PDA

View Full Version : Just an idea. Alabama rig for Halibut?

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
03-29-2012, 11:42 PM
It was just a thought crossing through my mind. How bad would it be to try putting 3 Lucky Crafts or 3 Swimbaits on an alabama rig and throwing that into the jetty? It would still look like a school of bait fish right? Would it work or am I being stupid?

Ifishtoolittle
03-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Why wouldn't it work? But, if you get snagged with 3 LCs on that will cost you a pretty penny.

iLLest
03-30-2012, 12:07 AM
the idea of using an alabama also has been running through my mid, but I never thought of using LC's with it.
I guess it would somewhat work...but if you get snagged oh man, your in for some trouble.
What I was thinking was actually using zoom flukes or maybe some 4" or 5" grubs, so that they have alot of play on the tail while moving through the water.
I know some sweet spots where I dont see it failing honestly...but there's only one way of finding out, getting out there and trying it!

dont know about you, but I'm not going to give the 3 LC idea a shot lol. Thats all you. hahaha

smokehound
03-30-2012, 02:39 AM
What if three legals all bite the rig? :LOL:

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
03-30-2012, 05:13 AM
What if three legals all bite the rig? :LOL:

Then I am one lucky and unlucky SOB lol!

bassyakker
03-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Probably wouldnt be legal with 6 or more trebles. Perhaps thats a new snagger method. lol

Which Way Out
03-30-2012, 01:17 PM
I sure would like to see a video of you doing it before I cast any judgement on your quote--> " Would it work or am I being stupid? "

midgettosser1
03-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Haven't had any hands on experience with an a-rig. But I would imagine the extra weight would mean you are dragging the LC's along the bottom, which is asking for trouble. Probably wouldn't have the right action either. And as bassyakker mentioned, that just doesn't seem legal with all those hooks.

Plus you are just asking to mangle the crap out of anything that bites it or gets near it.

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
03-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Thanks everyone. I was just wondering if anyone had tried it or if it was just a bad idea. Sounds like its just a bad idea so i guess I should stray from it. Again thanks to everyone who responded.

FKNChristopH
03-30-2012, 04:55 PM
the law in CA says no more than 3 hooks in freshwater and I believe no more than 2 hooks in saltwater.

DockRat
03-30-2012, 07:37 PM
IT WOULD WORK GREAT !

For catching plastic bags in Long Beach.
DR

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
03-30-2012, 08:02 PM
the law in CA says no more than 3 hooks in freshwater and I believe no more than 2 hooks in saltwater.

How about everyone using a sabiki rig? Also, I was thinking of maybe three dummy big hammers and the farthest with a hook.Maybe? IDK

dickymoe
03-30-2012, 09:01 PM
off course it will work been doing it for months. use flukes,i would'nt even attempt the Lc,s.

iLLest
03-31-2012, 02:13 AM

:Big Grin:

There are hook restrictions inside SF Bay. There are certain species that have hook restrictions (rockfish, cabezon, lingcod, etc.). Where you are fishing, you can use as many hooks as you want, as long as you are not targeting those species with hook restrictions, or have those species in your possession. So, if you are fishing for halibut, WSB, calicos, sandies, perch, croakers, YT, etc., you can use as many hooks as you want.

here's what DFG had to say in response to a similar question:

"Using multiple hooks and rods outside the Golden Gate?

Question: I know that you can use as many rods and hooks as you want outside the Golden Gate, but can I use multiple rods to catch striped bass and halibut from the shore? I already know that only one rod can be used for salmon, rockfish and lingcod. I have heard that once I have a striped bass or a halibut in possession, then only one rod can be used. (Eddie H.)

Answer: If you are outside of the San Francisco Bay and fishing from shore for halibut and striped bass, you can use as many rods and hooks as you want. However, if you catch a species like salmon or rockfish, you will have to release it as only one line may be used to take these species (California Code of Regulations Title 14, section 28.65)."

