PDA

View Full Version : trolling from a boat...legit fishing or not?

fishreaper
03-29-2012, 10:48 PM
out of curiosity do you guys and gals consider trolling from a boat legit fishing? personally im fine with it from a float tube where you are the motor and can cover limited ground, but motoring all over a lake with a rapala just seems cheap to me especially for trout. just my opinion

Sandman_Tracker
03-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Why wouldn't it be legit fishing? Still have to have the right setup, troll at the correct speed, use the correct bait, or discover what bait is the favorite of the day, find the fish at the depth they are at.....it's fishing. What's the difference when we bass fish and we are using a trolling motor to cover large amounts of area on the water. You still have to do all of the above.....Just my .02

fishreaper
03-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Why wouldn't it be legit fishing? Still have to have the right setup, troll at the correct speed, use the correct bait, or discover what bait is the favorite of the day, find the fish at the depth they are at.....it's fishing. What's the difference when we bass fish and we are using a trolling motor to cover large amounts of area on the water. You still have to do all of the above.....Just my .02
and i respect your .2 you make some good points

Armofisher818
03-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Trolling: real fishing<skunk relief

fishreaper
03-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Trolling: real fishing<skunk relief

:LOL: true

marinate
03-29-2012, 11:52 PM
out of curiosity do you guys and gals consider trolling from a boat legit fishing? personally im fine with it from a float tube where you are the motor and can cover limited ground, but motoring all over a lake with a rapala just seems cheap to me especially for trout. just my opinion

I totally hear where your coming from. I use to think the same way and still do to an extent. I would be standing on shore watching boaters trolling while they sit back shootin the breeze with buddies, havin a beer, listening to the radio, etc...while pulling line. Didn't seem very sporting to me. I thought to my self, "How is that fishing?" On shore I'm casting, retrieving, feeling the weight/lure on the end of my line, and finally feeling the tug from a fish. To me that's fishing. Then I buy a kayak/float tube and now I'm beginning to like trolling as a method of fishing, but I don't feel disconnected to the "mechanics" of fishing because I'm pulling the line, varying the speed, changing the direction of the lure I'm pulling with my own arm power (not a motor/machine) and visual cues relative to my kayak. To do this effectively, you have to focus on what your doing while watching your rod/line/lure. So now I'm enjoying the benefits of trolling without getting too far away from the "connectedness" with my equipment and technique in the same way that I experience when fishing from shore or casting from a boat. Hope that makes sense.

More thoughts: But then again, how is bait and wait different than trolling? If you question the legitimacy of trolling, I guess you'd also have to question bait and wait...and this technique probably represents a majority of people who fish.

Armofisher818
03-30-2012, 12:03 AM
I totally hear where your coming from. I use to think the same way and still do to an extent. I would be standing on shore watching boaters trolling while they sit back shootin the breeze with buddies, havin a beer, listening to the radio, etc...while pulling line. Didn't seem very sporting to me. I thought to my self, "How is that fishing?" On shore I'm casting, retrieving, feeling the weight/lure on the end of my line, and finally feeling the tug from a fish. To me that's fishing. Then I buy a kayak/float tube and now I'm beginning to like trolling as a method of fishing, but I don't feel disconnected to the "mechanics" of fishing because I'm pulling the line, varying the speed, changing the direction of the lure I'm pulling with my own arm power (not a motor/machine) and visual cues relative to my kayak. To do this effectively, you have to focus on what your doing while watching your rod/line/lure. So now I'm enjoying the benefits of trolling without getting too far away from the "connectedness" with my equipment and technique in the same way that I experience when fishing from shore or casting from a boat. Hope that makes sense.

More thoughts: But then again, how is bait and wait different than trolling? If you question the legitimacy of trolling, I guess you'd also have to question bait and wait...and this technique probably represents a majority of people who fish.

Well If your catching fish it's all good some just takes more skill than others

goodguy
03-30-2012, 07:38 AM
Ever try trolling? It's NOT as easy as it looks... It's far from grabbing a rappala and driving around in the boat. There's a lot more envolved than you think.

