PDA

View Full Version : Newport surf

skunked4life
04-01-2012, 09:41 AM
So i did some research on this site and went surf fishing for the very first time...skunked.

My set up:
Shimano terez waxwing bait casting rod and shimano sahara 2500
Power pro 15 pound test
Big hammer perch grubs rootbeer flake
No 6 hook
Carolina rig

It was super windy and cold. I went around 6am. First 20 casts, nothing. Then i moved spots and the first two casts...bites!!! I tried setting the hook but no fish. I tried setting as soon as i felt the bite. Am i trying to set too quickly? What do i do after i feel the bite? Do i continnue to slow retrieve or just wait?

Cant wait to go again but want to be ready. Should i be using scent like unibutter?

On another note, i went to M street pier yesterday and usually i land a few spotties and rubberlip perch but nothing but boiling macks. They macks were huge so anyone wanting catfish/crab trap/shark bait, this is your place.

smokehound
04-01-2012, 07:23 PM
So i did some research on this site and went surf fishing for the very first time...skunked.

My set up:
Shimano terez waxwing bait casting rod and shimano sahara 2500
Power pro 15 pound test
Big hammer perch grubs rootbeer flake
No 6 hook
Carolina rig

It was super windy and cold. I went around 6am. First 20 casts, nothing. Then i moved spots and the first two casts...bites!!! I tried setting the hook but no fish. I tried setting as soon as i felt the bite. Am i trying to set too quickly? What do i do after i feel the bite? Do i continnue to slow retrieve or just wait?

Cant wait to go again but want to be ready. Should i be using scent like unibutter?

On another note, i went to M street pier yesterday and usually i land a few spotties and rubberlip perch but nothing but boiling macks. They macks were huge so anyone wanting catfish/crab trap/shark bait, this is your place.With the exception of very strong swimming fish, like Roosterfish, most fish move deeper during rough surf.

I've been seeing lots of macks at M street too. When using crankbaits, just keep reeling. No need to set the hook, in fact doing this can break splitrings if the fish is big.

SP Dan
04-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Hi ya skunked4life,

At least you got out there while the rest of us stayed home and partied! :Thumbs Up:
I like your devotion and perseverance, especially during these harsh fishing conditions!

Thanx for the fish report and I am looking forward to reading more of your reports in the near future! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Mobydick
04-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Try using GULP sandworms. I fished there occassionally and never get skunk. The perch there are usually small. If you want the big boys, head up to Ventura.

midgettosser1
04-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Are you fishing straight power pro, or do you have a mono or fluoro leader?
Setting the hook hard enough on a beefier rod, like a waxwing casting rod, with straight power pro is probably ripping the grubs right out of their mouths.

murrieta angler
04-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Good job getting out.
I think Midget (Mike) might be right.
Robert
<><

skunked4life
04-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks everyone!!!

I made an error in my report. I am using a terez spinning rod. It is fast action if that makes any difference. The carolina rig is on a monofilament leader about 18 inches. On one cast, my hook had a tiny shrimp head on it.

Anyways, i am going to pick up some gulp products tonight and try again this weekend.

GhettoBasster
04-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Try using GULP sandworms. I fished there occassionally and never get skunk. The perch there are usually small. If you want the big boys, head up to Ventura.

Yes. The Gulp Camo Sandworms are what I switch to for a skunk buster when the Lucky Crafts aren't producing, but tradeoff for using the Gulp is smaller fish. Sometimes they are so small it's hard to tell you have one on. I usually C-rig them with a size 6 hook. A dropshot also works. You don't have to cast out far either. They're usually at the first break or closer. An ultra-light setup makes things a little more fun. Just stay away from the seaweed rafts.

skunked4life
04-03-2012, 07:14 AM
thanks Ghettobasster. i don't mind the small fry as long as i catch something. I just don't want to give up on the surf so quickly. it seems as though everyone is raving about how much fun it can be! Forgot that this is holy week so I wont be fishing again until next week but in the meantime, I am getting me some Gulp Camo Sandworms.