PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles River Steelhead

DockRat
04-01-2012, 06:42 AM
After more research on the Malibu spring Steelhead run I found a article WITH PICS of Los Angeles River Steelhead. They don't show every year but with enough rain there genes send them back. You would think that the Port of LA Breakwall would have stopped them. Restoration projects of the LA River are being drawn up. The problem is funding.

ADOPT A RIVER :Applause:
Another proposed option similar to the highway plan.
Companies will be able to donate money towards the restoration and get a large advertising sign viewable from the 710 freeway.

Must read/see.

http://www.fishwithjd.com/2009/04/01/los-angeles-river-steelheading/

Is this wasted money ?

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/CharlieDickson/steelhead.jpg
DR

heydaad
04-01-2012, 07:17 AM
At most all river outlets in So CA (LA River, San Gabriel, Santa Ana, and San Mateo) every few seasons steelhead are caught lining up to come up river. Not many get caught, but they show up in the fish reports. Nature doesn't forget the spawning grounds, even when we cover them in concrete.

cutbait
04-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Yeah, its sad none of this demise was forseen generations back and structures were built to protect our native fish.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and surmise they couldn't of forseen the damage it all did. We just need to protect what we have as best as we can within reason ofcourse

Viejo
04-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Great Slayage on those LA Steelhead!

Some pretty good writing and photoshop work. Well done!

knucklefish
04-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Im calling April Fools joke......right?
Way too good to be true-" You would think that the Port of LA Breakwall would have stopped them"
Have you ever seen the mouth where it meets Long Beach? lmao!
I think this is true though in Malibu Creek.

fishmounter
04-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Yes it's true. And I caught a 10 plus bass at Fairmount Park today.... And monkeys fly out of my

Hometown
04-01-2012, 06:44 PM
you allmost had me lol

christopherstellar
04-01-2012, 06:56 PM
I almost ran upstairs to grab my 8 weight and a couple of articulated streamers! Great post, pretty damn funny.

eggot
04-01-2012, 07:52 PM
i LOL'ed so hard when I saw that drift boat pic... bahahahahahhaa.

DockRat
04-02-2012, 04:01 AM
Im calling April Fools joke......right?

Take a look at the pics again. The last one the dude is walking on water. Lol
Read the last paragraph too.

http://www.fishwithjd.com/2009/04/01/los-angeles-river-steelheading/

That spot is too shallow and void of fish and I’m actually kinda glad to get out of there as the spot is presided over by a series of storm drains painted like giant cat faces. The caps on the ends of the pipes have a round, feline-like shape to them and the two triangular hinges on the tops look very much like ears. I have to admit the cats are more interesting than the normal graffiti on the LA’s banks, but for some reason they’re kinda creeping me out.

I get another strong grab at our next spot, in a small bucket behind one of the 7th Street bridge pillars, but I cracker that one off. It’s getting late and Damon has one more spot in mind. We get back in his rig and drive through a dense industrial area and park behind a warehouse. A hole in a razor wire-tipped chain link fence gives us access to the river and we carefully slide down the concrete walls to the water’s edge.

This stretch of river is particularly…um…urbanized. I wade out past a soggy roll of toilet paper, a half submerged boom box, a few tires, a 5-gallon bucket and a rusted out BMX bike frame. As aesthetically unappealing as the spot is, the fish are here – laying in a non-descript flat that appears to only be a couple feet deep. Damon gets a slashing strike on his first cast and I snag up on what appears to be a transmission off a 1976 Ford El Camino.

In the last half hour of the day, we catch five beautiful steelhead from the LA River and then call it quits. I have to say that the fishing was actually very good – and I missed the peak a few days prior. When the river is “in,” just coming off a winter rain it can be…well…let me have Damon tell ya…

“Dude, I kid you not – I think the LA’s got some of the best hidden steelhead fishing you’ll ever see,” he says. “Forget the Cowlitz, the Wilson, Skeena and the Klamath…LA’s where it’s at, bro!”
More Info

Next time you’re down in LA and want to try a little steelhead fishing, give Damon’s Los Angeles River Outfitters Guide Service a call at (310) APRIL-FOOLS

Okay, I guess I had better put this disclaimer in here, based on the number of emails I’ve been getting. You missed one valuable piece of information in this article…in fact, it’s in the paragraph above: THIS IS AN APRIL FOOL’S GAG!!

Tagged as: April Fools, la, los angeles river, steelhead fishing

DockRat
04-02-2012, 04:10 AM
I made up the ' Adopt a River ' too.
DR

casting call
04-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Great Slayage on those LA Steelhead!

Some pretty good writing and photoshop work. Well done!
Actually its was a crappy photoshop job...lol