Which Way Out
03-30-2012, 08:01 AM

Cheap! Have you seen the price of gas lately?

Kidding aside, on some lakes that may be the only real option. Consider Lake Tahoe, sure you can catch fish from the shore. But to get the fish out away from shore, its Troll and Troll Deep. Many lakes are that way.
JMHO

WWO

TroutOnly
03-30-2012, 08:46 AM
trolling is one of the smartest ways to fish ,and its way more complicated than throw a lure out and drive.it gives you more chances at more big fish because you can cover a lake and find feeding schools as apposed to schools that are there in a area but not feeding.there are so many things to consider, right line ,lures,lure depth ,speed of boat ,right structure ,non-structure,are you flat lining ,using leadcore using downriggers my favorite,are you using dodgers,flashers,wedding rings,spoons ,what type of spoons ,crankbaits ,what size color,diving depth,or with stripers ,flies,spoons ,rapalas,u-rigs with a hundred different types,,,,,,its way more complicated the it looks but when you figure it out it is relaxing to get the gear set and relax until the lures get struck and the fight begins,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,i,m not trying to hate but being a trolling expert i do get insulted,because some folks dont like it but its usally because they dont know how to it or understand it,,,,,,,,,

P.A.W.
03-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Interesting subject. Is using live bait really fishing? Or is using artificial a must? Do we have to present the lure/bait by hand? or is pulling it with a boat ok? I guess there is no right answer. Just do what you like.

TrouTracker
03-30-2012, 09:41 AM
To FR- I understand that you're not bashing troller's, but merely asking about the legitimacy of it. One suggestion would be to go out with a good troller and watch the process. It's totally unique to any other type of fishing, as everything is specialized. For guys that troll seriously, there are leadcore and downrigging special rods that you need to have. You most likely will need to get a downrigger and all of the accessories for it, including releases, stackers, weighted lead DR balls and more. To attract fish, you'll need to get the proper size Pro Dodgers or Flashers. Lastly, you'll need specialized line and lures.

There's a tremendous learning curve you need to go through. There's different techniques of navigating your boat through schools of fish. You'll find that driving your boat in "S" turns creates more action with your lure presentations. Hook up with a good troller at your favorite lake and ask if you can fish with them for a half day. You'll be surprised what troller's actually go through when they're fishing. Maybe one day you'll become a troller, it's a little more work than just dropping your line and driving straight ahead.

DrePSP
03-30-2012, 11:23 AM
I love trolling. It effective and relaxing. Maybe you need to go out with your friends and hang out with some beer or what ever and just chill. Nothin like it after hard week of work.

shinbob
03-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Interesting subject. Is using live bait really fishing? Or is using artificial a must? Do we have to present the lure/bait by hand? or is pulling it with a boat ok? I guess there is no right answer. Just do what you like.

Not meant as a flame, just an observation: no matter what kind of fishing you do, there is someone else that looks down on that method. The lure buys vs. bait guys, Fly rodders vs. gear fishers, Local SW vs Freshwater, private boaters vs. party boats, big game SW vs local SW, etc.... Then you have the activists vs. all of us.

Bottom line, if it's legal and you are having fun doing it, I would call that "legit".

Stormcrow
03-30-2012, 11:45 AM
As this topic has been visited several times over on this website I will still bite:

I think any fishing is legit fishing....trolling just doesnt appeal to me as very much fun. When salt water fishing, trolling is simply used to locate a feeding billfish or tuna. Those fish hooked trolling are lost at a much higher percentage in salt water.

