just like the rainbows. That's why the DFG or County stocks them for people to catch. If they don't want us to catch and keep, why do they plant the brown in a man made lake? ........ I talked to a DFG staff last year and he was a nice man. He told me the reason he was there that day because someone called the LG boathouse and reported a fisherman was catching 30 or more trout, all caught and released using power bait. He talked to that fisherman and warned him ( a new fisherman) not to do that, because most trout won't survive after the release. He said you are only allowed to catch five and keep those five if you are using bait because most trout swallow the bait deep in their throats and it causes more damage to the trout to remove the hook and that's why they don't allow people to do that. However, if you are using a lure, then you can catch and release because most fish caught on lures are caught on the side of lip and they don't swallow the lure like bait. It all depends on the experience of the person (who releases it ) in handling the fish. I can say that 95% of the fish I caught survive in my basket in the water all day, but I saw others who had a lot of dead trout in their basket. And I understand what the warden means. It does make sense.

IncredibleHuck
04-06-2012, 12:35 PM
First of all, these browns aren't natural fish for LG, they weren't there in the lake thousands of years ago. Lake Gregory is a man made lake and it is only 74 years old. The govt. made this lake in 1937 and filled it with water in 1938. They stocked browns once before to control the population of the gills and crappies. I understand that in rivers or streams or other larger lakes the browns are beautiful fish and they survive much better in a natural environment. We encourage others to respect their beauty and release them to their natural habitat to maintain their population. These browns are very different than other natural browns. Most have very light orange color on their bellies, not orange halo around the spots. I did research on this kind of brown and found out that they were hatchery raised just like the rainbows. That's why the DFG or County stocks them for people to catch. If they don't want us to catch and keep, why do they plant the brown in a man made lake? ........ I talked to a DFG staff last year and he was a nice man. He told me the reason he was there that day because someone called the LG boathouse and reported a fisherman was catching 30 or more trout, all caught and released using power bait. He talked to that fisherman and warned him ( a new fisherman) not to do that, because most trout won't survive after the release. He said you are only allowed to catch five and keep those five if you are using bait because most trout swallow the bait deep in their throats and it causes more damage to the trout to remove the hook and that's why they don't allow people to do that. However, if you are using a lure, then you can catch and release because most fish caught on lures are caught on the side of lip and they don't swallow the lure like bait. It all depends on the experience of the person (who releases it ) in handling the fish. I can say that 95% of the fish I caught survive in my basket in the water all day, but I saw others who had a lot of dead trout in their basket. And I understand what the warden means. It does make sense.

Sorry but I never said anything about the stocking years ago, but Browns did get stocked in Gregory back in the early 90's. Every year there are a few caught, and guess what? Those fish were part of that original stocking. I've been fishing Gregory since 1990, and the Brown's I've seen caught over the years are far and few between. Majority of people do release them, as they are mainly caught on lures.

CraigH
04-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Hey Huck,

First, let me say I’ve seen your posts for years and respect your opinion regarding fishing. If my memory serves me, someone with your name used to post on a now defunct board along with a guy named Steve who float tubed and fly fished a lot. That was back in the “dial up” days so it may not have been you.

Second, I understand the need for conservation. I used to fish saltwater, and many is the time I spent several hundred dollars to catch and release larger calico bass at San Clemente island because I understand the need for conservation. However, I am retired, on a fixed income, and like to eat fish so I usually keep the fish I am legally entitled to.

Third, if I caught brown trout in any other lake I would have released them. However, in this case I had a person of authority telling me I was catching the fish that had been stocked for me to catch, and that it was illegal to release the fish back into the lake. If you search my prior posts you will see that I am usually pretty good with the law (in the last month I posted about finding the law others couldn’t find that said bluegill couldn’t be used as bait), but since I was keeping the fish I was legally entitled to and the comment was directed to the guys fishing next to me I simply quoted the ranger and haven’t researched the law. If you are convinced that the ranger was wrong and catch and release is OK at Gregory, and would like to follow up with the County about the ranger making incorrect comments please PM me as I have additional information.

I appreciate your asking why the brown trout were kept instead of simply telling me I shouldn’t keep fish that had been put there for me to catch, and have hopefully answered your question.

Thanks

PS – Regarding fees at Lake Gregory, part of the lake is a County Park that charges fees and part is park where you can and fish for free. If you float tube I believe there is a fee, inspection, and special regulations for anywhere on the lake.

