PDA

View Full Version : west fork at azusa low, but is it still ok?

SlayinRainbows
03-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Hi guys. I was thinking about hitting west fork at Azusa canyon tomm morning. I know the creek is low, way lower than it was last summer (when you could pull out 50 8" trout in a day with some crickets). Anybody know if the fishing would still be good? Maybe a little further up?

flyhigh123
03-30-2012, 02:19 PM
went 2 weeks ago, caught about 3-4 trout. one guy caught 25.

i'm new to it though...

SlayinRainbows
03-30-2012, 02:43 PM
How far up did you go from the parking lot?

flyhigh123
03-30-2012, 03:12 PM
which parking lot are you referring to? I caught mine on the east and then headed west where i got skunked, but this was in the afternoon. The guy i talked to caught them where the west splits between san gabriel trail and the road to cogswell.

btw, these are small rainbows, around 5-8 inches

SlayinRainbows
03-31-2012, 03:18 PM
I think it's the first parking lot you can turn left into after you pass the east fork road. You totally gave me the news I wanted to hear thanks man. They're still biting up there!

ScottyP
03-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Remember the West Fork has special regulations; only barbless artificials allowed past the second bridge, and no take.

I did ok on small dry flies about three weeks ago, but that was about four miles in.

Skyler
03-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Remember that catching and releasing these fish in low/slow flow conditions can be extremely stressful on them.

SlayinRainbows
03-31-2012, 11:33 PM
Ya know I am fortunate to have had a friend who knew about the rules past the second bridge and I have also taken care to release my catches as delicately as possible. I am however pleased to know people around here are helping to keep others aware of regulations like these which keeps the fishing good. I mos def need to start practicing some other techniques than just live crickets. I've never ventured pass the 2nd bridge before.