PDA

View Full Version : DFG Eastern Sierra Backcountry Guide

patusc55
04-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Don't know if any of you have seen this, but DFG recently came out with an Eastern Sierra Backcountry Guide. It looks quite extensive. Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

Here is the link. http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/dfg-publishes-eastern-sierra-back-country-fishing-guide/

Viejo
04-04-2012, 04:21 PM
It's certainly up to you but you might consider pulling you post with the link. Yes, it's public document on the DFG website but frankly it details where every fish lives in the eastern sierra. It gives way too much information. The trashing of the Eastern Sierra has been an ongoing process and folks are doing a great job without giving them a road map to the places that still are without graffiti and worm boxes littering the shore. If some really wants the information...all they have to do is google DFG.
That's my two cents. This is not a C&R crowd. Make em work for it.

Sierra_Smitty
04-04-2012, 05:33 PM
The truth is that this information, while interesting, is somewhat outdated and knowing what species is (or was) where is only minimally helpful, especially given that much of the survey information was gathered over a decade ago. I personally have found lakes with species not recorded and lakes which no longer hold fish that conflict with this data. A beta version of this has been out for a long time and the same data in another format has been available for a few years as well.

My feeling is that the vast majority of people lacking the moral compass to treat these places with respect, also lack the desire to put in the effort to go there...for now at least.

There is a delicate balance when it comes to use of these places...if not enough people enjoy them, there won't be enough people who care if access to them is restricted or removed in the future. On the other hand, too much traffic could potentially devalue the outdoor experience and turn them into a trash bin like so many of the once pristine places in Socal are now.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if folks had to work a little harder to find gold in the high country....I know I had to.

PilgrimDG
04-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the link Pat. I didn't know this guide existed, and it was thoughtful of you to share it. Good stuff.