Regarding the brown trout growing, the ranger said they were stocking the browns to help control the carp and that they would be stocking brown trout all summer. Hopefully some of those fish get time to grow, but I saw at least 20 browns caught and kept while I was there.

The Fishing Queen
04-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Sorry but I never said anything about the stocking years ago, but Browns did get stocked in Gregory back in the early 90's. Every year there are a few caught, and guess what? Those fish were part of that original stocking. I've been fishing Gregory since 1990, and the Brown's I've seen caught over the years are far and few between. Majority of people do release them, as they are mainly caught on lures.

Relax 'IncredibleHuck', if you see my reply you will see that I was replying to two posts. I am just talking about the facts that's all. You guys were wondering about the 'catch and release' rules from DFG for LG, so I replied to that too. We all here to learn from each other and there is nothing wrong with that. In my opinion, those browns weren't from the original stock back in 1990's. They were some how stocked or mixed in with stock recently. If they were the original browns stocked in the '90s then their size would be huge. Browns can grown to pretty large sized monsters if left alone in the lake for 20 years..... I think that everyone has their own rights and their own opinions about how they like to fish, and if they caught them on lures and release them, that's fine. But if others catch the browns on bait or lures and they like to keep them, as long as these trout are in their limits, that's their right to do so. I am not the regulation police telling others what they should do, as long as they are legal fishermen and they keep in their limits. We are here for reading and supporting the fishing reports, so let's stick with fishing and have fun and we should leave the political issues for DFG. If anyone is wondering about what these browns look like, I suggest they go fishing at LG and find out if they are truly hatchery raised brown or not by themselves. The evidence will speak for itself. In my opinion, if they are hatchery raised trout then they are no different from rainbows for people to catch and keep. :Smile:*

white belt
04-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Huck jumping down someones throat over a fishing report? What a shock! And LOL @ the comment about those being 20 year old browns... Yea 20 years old and only a 1 lb fish? Come on huck you're such an exaggerator hahaha

IncredibleHuck
04-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Hey Huck,

First, let me say I’ve seen your posts for years and respect your opinion regarding fishing. If my memory serves me, someone with your name used to post on a now defunct board along with a guy named Steve who float tubed and fly fished a lot. That was back in the “dial up” days so it may not have been you.

Second, I understand the need for conservation. I used to fish saltwater, and many is the time I spent several hundred dollars to catch and release larger calico bass at San Clemente island because I understand the need for conservation. However, I am retired, on a fixed income, and like to eat fish so I usually keep the fish I am legally entitled to.

Third, if I caught brown trout in any other lake I would have released them. However, in this case I had a person of authority telling me I was catching the fish that had been stocked for me to catch, and that it was illegal to release the fish back into the lake. If you search my prior posts you will see that I am usually pretty good with the law (in the last month I posted about finding the law others couldn’t find that said bluegill couldn’t be used as bait), but since I was keeping the fish I was legally entitled to and the comment was directed to the guys fishing next to me I simply quoted the ranger and haven’t researched the law. If you are convinced that the ranger was wrong and catch and release is OK at Gregory, and would like to follow up with the County about the ranger making incorrect comments please PM me as I have additional information.

I appreciate your asking why the brown trout were kept instead of simply telling me I shouldn’t keep fish that had been put there for me to catch, and have hopefully answered your question.

Thanks

PS – Regarding fees at Lake Gregory, part of the lake is a County Park that charges fees and part is park where you can and fish for free. If you float tube I believe there is a fee, inspection, and special regulations for anywhere on the lake.

Regarding the brown trout growing, the ranger said they were stocking the browns to help control the carp and that they would be stocking brown trout all summer. Hopefully some of those fish get time to grow, but I saw at least 20 browns caught and kept while I was there.

Same guy here Craig. That was a long time ago! I Haven't spoke to Steve in years, but he had some major health problems. Hope he is doing ok.

I respect your opinions as well. As you were told they were just recently stocked, that cools. I had no problem with anyone of you guys keeping the fish. I was wondering your reasons behind keeping the browns was all.

