PDA

View Full Version : Cachuma 3/31

fishing_addict
04-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Went up to Cachuma Friday afternoon and had planned on camping out over the weekend since the forecast called for upper 60's & sunny to mostly sunny skies. But I guess the meteorologists at NOAA wanted to play a little early April fools joke on all of us by not mentioning a gnarly storm was gonna move in Saturday afternoon. I had just landed a nice 3 lb LMB (safely released) when the storm began it's furry. We hauled ***** back to the marina from the narrows and got pounded with 30 to 40 knot winds, rain and rough waters. Since rain was nowhere to be seen in any forecast we read, my buddy didn't put the rain-fly over his tent and all his gear got soaked. So we loaded up all our gear in the pouring rain and wind and dipped out of the Santa Barbara area back to dry lands.

SDDave
04-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Nice fish, glad you made it back in one piece, must have been wild, I know been caught in a few blows myself.

Carptain_Bao
04-01-2012, 11:32 PM
LOL funny post and nice fish fishing_addict!
I gotta have to hit up Cachuma later on this year since I am gonna attend UCSB.Would u mind sharing some info about other fishing lakes around Santa Barbara?I have done some research but it seems that Cachuma is the only good place

DockRat
04-02-2012, 04:55 AM
40 knots ?
1 Knot = 1.3 mph
So your saying you were on the water in 50 mph winds ?
DR

SLOfish
04-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Sounds about right, we were getting gusts up to about 30 mph here in slo and san marcos pass has a tendency to get quite a bit windier if the conditions are right. Definitely not outside of the realm of possibility. Nice bass, I have never been a fan of cachuma

fishing_addict
04-02-2012, 02:20 PM
40 knots ?
1 Knot = 1.3 mph
So your saying you were on the water in 50 mph winds ?
DR

Yeppers.... winds were steadily blowing at about 25-30mph with gusts up to about 40-45ish... and the wind was at our 12... we were cruising along in a rental with a 6hp... yep 50 mph sounds about right... ;) Not 50 mph steady winds...

fishing_addict
04-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Yeah it was howlin... Cachuma does it right for me. Have fished most of the big lakes in and around LA and find that a lake that doesn't allow any body contact like water skiing, wake boarding, jet skiing, swimming etc is where I'd choose to fish. Just too much surface activity for me. 50% of why I go fishing is for peace and quiet.

fishing_addict
04-02-2012, 02:40 PM
LOL funny post and nice fish fishing_addict!
I gotta have to hit up Cachuma later on this year since I am gonna attend UCSB.Would u mind sharing some info about other fishing lakes around Santa Barbara?I have done some research but it seems that Cachuma is the only good place

I've fished Cachuma, the Santa Ynez River (flows into Cachuma), as well many of the creeks that flow back in the wilderness area of the Los Padres National Forest and have pulled fish out of them all. Also check out places north of Ojai like the Sespe Creek (harder to find fish but their in there).

sbh801
04-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Yep,When the wind blows at Cachuma, you don't want to be on the dam side of e-point or in the back narrows. I've got soaked many times in a rental boat coming to harbor in a rental LOL!!