PDA

View Full Version : La Mirada Lake? anyone been there?

flyhigh123
04-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Thinking of going to La Mirada Lake. Is it any good? Are there fish there? Trout or Bass?

What part of lake is good?

Thanks!

flyhigh123
04-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Just went today and they just stocked it with trout.

Unfortunately, that lake is the pits... the water is bright neon blue! i think they add a dye to the water... Also, i saw numerous trout swimming around upside down.

Anyways, i think even peck would have been better.

etucker1959
04-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Let me chime in on this one. Iv'e fished that lake from the time they put water in it back in 1971. It's best known for being a catfish lake. As for catching catfish out of that lake, I am the person people tell bedtime stories about. lol No all kidding aside, I do know everything about that lake. It's a tough lake, the trout only bite about a third of the time when they stock it. As for how long will the trout bite after they stock it 3 or 4 days max if they bite. As for the bass fishing, if the water was clear during the spawn it can be off the hook. Let me tell you a little story about what the best bass fisherman around these parts did two years during the spawn sight fishing. I personaly saw him catch 15 5lbs or bigger bass and he told me" you should have seen how many I caught when you weren't around". But alas a couple of things happened to screw that up from ever happening again. One the DFG shocked and killed 10 big bass for study.( Dumd Bass's) and secondly they put dye in the lake every tuesday to control the algae, so no more sight fishing during the spawn. So with that being said, no one is really trying very hard to fish bass in there anymore. Are there still bass to be caught there, the answer is Hell Yes. I was fishing there last friday and caught 4 catfish and a trout. One of the other locals was fishing at the carp spot that day when two big bass started doing there spawning dance in front of them. All they had was earthworms with them and did manage to catch the male, "how big was the male" I asked, she told me 4lbs. When I questioned her "are you sure you didn't catch the female" she said "no" it spouged all over me when I was taking out the hook. I then asked her "how big was the female", she said "way over 10 lbs." Sorry for getting off track, but I love to tell fish stories. What part is the lake good; for trout everbody likes to fish for them on the end closest to the street. For Bass anywhere were your standing on concrete. I know that sounds weird, but if your standing on grass move on. Make sure you fish the whole lake and do alot of casting parallel to the bank. One more fish story, I ran into one of my boyhood friends recently who together we use to fish the lake back in the 70's. He told me he wanted to fish for bass with live crawdads, I told him "okay" I'll take you to some of the structure spots on the lake. Second spot we went too he yells" I'm bite" sets the hook and lands a 8 lbs bass, I was a hero to him for that one. Any more questions about the lake don't be afraid to ask.

Karyn
04-03-2012, 10:49 PM
It's a little ittie bitty lake.... that has duck poop everywhere! If you want to go Frisbee Golfing- that's the place to go : )

FKNChristopH
04-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Hows the swimbait bite at that lake? I've been meaning to fish it with the swimbait but I've been to fixated on other city parks.

*Shakaa*

etucker1959
04-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Hows the swimbait bite at that lake? I've been meaning to fish it with the swimbait but I've been to fixated on other city parks.

*Shakaa*

I've got the answer for that one GREAT on the day they stock it with trout. In January I was doing my catfish thing when my buddy shows up with a swimbait, right at sundown he makes cast against one of the concrete's and boom 4lbs bass. Time before last on the trout stocking day I counted 5 bass blowups on trout right at sundown in the same spot. I wasn't there today, I'm on the hot trail of the first catfish stocking in Orange Co.

etucker1959
04-03-2012, 11:37 PM
It's a little ittie bitty lake.... that has duck poop everywhere! If you want to go Frisbee Golfing- that's the place to go : )

It's also a hell of a catfish lake in May and June. Everybody who showed on stocking day took home a limit of catfish. I C&R 63 catfish on the stocking day in June in only 4 hours of fishing.

FKNChristopH
04-03-2012, 11:43 PM
I fished cats tonight from 8-10 got short bit 3 times on fresh shrimp that was sitting in garlic cloves.. I was at another city park. I might hit up la mirada tomorrow at sundown. PM me, lets go catfishing! I'm tryin to get my girl into the game, I got her a decent set up, she likes to fish too.

*shakaa*

etucker1959
04-04-2012, 12:25 AM
I fished cats tonight from 8-10 got short bit 3 times on fresh shrimp that was sitting in garlic cloves.. I was at another city park. I might hit up la mirada tomorrow at sundown. PM me, lets go catfishing! I'm tryin to get my girl into the game, I got her a decent set up, she likes to fish too.

*shakaa*

The winter time catfishing is winding down now, but it was a hell of a winter. In Febuary alone I caught 80 catfish out of one park including some really nice ones. April is the start of the spring time catfishing season which is probably the best of the four seasons. If I get on this bite like I'm hoping to your girlfriend will be hooked for life. I'll let you know when I find it. By the way I'm always interested in making new friends in fishing, so if anyone else is interested in the ride of their life in park catfishing, just let me know and I'll hook you up literaly. (Throwback) which is my offical nickname given to me by all the folks from downtown who seen me fish over the years.

etucker1959
04-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Just went today and they just stocked it with trout.

Unfortunately, that lake is the pits... the water is bright neon blue! i think they add a dye to the water... Also, i saw numerous trout swimming around upside down.