Relax 'IncredibleHuck', if you see my reply you will see that I was replying to two posts. I am just talking about the facts that's all. You guys were wondering about the 'catch and release' rules from DFG for LG, so I replied to that too. We all here to learn from each other and there is nothing wrong with that. In my opinion, those browns weren't from the original stock back in 1990's. They were some how stocked or mixed in with stock recently. If they were the original browns stocked in the '90s then their size would be huge. Browns can grown to pretty large sized monsters if left alone in the lake for 20 years..... I think that everyone has their own rights and their own opinions about how they like to fish, and if they caught them on lures and release them, that's fine. But if others catch the browns on bait or lures and they like to keep them, as long as these trout are in their limits, that's their right to do so. I am not the regulation police telling others what they should do, as long as they are legal fishermen and they keep in their limits. We are here for reading and supporting the fishing reports, so let's stick with fishing and have fun and we should leave the political issues for DFG. If anyone is wondering about what these browns look like, I suggest they go fishing at LG and find out if they are truly hatchery raised brown or not by themselves. The evidence will speak for itself. In my opinion, if they are hatchery raised trout then they are no different from rainbows for people to catch and keep. :Smile:*

From what you say, they probably were recently stocked, but however over the years guys have caught many nice browns out of there that may be from some of the original stock that have spawned. In some years that creek flows year round or for the majority of the spring, and there is also a nice current that moves through out the lake as well.

Huck jumping down someones throat over a fishing report? What a shock! And LOL @ the comment about those being 20 year old browns... Yea 20 years old and only a 1 lb fish? Come on huck you're such an exaggerator hahaha

Seriously what is your problem there buddy? What I was getting at was they were spawning, which is possible for them there. Brown trout fishing there has been going on for years, but the fish have been much bigger and few and far between, I've know a few people through out the years who have caught some big boys there. I had no problems with people keeping the fish, and now that I know that they have supposedly stocked browns, hey that's cool, and to each their own. If you ever want to get out and fish, let me know and i'm more then happy to help you out. :Big Grin:

Cameron
04-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Nice fish all around the browns seem to be the treat. i would love to see them stock em in BBL would be amazingly cool to fight. I know I enjoy the smallies heck of a fight every time you hook up with one.Nice Job & report.

TroutOnly
04-06-2012, 07:32 PM
NICE STRINGER CRAIG,,,,,,,IF YOURE NOT BREAKING THE LAW OR THE RULES OF A PIECE OF WATER THEN ITS ALL GOOD, C AND R IS UP TO EVERY PERSON ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'VE KILLED ALOT AND IVE RELEASED ALOT ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I AGREE WITH THE FISHIN QUEEN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,

Kelster
04-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Too much BS regarding C&R of trout. I have seen too many floaters because someone gut hooks then sends it back. I C&R all LMB, RE, and BG and trout caught on lures. But if someone wants to keep their fish, they paid for the license and entry fee, so be it. It good to see that they are stocking Browns again but don't send it back to die because you want to hug a tree.
THANKS for the report I really enjoy that lake and The Fishing Queen is rocking up there.

P1M
04-07-2012, 08:37 AM
ha ha Craig I knew you looked familar!!!! I was going to ask but figured it was a slim chance! I was the guy in the red jacket that hooked up on the first cast. Glad your day got better.

seal
04-07-2012, 08:41 AM
It would be nice to see the brown's take hold and do what the plants intent is, control the carp (carp swimbaits anybody?), it would also make sense if that's the intent that all brown's be designated C&R but that's pretty much impossible since the brown's will hit powerbait and it would be impossible to release those safely.

Not sure what the solution is but I understand Huck's wishes for C&R on the brown's, if we were talking about LMB's here that sentiment would be understood and backed by most, I can't blame him for trying!

etucker1959
04-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Iv'e got a question about C&R at lake Gregory. It has been said in this thread that you can C&R, you can't, you can on lures only. Does anybody real know for sure, and if you do what's your source.

seal
04-07-2012, 09:23 AM
I believe this is because of a mixture of what should be done vs. what is legal. I have never seen anything from Lake Gregory indicating no C&R, the lakes that have a no C&R policy like Mohave River have supplemented plants which are not DFG plants and you have to pay to fish kind of like a combination of private and public waters. One thing I believe is not enforcable by the DFG is a no C&R policy at a lake that in the handbook has no regulation against it. I've talked with DFG at Mohave years ago about this and they did not enforce the C&R ban but the lake/park enforcement did.

