PDA

View Full Version : TRIP TO BISHOP April 12th-14th

Jbfish
04-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Hello FNN, i am new to the site but i have poached for info for the last 2 months haha. sorry.... ive recently got into fishing, fished dvl for trout.. skunk, pudd twice skunks, silverwood, skunk. so im not that great lol and was wondering if i could get some help on an upcoming bishop my buddy and i are going on. we plan on leaving thurs morning the 12th of april and returning the 14th saturday. i live in orange county so it would be a 5 1/2 hour drive or so. i just turned 18 so were going camping up there for a couple days of fishing.. i just wanted to know what the best setup would be to catch trout. i will be using a regular pole, NOT fly fishing. i have some panther martins like 1/8 and 1/16 and some rooster tails.. i have 6lb test and a kinda cheap shimano rod. i wanna get some new lures and try different stuff. i was also wondering if i could get any info on the regulations there, and also the best spots to fish that are open at this time. i was doing some research and planned on fishing lower owens, lone pine, and pleasant valley resevoir. any info would be much appreciated. i am also registered with a a 2 rod license just incase anybody thought i might be fishing without.. If i do catch fish i will definantly share all the pics we take. i know this is southern cali forum but i know that more people are on this than the northern forums. PLEASE ANY INFO WILL HELP. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!! *Jbfish*

FKNChristopH
04-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the forum.. I've never fished bishop yet I've heard good things.. First things first with trout fishing, you need to get 2lb test. Fish with minijigs/powerworms/rapalas/powerbait/night crawlers. You can maybe get away with 4lb with the lures. I always use 2lb test on a 500/1000 sized reel. Baits should be fished:

split shotted powerworms/powerbait/crawlers.

Mini jigs/rapalas tried straight to the main line

Drop shotted powerworms/crawlers

You need a ultra light rod to help with the casting and feeling bites. I've heard bait and waiting works up there. So you can have 1 rod with powerbait and another rod with a lure. Have fun and take pictures..

Watch out for manbearpig/chepacabbras

*shakaaa*

flytyingreloader
04-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Panther Martins have--over the years (since 1967)--produced more trout for me in the Sierras than any other lure type. Don't limit yourself to the tiny ones--go up to #9 for the Lower Owens. My two best patterns have been yellow body/red spots/silver blade and black body/yellow spots/gold blade. Gold and silver Kastmasters are another good bet, and Roostertails can produce from time to time. 'Crawlers are always good bait, but I seldom use them since fish INHALE the things and I'm obliged to keep them after they swallow the hook.

I rig my ultralight rigs with 3# test line, and the standard-weight spinning rigs with 6#.

DrePSP
04-01-2012, 03:35 PM
dont worry about getting skunked at DVL or wood. hard lakes to fish unless you put some time in or get lucky. i use 4 lb on my ultra light and 6 lb on my light rod both in green. Panther martins are my choice. I kill it at big bear with solid silver or rainbow pattern panthers. other places solid gold worked for me. if you have the ones above and these youll be set. kastmaster works nicely too. dont waste your $ on rooster tails. their blades dont spin as good and some other spoons dont have weight to them to get further cast or get down deeper.
each lake is different. also try using sliding sinker, quick disconect swivel, and at leat 16" but no more the 24" leader in 4lb test. small trouble hook like size 14 and have variations of power bait. garlic, salmon egg, hatchery formulas. bobber fishing, if regular boober doesnt work, try the slip bober set up to get deeper. i know BBL fish like to be 15-20 down

JAG107
04-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Fishing Pleasant Valley, throw out some chunky cheese or chartreuse PB on 2lb test. I like the clear sliding bobbers filled w/ water and a 12-24" leader. Other pole w/6 lb test, throw a 1/2 oz krocodile lure as far as you can, let it sink, vary your retrieve, and you may get some browns. I don't have any good river tips b/c I suck at stream fishing. Good luck and let us know how you do. BTW why not wait a couple more weeks and have everything available for you to fish instead of just the lower bishop areas?

P.A.W.
04-01-2012, 07:56 PM
I haven't fished PVR but I have camped and fished Sabrina and Southlake for over 35 years. I regularly use 6# test and sometimes 4#. I just take my utility pole (Ugly Stick) in case some camping calamity should befall me or my gear. Power bait and some kind of lure like Panther Martin or Rooster Tail will get the job done. Sierra trout are easy to catch compared to LMB on a bad day. My go-to bait up there is a Roostertail white body and feather with black spots. I remove the spinner portion and just cast and retrieve. I'm envious of you. It's beautiful country up there.