Anyways, i think even peck would have been better.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at La Mirada, As I said earlier it can be a tough lake to fish at. With that being said I drove down to La Mirada this morning to check it out for myself. As of 7:00 am wed morning the trout were biting. I was there for about 10 minutes and I watched them catch 4 right in front of me. Some of the guys were filling up there stringers pretty good on trout. As for how long they will keep biting who knows. The fish were biting in the usual spot, the end closet to the street. As for the bass action one of the locals said she saw some bass activity yesterday and somebody actualy caught one while fishing for trout. Good luck to anyone who wants to give it a try.

flyhigh123
04-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Maybe I'll give it another try lol

whopperstopper
04-04-2012, 05:00 PM
I used to fish the golf course across the street from la mirada, back when it had reeds and the fence was 4 feet tall, used to stash my rod in the bushes and cut class to fish lol.. huge bass...The Park used to be good back in the day ,caught a 2lb oscar ther one time..there's prolly a few nice ones still there but I think It's pretty much Duck Water

flyhigh123
04-04-2012, 05:28 PM
one thing i'll say is that those geese there are huge!

allIdoIsfish
04-04-2012, 06:11 PM
It's also a hell of a catfish lake in May and June. Everybody who showed on stocking day took home a limit of catfish. I C&R 63 catfish on the stocking day in June in only 4 hours of fishing.

I believe it was right around May when my girlfriend and I went last year to mess with the catfish the day they stocked. We also C&R about 50 catfish as well, I was in total shock!

etucker1959
04-04-2012, 09:25 PM
I believe it was right around May when my girlfriend and I went last year to mess with the catfish the day they stocked. We also C&R about 50 catfish as well, I was in total shock!

It was in May, were you the ones following the fish down the canel toward the waterfall catching fish all along the way?

allIdoIsfish
04-04-2012, 09:31 PM
no we fished the center island.

etucker1959
04-05-2012, 01:07 PM
no we fished the center island.

Let see how good my memory is. You were fishing on the south side concrete in the middle of the lake, using baitcasting reels, shrimp for bait, big tackle box, casting to the left side of the bubbles, looking very professional. How close was I in my description of you guys and gals?

allIdoIsfish
04-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Let see how good my memory is. You were fishing on the south side concrete in the middle of the lake, using baitcasting reels, shrimp for bait, big tackle box, casting to the left side of the bubbles, looking very professional. How close was I in my description of you guys and gals?

Horrible description. I can't tell if you are joking or not....

smokehound
04-05-2012, 09:50 PM
It's still a good place, bright chartreuse and white spinnerbaits are very effective there.

old pudd fisher
04-05-2012, 10:46 PM
It's still a good place, bright chartreuse and white spinnerbaits are very effective there.

Yes it is ! But kind of like a city park duck pond, It's small but has cats and some good sized bass in it year round. I would fish it all the time when I lived in La Mirada, way back then. Got a nice cat there last week on a glob of red worms near the weeds.

smokehound
04-07-2012, 03:57 AM
Even small lakes can support nice bass due to the trout plants. However its true that bigger lakes hold Bigger fish.

I like tri-city best when it comes to catfish.

etucker1959
04-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Even small lakes can support nice bass due to the trout plants. However its true that bigger lakes hold Bigger fish.

I like tri-city best when it comes to catfish.

Smokehound I've got a question for you. I know you fish all the local lakes and do quite well in all of them. I too fish the same lakes as you do for catfish, but I never fish tri-city. Am I missing the boat on this one? Another words why do you like tri-city best for catfish.

Boya321
04-11-2012, 12:31 PM
i have fished la mirada my whole life i live right down the street ya its a little lake but i have seen some big fish out off it includeing my self after they stock trout and its a all out people will catch there limit really fast and after about 3days its done there are some pretty big bass in there right by the center drop off and across and like always right off the concrete drop i have caught some good size cats there but when i wasnt fishing for cats caught two on a clackin rap lure pretty funny but the golf course is very fun spot to hit

smokehound
04-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Smokehound I've got a question for you. I know you fish all the local lakes and do quite well in all of them. I too fish the same lakes as you do for catfish, but I never fish tri-city. Am I missing the boat on this one? Another words why do you like tri-city best for catfish.You're missing out, man. There are some honker kitties swimming around Tri-City. The main reason I prefer Tri-City, is the later time you're allowed to stay there... a lesser reason is the shad population that gets quite thick. Even in the tiny pond, the bass get pretty nice. =]

Breaking Bass
04-21-2012, 02:19 PM
I was out there today and the water was so blue that it felt as if I was dipping my line into the pacific ocean...LOL!!!

Mischief
04-22-2012, 02:21 PM
If you like stepping in shiit you'll love that park!

flyhigh123
04-22-2012, 04:37 PM
I was out there today and the water was so blue that it felt as if I was dipping my line into the pacific ocean...LOL!!!

it reminds me of cool-aid

FKNChristopH
04-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Was the derby yesterday or is it next Saturday? What are they putting in the lake?

flyhigh123
04-22-2012, 09:38 PM
la mirada lake has a derby too?

etucker1959
04-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Was the derby yesterday or is it next Saturday? What are they putting in the lake?
Only Laguna lake in Fullerton had a derby it was Sat. As for what they put in, I heard rumor's of catfish, big trout and lot's of little trout. What I saw caught on Sat was only dinky trout.