PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood 03/30/2012

DontCallItAComeback
03-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Got to the lake at 6am. Third car in line. got a good spot on the dock. Pop and I read the fish report in the SB Sun before hiting the water. Fished from 7am til 1pm. I only caught one dink crappie and Pop got skunded LOL The paper had said that the crappie bite was hot. not true Only about 20 fish caught all day between 25 anglers. Fishing sucked but the lake and the weather were beautiful! Enjoyed a awesome day at the Wood. Will definitely going back. we hadnt been to Silverwood since before the water was lowered about 15 years ago or so.

seal
03-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Those reports are very inacurate this time of the year especially. Lot's of factors, spring kind of is like a yo you, up and down especially for the more warm water species. I knew those crappie reports were overblown but most reports are overblown and if you are aware of what perks the bite then you know a helluva a lot more than you will every learn reading those types of reports especially this time of the year. But you have to be there when the conditions are right.

M@M
03-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Does anyone have an idea what the average size crappie or Blue gill is in Silverwood? I have never seen any caught there..... but then again I don't get out there as much as I would like too..:Sad:

seal
03-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Does anyone have an idea what the average size crappie or Blue gill is in Silverwood? I have never seen any caught there..... but then again I don't get out there as much as I would like too..:Sad:

I don't know about average but here's a couple bluegills I caught last year on the fly.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/sealfishing/002-4.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/sealfishing/009-2.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/sealfishing/100_0730.jpg

M@M
03-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Seal, Thanks for reply..... those look big....10-13'' ?? What a great Lake, it has everything....... do you have to hike in, to get to most of the good spots? I wish I was younger and had more time to explore Silverwood...pretty steep in alot of areas

seal
03-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Some areas yes a pretty good hike is in order especially if you are coming in afterhours then hikes are longer and most are steep. If you drive in during open hours not too bad but you are probably stuck in Cleghorn or the marina area for easy access, you can also do the dam but I'm really not a fan of boulder hopping there.

I think those were all caught in Miller canyon which is a hike to get to since they no longer open the gate so you can drive down to it. I believe they are going to have some new Rangers to expand their staffing here in the next couple months I wonder if at that point they will have the staffing necessary to open up the road to Miller again? I kind of wish they don't cause the fishing has been great since the access has been tougher.

M@M
03-31-2012, 01:17 PM
I will hike in at least once, to check it out....thanks

M@M
03-31-2012, 01:19 PM
DontCallItaComeback......Sorry about the thread jack....... thanks for your report it got me curious..... Pan fish are fun with UL gear