PDA

View Full Version : 4/1/12 Yak'n the Vine

fishingfiend
04-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Got a classic Sunday morning late start. Got the yak in the water around 10am and proceeded to troll over and along the west end. No love on the troll. I went and checked out a couple of spots along the Catfish Cove area and didn't meter much activity in the 15-25' range. I moved a little deeper and started metering fish in the 30-40' range. Dropped anchor and was not able to stay on the spot due to wind and an anchor that would not hold bottom. By the time I realized what happened, a bass boat dropped the hook on the area I'd been working. Probably just coincidence, but still sour'd me enough to move along. Cruised over to the Flats and found the fish again holding in the 30-40' range. I couldn't get them to hit a mini-jig/cd3/5/kastmasters/Spoon. Finally dropped some powerbait and picked off 2 fish. By this time it felt like an arctic wind howling on and off across the lake, so I headed in while doing recon. Found a couple of good bass spots heading in that I'll hit up next time. Got back to shore and gave my fish away to a nice family who did not get any love for the day.

Chalk up another nice day at the Vine!

btw, I see the upload photo process is pretty weak, this explains why I don't see too many photos on this site. I'm an old member, returning to actively share fish reports. :)

hooks
04-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Nice report,
Yes, the fish are deeper now. It's getting to warm for trout on top. Just curious, where's catfish cove? Do you mean Woodys cove?
If you're trolling now, you gotta use lead core or a down rigger to get to the fish.
It's getting to be catfish time ; )
tight lines

dixoncider
04-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Isn't catfish cove the "second" cove on the south side? First cove past the west shore.
http://g.co/maps/upjpp

fishfnatic
04-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Nice job getting some fish while battling the wind. Irvine can kick you butt when it's windy. Thanks for the report.

5150fishn
04-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the report! I had the same type of luck during the tourney on Sat. Trolling from my kayak flatline only worked early in the morning. After that I couldn't find a fish. Spent the second half of the day on a boat and we didn't have leadcore and we had no more luck until we baited down in the flats and it went off for a little while then died out again. The trout have definatley gone deeper now.

BRING IT
04-03-2012, 05:49 PM
great report FF, my son and I saw you in the flats we chatted for a few min.