PDA

View Full Version : Albacore Charter fishing

eyedea
04-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Hello all!
I know it is a bit early for it, but my buddy and I have been discussing going out albacore fishing; however, neither of us have been before, and thought it might be best to do a charter. So I was wondering if anyone had any "tips" for this or had any amazing places they had used in the past, and wanted to share them. Honestly, if you have any advice I am all ears because I really want to give this a try, but have had zero experience with albacore.

n1ckxlam
04-05-2012, 08:44 PM
The beginning of the albacore season in the semi close range starts in the end of June and early July. Usually, July 4th is a popular albacore kickoff charter date. The start of the season is quirky, there are different trips available. Overnight is a minimum, but early in the season the fish are sometimes on an afternoon bite, so a 1.5 day trip or higher where you can fish till dusk is desirable, especially when the moon is out.

The gear can be rented, and I suggest renting over buying new stuff (unless you have 20-30lb gear already from other stuff). Bring a some 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 hooks and some flourocarbon if you want. usually don't need sinkers or anything else.

Pay attention to the captain's seminar in the beginning of the trip, as they will usually talk about how the fishing will be done starting the following morning. They're a bit more specific, but in a nutshell you're pretty much driving around looking for signs of fish off the sonar or from the troll. If the trollers go off or there are marks on the sonar, the captain will stop the boat and allow everyone to fish. At that time or when the captain says, toss the liveliest bait as soon as you can. Keep it in free spool and let your bait swim out. You'll know when you get bit when your line starts feeding out uncontrollably. Give it 3-5 seconds to run, put the reel in gear, and start fishin.

Bottom line, listen to the crew and they will be of immeasurable help. Bring cash for the tab and tip the crew well! Good luck and post a report!

Boats typically leave from San Diego, and you can get more info from the following landings.
www.seaforthlanding.com
www.fishermanslanding.com
www.hmlanding.com
www.pointlomasportfishing.com
They also leave from Oceanside, Dana point, and Los Angeles too if you want.

Nick

CraigH
04-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Good information.

In addition, if you've never been saltwater fishing on an open party boat before, you get what you pay for. Usually overnight trips run $200 and up, you have to buy a mexican license if they are going south of the border, and may have to pay a fuel surcharge. For the lower price you get a bunk in a noisy bunkroom, buy breakfast burritos and burgers cooked on a grill, and fish with 20-30 guys. Some of the boats were built in the 1950's and don't have conviences like fresh water in the heads and showers. Make sure you bring enough cash to cover everything.

Mischief
04-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Good information.

In addition, if you've never been saltwater fishing on an open party boat before, you get what you pay for. Usually overnight trips run $200 and up, you have to buy a mexican license if they are going south of the border, and may have to pay a fuel surcharge. For the lower price you get a bunk in a noisy bunkroom, buy breakfast burritos and burgers cooked on a grill, and fish with 20-30 guys. Some of the boats were built in the 1950's and don't have conviences like fresh water in the heads and showers. Make sure you bring enough cash to cover everything.

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w388/Lars1000PetalLotus/you-dont-say.jpg

eyedea
04-11-2012, 10:28 AM
ok, thanks for the info! this helps a lot. I have been one a charter, but it was just a little one for rockfish. I will definitely be checking out those charter sites to see what they have as far as prices etc.