Very fuzzy area and I like most have not heard of any no C&R policy at Gregory, I would think they would have to put signs up everywhere stating this policy since you do not have to check in at the boathouse to fish the lake you only check in if you are renting boats or launching a float tube.

seal
04-07-2012, 09:31 AM
After reviewing DFG regs. there are no special regs. on trout at Lake Gregory if it is lake policy then it would have to be enforced by the lake staff not DFG.

CraigH
04-07-2012, 09:36 AM
ha ha Craig I knew you looked familar!!!! I was going to ask but figured it was a slim chance! I was the guy in the red jacket that hooked up on the first cast. Glad your day got better.

You looked familiar but I couldn't figure out where from. After I moved off the little sand bar to the area by the wall I looked in the parking lot and saw a white SUV and thought nah, couldn't be. I had my car, not the truck. I forgot until seeing your post that we discussed fishing Gregory the day we met at Cahuilla. It got a little warmer later in the day, but not by much.

P1M
04-07-2012, 09:43 AM
thats funny! again good job on the catch I will be back for sure

CraigH
04-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Iv'e got a question about C&R at lake Gregory. It has been said in this thread that you can C&R, you can't, you can on lures only. Does anybody real know for sure, and if you do what's your source.

I also didn't see anything in the DFG regs. As I previously posted, the guy who told the people next to me that it was illegal to catch and release pulled up in a white full size truck with a blue stripe down the side, and wore a green uniform shirt with a badge and shoulder patch that said "park ranger" so I'm sure he was from the County and not DFG. I fish up there about once a month, and if I see him again I'll stop him and ask him what his source is.

The Fishing Queen
04-07-2012, 10:07 AM

I believe this is because of a mixture of what should be done vs. what is legal. I have never seen anything from Lake Gregory indicating no C&R, the lakes that have a no C&R policy like Mohave River have supplemented plants which are not DFG plants and you have to pay to fish kind of like a combination of private and public waters. One thing I believe is not enforcable by the DFG is a no C&R policy at a lake that in the handbook has no regulation against it. I've talked with DFG at Mohave years ago about this and they did not enforce the C&R ban but the lake/park enforcement did.

Very fuzzy area and I like most have not heard of any no C&R policy at Gregory, I would think they would have to put signs up everywhere stating this policy since you do not have to check in at the boathouse to fish the lake you only check in if you are renting boats or launching a float tube.

I also didn't see anything in the DFG regs. As I previously posted, the guy who told the people next to me that it was illegal to catch and release pulled up in a white full size truck with a blue stripe down the side, and wore a green uniform shirt with a badge and shoulder patch that said "park ranger" so I'm sure he was from the County and not DFG. I fish up there about once a month, and if I see him again I'll stop him and ask him what his source is.

Yes, It is for sure, I spoke to a DFG warden and county staff in the past - If you catch 5 trout on baits, then you HAVE to keep the 5, you are NOT allowed do C&R. But you can C&R if you catch trout with lures. If you or anyone else needs any additional info. regarding brown trout, or C&R to help conserve the lake, just call the number below. The rangers (I know them all) are always very nice and helpful in answer anyone's questions. :Smile:

(909) 338-2233 (boathouse and rangers office)

CraigH
04-07-2012, 10:11 AM

It would be nice to see the brown's take hold and do what the plants intent is, control the carp (carp swimbaits anybody?), it would also make sense if that's the intent that all brown's be designated C&R but that's pretty much impossible since the brown's will hit powerbait and it would be impossible to release those safely.

Not sure what the solution is but I understand Huck's wishes for C&R on the brown's, if we were talking about LMB's here that sentiment would be understood and backed by most, I can't blame him for trying!

I also understand Huck's wishes, and if it had been any other lake or this lake last year I would have released the browns (while I'm not a LMB fisherman I occasionally catch one fishing daredevils and always release those). I was one of the guys who questioned The Fishing Queen's post a few weeks ago about her catching brown trout in Gregory because I thought they were rare, but the ranger said they had already stocked brown's twice this year and would be stocking more.

In reality, this is a lake bordered by a County Park that is at most a 30 minute drive from a major freeway, and the people who fish there during the months it is stocked probably number in the hundreds each day. I fished the south parking lot, and while I was there I'd guess the other fishermen kept around 20 browns. Other than passing some kind of county ordinance saying catch and release only on the browns a lot of people are going to keep the ones they catch.

