PDA

View Full Version : Best areas in DVL to catch crawdads?

Geraldlim
03-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Not a report, but what are the best areas in DVL to catch crawdads?
And the best depth and bait?
Are they as big as the ones in Big Bear Lake (edible size)?
BTW I got a decent striper on Thursday, just 2 oz short of 8 lbs. Was fun! Getting some females with eggs now.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/geraldlim/IMG_4085.jpg

flyhigh123
03-30-2012, 04:11 PM
i used to catch tons in snow creek in walnut... but this was a long long time ago...

ushone
03-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Hey Geraldlim, Ive got no experience trapping at dvl even thought my last outing i meant too, but the few times i did at other locations i just tossed it first thing in the am in a cove and grabbed it last thing on the way out. I think main thing is just leave it for a while and make sure its on the bottom.

riverside_angler
03-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Hey Gerald, you finding crawdads in the stomachs of those stripers?

Geraldlim
03-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Only once.
The thing I find most often in their stomachs is sculpin.

HaiTheMeister
03-31-2012, 11:34 AM
Good sized fish Gerald! Great job!

ushone
03-31-2012, 11:56 AM
anyone know how to catch some prickly sculpin? :)

smokehound
04-01-2012, 02:28 AM
For bait, Try mixing some over-boiled brussels sprouts with the bait, crayfish love brussels sprouts. When you overcook brussels sprouts they STINK, which makes them very effective. These combined with fresh bloody oily mackerel are unbeatable!

The bigger the rocks, the bigger the crayfish. Look for rockpiles and have the opening of the trap as close to them as possible, as crayfish are shy and dont venture far from their burrows. Normally I'd suggest just prowling the shoreline for rocks to flip over, that's how I get mine.. It can be fun, get some of your younger relatives to help, kids love this stuff.

it's best when the weeds are overgrowing, they wander alot further with this kind of cover.

And yes, they are the same species found in big bear lake. They are called Signal Crayfish, and Have big-*** claws full of meat!

Geraldlim
04-01-2012, 10:35 AM
How about the dams? There are big rocks there!
Or are isolated rockpiles better?