Source: http://californiaoutdoors.wordpress.com/2011/12/01/i-want-to-be-a-snake-charmer/

jerryG
03-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Yeah if there were such a law in place that limited fishing 2 hooks for all species then sabiki rigs would need to cut down and Factory LC FM Lures would be illegal to fish straight out of the box (these lures have 3 hooks). Thankfully as mentioned it is legal to use more than 2 hooks in Saltwater however there are some regulations that may limit the number of hooks that can be used which are specific species and location.

Anyways It would be awesome if someone would come up with a heavier duty version of the Alabama rig made to stand up to Saltwater fish. The freshwater guys in Cali are not placing a lure with a hook on every arm of the umbrella. So if you are using swim baits in your rig you would want to have a swim bait on each arm of the umbrella but you place the swim bait in the center of the rig a little further back than the rest and this bait would definitely always have a hook on it. You would also place hook on a couple of the baits on the outside edges. the rest of the baits on the rig won't have a hook. This is how people keep it legal. The furthest one back in the center is usually going to be the one that gets nailed. As an alternative to swim baits you may also try mixing it up by replacing 2 or three of the swim baits in on rig with willow blades throw a lot of flash. I was thinking it might be good to have the willows then just a have a chrome croc in the center behind the pack. It may take some time to get the rig dialed in and figure out what works best under different conditions. I do believe the rig would be extremely effective in saltwater.

JerryG

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
04-01-2012, 05:04 PM
IT WOULD WORK GREAT !

For catching plastic bags in Long Beach.
DR

Actually seal beach but i understand the idea

midgettosser1
04-02-2012, 11:23 AM
It was just a thought crossing through my mind. How bad would it be to try putting 3 Lucky Crafts or 3 Swimbaits on an alabama rig and throwing that into the jetty? It would still look like a school of bait fish right? Would it work or am I being stupid?

I just realized this might be the most appropriate form of fishing for you based on your forum name.

bsp
04-02-2012, 11:38 AM
On a flat sandy beach with no rocky structure to snag on or off the end of a jetty with deep water I could see it working. Use swimbaits or other soft plastics instead of hard baits though to make it more snag resistant. Fully rigged up it would way a decent amount, so you'd need a heavier set up than usual to fish it. I could see it working and actually was talking about it a while ago with a few people, but you'd just need the right conditions/beach to fish it at. It'll sink like a rock and LCs tend not to work as well when they're bumping mashed into the sand, which is why swimbaits and other plastics would be a better choice.

JL
04-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Interesting topic since i just rigged 2 "umbrella" rigs for halibut fishing in deep water. However i have the same issue. I can't find any definitive information on how many hooks are legal on salt water near shore. Yes the california law for fresh water is 3 hooks on an umbrella or alabama rig. But what is it for Saltwater? I don't think it would be 2 because there are several types of fishing done in saltwater that allow more than two. Kabuki rigs would be illegal if it were only 2 hooks. So would some cod rigs. I will contact DFG to see where the information can be found.

JL
04-04-2012, 10:20 AM
i just read through the regs again for Salt water fishing Although some species have restricted requirements of 1 rod 2 hooks the only specific section had the following information (from the DFG marine regulations for 2012 -2013

How many fishing rods and hooks can I use when sport fishing in the ocean?

A. Any number of hooks and fishing lines may be used in all ocean waters and bays with the following exceptions:

You can only use one line with no more than three hooks while fishing in San Francisco and San Pablo bays between the Golden Gate Bridge and the west Carquinez Bridge.
When you are fishing from a public pier you can use only two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two crab nets, crab traps or other appliances used to take crabs.
When you are fishing for rockfish or lingcod or you have rockfish or lingcod aboard your boat, you can only use one line with no more than two hooks.
If you are fishing north of Point Conception for salmon or have salmon on board your boat, you can only use one rod and line with no more than two single barbless hooks (check current salmon regulations for other hook restrictions).

I hope this gives some clarity to the discussion. I am going to use my umbrella rig next week. I have it rigged with 6 soft baits but only 3 have hooks.