The Fishing Queen
04-07-2012, 11:23 AM
'CraigH', I don't think you should worry about keeping the browns. They are hatchery raised just like rainbows. If other people don't like that we keep the brown trout, then, too bad!.... If the county is going to stock browns all summer long and not stock rainbows, and if keeping the browns is disturbing the balance of nature and upsetting others, then, no fishing for anyyone! The county should post a sign and say:"Please release all the browns you caught to preserve the lake "

After a few fishing reports I wrote in the past, I realized sometimes things get complicated if it's involved with stupid political issues. Maybe that's why a lot of FNN members quit posting their reports after they get fed up. We don't need to take our time and post anything. We don't have to tell others where our fishing holes are. We don't have to get myself stressed out with worry about how others may judge us ....... *I feel REALLY bad about asking you to post this report about the browns, since you were one of them who were doubting about the browns I caught in my post. You shouldn't be stressed out by what you did. After I met you and spoke to you, and you seem like a nice polite, knowledgeable man. I am so sorry that I brought you into this kind of situation, I truly feel bad!!!!!!.....

But I have to say, I'm proud to be a good fisher gal , I honor the planted trout (not the bass or other real special spieces) I caught on bait from the man made lake-(see how careful I am about posting what I said now) by keeping them and eating them, instead of releasing them to the lake and leaving them to die......

Kelster
04-07-2012, 11:52 AM
'CraigH', I don't think you should worry about keeping the browns. They are hatchery raised just like rainbows. If other people don't like that we keep the brown trout, then, too bad!.... If the county is going to stock browns all summer long and not stock rainbows, and if keeping the browns is disturbing the balance of nature and upsetting others, then, no fishing for anyyone! The county should post a sign and say:"Please release all the browns you caught to preserve the lake "

After a few fishing reports I wrote in the past, I realized sometimes things get complicated if it's involved with stupid political issues. Maybe that's why a lot of FNN members quit posting their reports after they get fed up. We don't need to take our time and post anything. We don't have to tell others where our fishing holes are. We don't have to get myself stressed out with worry about how others may judge us ....... *I feel REALLY bad about asking you to post this report about the browns, since you were one of them who were doubting about the browns I caught in my post. You shouldn't be stressed out by what you did. After I met you and spoke to you, and you seem like a nice polite, knowledgeable man. I am so sorry that I brought you into this kind of situation, I truly feel bad!!!!!!.....

But I have to say, I'm proud to be a good fisher gal , I honor the planted trout (not the bass or other real special spieces) I caught on bait from the man made lake-(see how careful I am about posting what I said now) by keeping them and eating them, instead of releasing them to the lake and leaving them to die......
And a lot more are not. Me being one of them. There are other sites I participate in and we share info and get together for fishing, not bitching.

CraigH
04-07-2012, 12:47 PM
After a few fishing reports I wrote in the past, I realized sometimes things get complicated if it's involved with stupid political issues. Maybe that's why a lot of FNN members quit posting their reports after they get fed up. We don't need to take our time and post anything. We don't have to tell others where our fishing holes are. We don't have to get myself stressed out with worry about how others may judge us ....... *I feel REALLY bad about asking you to post this report about the browns, since you were one of them who were doubting about the browns I caught in my post. You shouldn't be stressed out by what you did. After I met you and spoke to you, and you seem like a nice polite, knowledgeable man. I am so sorry that I brought you into this kind of situation, I truly feel bad!!!!!!..........

Please don't feel bad. If you go back thru my posts I usually post a report, and would have posted this one whether you asked me to or not. Personally, I feel this has been a good discussion other than the comment about what I should have done when I was within my rights and the person gave incorrect information about the brown trout population in the lake. Anyway, I'm now done with this thread.

P.S. I'm glad your family liked my recommendation about going to the National Atomic Testing Museum while you were in Vegas. So far I haven't gotten any feedback about recommending a museum related to war and destruction!!

The Fishing Queen
04-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Too much BS regarding C&R of trout. I have seen too many floaters because someone gut hooks then sends it back. I C&R all LMB, RE, and BG and trout caught on lures. But if someone wants to keep their fish, they paid for the license and entry fee, so be it. It good to see that they are stocking Browns again but don't send it back to die because you want to hug a tree.
THANKS for the report I really enjoy that lake and The Fishing Queen is rocking up there.

And a lot more are not. Me being one of them. There are other sites I participate in and we share info and get together for fishing, not bitching.