Jbfish
04-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Fishing Pleasant Valley, throw out some chunky cheese or chartreuse PB on 2lb test. I like the clear sliding bobbers filled w/ water and a 12-24" leader. Other pole w/6 lb test, throw a 1/2 oz krocodile lure as far as you can, let it sink, vary your retrieve, and you may get some browns. I don't have any good river tips b/c I suck at stream fishing. Good luck and let us know how you do. BTW why not wait a couple more weeks and have everything available for you to fish instead of just the lower bishop areas? its during my spring break. i have school to worry about. haha and ill be able to get away from all the bullcrap :)

OCfishermen
04-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Ill give you the best tip..... USE LIVE CRICKETS!!!!!!!! best bait for the sierras

Piss on Myspace
04-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Panther martins for the rivers...cast UPSTREAM along the banks and deep pools... reel just fast enough to keep the blade spinning....4# line...take take caution with the rivers, as certain sections have special regulations

Pvr...hike down from the plant to the ramp....work the ramp to the point...assorted natural color jigs will get you on some bows...inflated crawlers will work as well..throw bouyants or other lures for your chance at some brownies...

Check out my two posts from Jan/Feb of last year... I was fishing the same waters you will be fishing...good scouting info....stay at the "pit" for 2bucks instead of paying 15 or whatever it is at the actual pvr campground.

Dont forget to let us know how you did!!!

DockRat
04-02-2012, 04:50 AM
My daughters ex boyfriend is a photographer and went up there for pics with 2 other guys.
They stopped at a spot with a bunch of abandoned cars (they thought) near Bishop.
Someone saw them and called the cops. They got pulled over and held. Apparently one guy broke a window. All 3 got arrested and charged with 4 felonies, $80,000 bail. Sitting in jail now.
DR

flytyingreloader
04-05-2012, 08:40 PM
My daughters ex boyfriend is a photographer and went up there for pics with 2 other guys.
They stopped at a spot with a bunch of abandoned cars (they thought) near Bishop.
Someone saw them and called the cops. They got pulled over and held. Apparently one guy broke a window. All 3 got arrested and charged with 4 felonies, $80,000 bail. Sitting in jail now.
DR

Uh, OOPS. So, there ARE cops out in "the backwoods". Surprise, surprise. 4 felonies and $80K bail? Methinks a bit more than just a broken window took place.

fish'n fool
04-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Right now, all streams south from Independence Creek and west of HWY 395 (including Independence Creek) are stocked and open to fishing. On the way to Bishop and on the way back I usually fish Lone Pine Creek, Lone Pine Creek sand trap, George Creek and George Creek sand trap. A stop at Independence Creek or Diaz Lake wouldn't hurt either. At this time of the year, I usually fish the Owens River and Pleasant Valley Reservoir. For all places, I use Berkley Power Trout worms. Orange seems to be most popular, although pink, brown and red work well at times. This is attached to 2# test and #5 split shot for cast and retrieve. A longer rod helps to get the worm further out. This works in the stream as well as the lakes. For Pleasant Valley Reservoir, I have a heavier setup, utilizing heavier mainline (6# braided) and a 1-3/4" cast-a-bubble filled with water and a #5 split shot (to help get the bubble down). Attached is 2# or #3 fluorocarbon with a #10 Owner Mosquito hook. I've been using the Berkley Mice Tails. Orange/white or orange/chartreuse seem to be working best. I use the cast-a-bubble so that it doesn't get hung up as easily in the weeds at Pleasant Valley and it's easy to see when the trout are playing with the bait. With this setup, I C & R'd about 20 rainbows up to 2#'s in a couple of hours, a couple of weeks ago.

Where to fish at PVR: I usually fish from the northern end. I park at the powerhouse and start fishing right across from the powerhouse (before it comes on line). Once it comes on line, fishing will get diffciult. But I usually walk downstream about a mile, where the stream becomes the reservoir (near the BIG ROCK). Further down, about 3/4 mile further is the BOAT RAMP (although boats aren't allowed). This where the DFG will stock, so it might be worth a try. Shore access is available all along the reservoir but these are my 2 favorite spots. Many people also fish the front of the reservoir, at the dam. I've had some good days at PVR. There is a campground at Pleasant Valley Reservoir, too.

Hope this helps. (try the Mice Tails; my friend uses them a lot; I was skeptical but now I'm a believer)

Viejo
04-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Remember the entire area below PVR and the campground down several miles to the sign along chalk bluffs road is the Wild Trout section and special regs. Single barbless hook...no take...zero limit. It is open year round and the local DFG makes a lap through there most every day during the winter.

OCfishermen
04-08-2012, 09:53 PM
just got back from bishop and if i were you i wouldnt even stop at the river, it is so bad right now, we only caught like 6 fish in there, if i were you go straight to PVR haha wow it was nonstop there yesterday and today we caught our limit in like 3 hours and i got one 4 lber but thats my advice hope it helps good luck and let me know how you do

Joshua
04-09-2012, 10:01 AM
DR
I am no detective,but how does this relate to fishing. Also, noone gets arrested and charged with Felonies for breaking "a" window. Sounds like the BF is more than a bad boyfriend.