PDA

View Full Version : 2012 sierra opener countdown

LittleJigger96
04-03-2012, 08:13 PM
I can't wait for the opener this year there is gonna be some big fish like always. I always start the Saturday at convict lake because its a tradition and then we go hit the ice fishing the most of the day. Can't go wrong with the ice fishing last year got some nice 4 pounders. So where do you guys start at?

paintsn
04-04-2012, 08:54 AM
I can't wait for the opener this year there is gonna be some big fish like always. I always start the Saturday at convict lake because its a tradition and then we go hit the ice fishing the most of the day. Can't go wrong with the ice fishing last year got some nice 4 pounders. So where do you guys start at?

Imma follow your footstep.. hehehe

see you there!

Mr T-rex
04-04-2012, 09:49 AM
never been there before but i do plan on going .. Can anybody pm me some information if you dont mind

IncredibleHuck
04-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Too bad the convict lake campground is closed. Hopefully you weren't planning to camp there.

LittleJigger96
04-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Too bad the convict lake campground is closed. Hopefully you weren't planning to camp there.

No I stay in a hotel up in mammoth so I'm good.

cjschock
04-04-2012, 07:56 PM
This will be my first year going up for the opener. Im towing my boat up and staying the whole week. I was planning on going up the second week but plans fell threw so opening week it is. Have a slip starting on Monday at b port res. Dont know where to go on sat and sun. Thought about the twins or maybe hang around the loop and fish june or grant. Any suggestions?

LittleJigger96
04-04-2012, 08:09 PM
This will be my first year going up for the opener. Im towing my boat up and staying the whole week. I was planning on going up the second week but plans fell threw so opening week it is. Have a slip starting on Monday at b port res. Dont know where to go on sat and sun. Thought about the twins or maybe hang around the loop and fish june or grant. Any suggestions?

Idk were you I would forsure hit up the juneloop there is some big boys in those lakes. Try fishing all of those lakes in the loop. If you get a big one you could always enter the derby that the loop has every year and win some cash and prizes. Also if you want go all the way and hit up convict it is worth it forsure to go down there. Twin lakes might be frozen over not to sure about that.

sierraslam
04-04-2012, 09:35 PM
In the past, (I'm 46) Dry Winters have meant great Openers. Not good at all for rivers and creeks mid, to late Summer though. Crowley and the Bridgeport Res. have been open almost all year. I'm no expert, just going on past experience.

fishermanx14
04-04-2012, 09:55 PM
June loop all the way

LittleJigger96
04-04-2012, 09:56 PM
My favorite part of the opener is the ice fishing. Just bought a gas powered auger and can't wait to use it.

Viejo
04-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Good luck finding ice thick enough to use your new toy. 95% of the Eastern Sierra lakes are ice free.

Sierra_Smitty
04-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Good luck finding ice thick enough to use your new toy. 95% of the Eastern Sierra lakes are ice free.

Totally....open water at Sabrina already, ice fishing looks very doubtful.

Matt44
04-07-2012, 01:27 AM
Pretty sure cj meant the twins in bridgeport! But ill be up as well in the bridgeport area probably run into mr cole and his swimbaits on the twins he's there every opener!

fish'n fool
04-07-2012, 06:48 PM

Hey Smitty,
Any report for South Lake? You think the ice will be thick enough for ice fishing? I was up at Sabrina a week ago, there was ice but I could also see puddling water at mid-lake and the ice at the dam was very thin. Didn't think we would be ice fishing there.

paintsn
04-08-2012, 09:26 AM

Waaah! darnit... well thanks for the info.. hope to see the news bout South Lake.

Joshua
04-18-2012, 08:55 PM
2 guys have backed out of my group I am still planning to go. Unless...... Wife has to go in for Radiation treatment for thyroid cancer. Fishing trips have been put on hold for the forseeable future. I need someone to take up for me, if I can't make it.

Joshua
04-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Less than 7 days. I cant wait. Radiation treatment for the wife wont be scheduled for next week> So I am allowed to make another opener.

LittleJigger96
04-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Phone says its going to rain next week that's not a good thing.

jim young
04-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Phone says its going to rain next week that's not a good thing.

you might melt. be careful out there. are you on storm watch?

Matt44
04-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Rain and storm means great things the brownie may come out to play!

CATCHORBUST
04-20-2012, 07:22 PM
heck yeah man!! Silver Lake is awesome fishing . camped there last labor day ...caught anywhere from 15-20 fish every day. just fishing the beach area across from the restaurant and store off a red and gold thomas buoyant. hella good times there!! cant beat convict though. sucks if it really is closed.
June loop all the way

paintsn
04-26-2012, 08:47 AM
as always..so many count down threads..ahaha

yup yup.. Convict all the way!! and man.. gotta get the shopping done!

pc2mac
04-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Good luck guys and Joshua, hope your wife will be ok....

FadedOne
04-26-2012, 08:52 PM
I am planning to go the weekend after the opener. Don't forget to leave some fish for me.

Beancounter
04-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Hey TH,
From a fellow Raider...Prayers go out to your wife, you and your family.
Glad you could make it.
Good luck out there on opening day!