And a lot more are not. Me being one of them. *There are other sites I participate in and we share info and get together for fishing, not bitching.

'Kelster' thanks for the support! Sometimes I try to share the info. I know, but you never know what direction the thread will turn. About the browns, they survive much better in large lakes and natural environments because they grow into larger sized fish. Everyone knows that they have very sharp teeth and they eat other fish. Yes, we need them to control the population of crappies and baby carps, but if everyone does C&R with the browns because they think it's good for conservation, then pretty soon the browns will be out of control and clean out all of other species of fish in a small lake. The browns are more aggressive fish than rainbows, they will eat rainbow who are half their size without any questions. Is this a good picture for conservation in a small man made lake? If the big browns eat a lot of rainbows, what kind of fish will be left for us to catch in LG? Everything has to be well balanced, the county stocks them for us to catch and keep, and they will also stock more this year. Browns stay in much deeper water than rainbows and they are hard to catch. Plus they will spawn and live in the lake on their own and they will survive through the years and help control the population of other fast growing fish. If people worry about keeping them and they get to be fewer, believe me, the county will stock more of these hatchery raised browns again, just like they do with rainbows. Don't make people feel guilty by keeping what they are entitled to. They are just farm raised fish.

Here is something I copied from my research, it is small part of the article I read. I hope this will help us all to understand the behavior of browns and ease some people's worry. As I said before, we all here to learn from each other. Let's stick with fishing. If someone would like to have the whole article to read, I'll be glad to send it to you. But now, I have spent too much time on this thread and I am going to go out fishing and have some fun!

Brown Trout

Introduced to Arizona in 1931, the Brown Trout is an exotic species imported from Europe. Brown trout are found in streams and in some lakes in the White Mountains or on the Mogollon Rim Country. They reproduce naturally in streams and are often associated with deep under cut banks or pools choked with woody debris.

Brown trout feed on aquatic and terrestial insects and fish. Adult brown trout are voracious and eat larger food items such as crayfish and small fish, especially other trout. They may be caught on the same tackle and baits as rainbow trout, but are often more difficult to catch. The best time to catch large adult brown trout is in fall during spawning. The meat of the brown trout has a pinkish or yellowish color and is very good tasting.*

etucker1959
04-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Guy's and Gal's, I hate to keep beating to death this C&R thing but, I really want to share what I do know about state fishing laws. Any public lake can with a city or county ordinance create any new law that will supersede the state fishing laws. The problem is many park or county employee's will try to enforce fishing laws that make sense to them, but have no city or county orndinance to back them up. This would be the case of I'm not only enforcing the law but I'm also the one who is making up the law. Even though they think their doing the right thing for the fishery, no one has the right TO MAKE UP THEIR OWN LAWS. So the next time someone tells you are breaking some fishing law that is contrary to state law, ask them politely if they can recite what city or county orndinance by number you are breaking. If they can't or won't ask to speak to their supervisior. Sorry for venting, but this has happened to me too many times at too many lakes. Here's the biggest joke of them all, I was told by a county employee once that you can't catch and release catfish in La Mirada lake.

The Fishing Queen
04-08-2012, 08:20 AM
P.S. I'm glad your family liked my recommendation about going to the National Atomic Testing Museum while you were in Vegas. So far I haven't gotten any feedback about recommending a museum related to war and destruction!!

Hi, Craig, I wrote Karyn a PM and told her how much we enjoyed our trip when I was in Vegas. Even me - the black sheep of the family, (who is the only one who loves go fishing on my own) I am always passionate about writing and art, but not too much into technical and engineering, and I liked it too. We spent the whole morning (4-5hrs) in there and learned a lot, especially my daughter and my son. Here is a clip of PM I sent to Karyn.

'Hi, Karyn, we had a good time here in Vegas. We went to the Atomic Testing Museum today, and everyone enjoyed it. We are the nerds, my husband use to be a engineer, then changed his carrier 20yrs ago into IT project lead, he was crazy about the museum. My daughter also liked the exhibit. She won two gold metals and one silver metal in the Science Olympiad three years in a row. Because she is good in science, her science teacher referred her to the Women's Club (they have a program for women"s education) and sent my girl to Whittier College summer camp (with paid dorm, food and tuition). My boy always wants to built weapons and is very curious about space ships, army equipment and nuclear bombs, and he loved it too.... We did a lot of walking and visited a lot of casinos, and my feet hurt badly.'