PDA

View Full Version : Tough bite for stripers 3/30. 3/31

Geraldlim
04-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Went fishing for a couple of hours Friday before meeting some prospective buyers for my old 12.5' Portabote and 5HP Honda outboard at the ramp. Only caught 1 fish, which I dropped trying to bounce into the boat, LOL. Oh well.

Went all day Saturday. Really foggy and eventually windy and cold.
Caught 2 nice stripers to almost 5 lbs right off the bat, then another at the other end of the lake at about 8AM, then NOTHING the next 9 hours!

Just before closing picked up another 2 stripers. Hard fishing.

Also got a few green bycatch, biggest two went 4.7 lbs and 3 lbs.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/geraldlim/Fishing/IMG_0693.jpg

ushone
04-01-2012, 01:35 PM
good job on making it happen with the tough bite, did you end up trying to catch a few craws?

GdHkSet1
04-01-2012, 09:57 PM
WTG Gerald,

At least you scratched out a few stripeys with that cold front, hopefully the stripey troll bite will pick the next few weeks..see you out there sometime.

Sandman_Tracker
04-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Never trolled Stripers in DVL....what's the 411 if you don't mind? Best time of year to troll in DVL for them? Best lures that you have found workk out there? Depth? Etc....thanks in advance for any info..

WTG Gerald,

At least you scratched out a few stripeys with that cold front, hopefully the stripey troll bite will pick the next few weeks..see you out there sometime.

Geraldlim
04-02-2012, 06:49 AM
good job on making it happen with the tough bite, did you end up trying to catch a few craws?
Recently threw my old traps away, then got the itch to catch them again LOL. Making new traps as we speak.

WTG Gerald,

Thanks Vince. I sure hope the bite picks up soon. That was a lot of time on the water and a lot of ground covered for a few fish.

Never trolled Stripers in DVL....what's the 411 if you don't mind? Best time of year to troll in DVL for them? Best lures that you have found workk out there? Depth? Etc....thanks in advance for any info..
Most effective for me is trolling streamer flies on leadcore. Best all around depth to present the fly most of the time is between 20-40 ft.
Best time of year last year (only fished DVL 1 year+) was April- October.

TroutOnly
04-02-2012, 08:27 AM
gerald you just got spoiled on the good bite,but staying at the lake and continueing to fish is the sign of a good fisherman. most get mad at a slow bite and leave early,,,,,,,i never do ,i always fish till the end,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,

ushone
04-03-2012, 10:20 PM
i may make it out this weekend and this time i will remember to put the trap out, ill let you now how it goes.

HawgZWylde
04-04-2012, 12:05 AM
gerald you just got spoiled on the good bite,but staying at the lake and continueing to fish is the sign of a good fisherman. most get mad at a slow bite and leave early,,,,,,,i never do ,i always fish till the end,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,

Bob,the late afternoon bite has been on the last few weeks. The last hour before closing has been really productive for me in a certain cove. We pulled in last week to that spot and dropped anchor due to some wind and a dead trolling motor battery. In 20 minutes, I stuck 6 3-4+lb LMB's. Patience is a lost virtue among many of today's anglers it seems. We are usually within the first 10 boats on the lake, and in the last 3, if not last, getting off it...

TroutOnly
04-04-2012, 01:22 PM
many of my visits there over the years have had the best fishing later in the day,,,,,,,,,,hope to see you this spring and summer pat,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,

HawgZWylde
04-04-2012, 01:32 PM
many of my visits there over the years have had the best fishing later in the day,,,,,,,,,,hope to see you this spring and summer pat,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,

I have to get up in your neck of the woods one of these days Bob. I fished Castaic once decades ago, and have never fished Pyramid lake. I'm going to be up at Upper Twin for 9-10 days at the end of June. You gonna be up there then by any chance?

TroutOnly
04-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Nope pat but i wished i was ,i wreck both of those places on the troll,,,i'll probably be over at the san antonio,,,,,,,,,,,