Besides, cranking up heavy leadcore just takes all the fight and fun out of hooking a big striper to me. Too much of the feel is absorbed by the line. Its just boring to me. But I agree with TO, its an effective way to fish if thats what you like!

tracker16
03-30-2012, 11:48 AM
What do you mean CHEAP Boat over $25.000 trolling gear and all Nothing cheap about it.

fishreaper
03-30-2012, 01:47 PM
What do you mean CHEAP Boat over $25.000 trolling gear and all Nothing cheap about it.
Didn't mean cheap as in financially inexpensive I meant cheap as in weak. As I said before I respect everyones opinion just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on the subject. Not trying to upset anyone. There have been some cool replies to the post that gave me a little more insight to trolling

P.A.W.
03-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Shinbob Didn't take it as a flame at all. I actually agree with you. I was schooled by Trout Only on some trolling tecniques and belive me I use what I learned. BUT I also do my share of surface lure casting as well as some finnesse fishing for LMB. It's all good. Heck, there are even some days when the stripers are boiling that I kinda think my Lucky Craft ghost minnow is an unfair advantage when I have a limit by 9am.

When I camp at Southlake or Sabrina in October I always fish barbless to help even things out. I've even caught trout there on a bare red hook!! Now that's sporting. :)

JAG107
03-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Well I personally think trolling is far more technical and sporting than throwing out some bait and waiting for a strike. And what aboutsight-fishing mini-jigs in clear water? Sure it works but is that "cheap" fishing too? There have been many good points made in this thread, maybe trolling is a bit overlooked by the still-fishing crowd. And if losing the fight by using leadcore isn't your thing, there are options (ie downriggers). When trolling you have to decipher the right actions for the given conditions, find the fish, what they want to eat, etc, it's not just throwing out a line and hook with something on it and hoping it gets eaten. To me I find that trolling exposes the real predatory instincts of a gamefish rather than get a reaction from an opportunistic feeder. The fish must see/smell/feel the lure, follow it, and decide to strike. A troller who just puts the lures out, puts the motor in gear turns up the radio and kicks back drinking either has the situation dialed and is relaxing or he just doesn't care about what he's doing, just my opinion. Like TO said there's a whole lot involved in trolling and it takes a lot of time on the water to master it, it's not the unfair advantage to catching fish like has been implied.

DockRat
03-30-2012, 08:38 PM
So many styles of fishing.
Go trolling for Tuna and when your reel goes ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Then a 15 min battle with your arms burning.
Talk about a rush.

Trolling at the Vine = http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/BJ_BOBBI_JO9/BED%20and%20sleepy%20smileys/yawn.gif

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af168/dober_00/IMG_2098.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x310/neticsydney/med_gallery_1441_100_8401.jpg
DR

JAG107
03-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Dockrat,
I guess until I get to post some glorious pics of epic trolling adventures like you've had, the Vine will just have to do. ;)
I would LOVE to get up north and troll those trophy fisheries closer to Canada, that is a monster you have there!

DockRat
03-31-2012, 09:55 PM
that is a monster you have there!

Thanks, I jacked that pic from someone on photobucket.:Secret:

You can troll for Threshers locally inshore.
Here is a guy trolling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KTIRxM8Yyk

DR

Trout Killa
04-20-2012, 09:00 AM
I also felt that way about trolling Reaper but based off all the responses I want to try it at BBL but don' t even know where to start rod, reel, line, lure, knot, weight, leader, boat speed.... etc.

fishincrave
04-20-2012, 09:26 AM
A good fisherman will use all of his skills to catch fish .
Either trolling, bait and wait, jigging ,or casting, it depends on what the conditions are .
There are days where trolling is the only way to go and you better be good at it if you want to catch fish .
As many have stated trolling is not that easy I've seen T/O in and he works hard to get the fish where some are struggling .
and yet there are days you troll for hours and you make a stop and use bait and it's none stop .

Sean

laserbrn
04-23-2012, 06:40 AM
I don't get this. I use everything in the bag to catch fish when I go out. Trolling allows me to cover water and search for schools of fish. It's far from just cruising around and hoping to get a strike. Why do you think you'll see guys trolling the same spot over and over for a period of time?

When I'm trolling I am really taking the opportunity to learn the bottom structure of the lake on my fish finder. I am taking note of what depths I"m seeing fish, what kinds of areas and structures and trying to find active fish. When I do finally find a spot that is active I usually will pull in the trolling lines and drift it or drop anchor. It's better than just going from favorite spot to favorite spot to fish all day and hoping for bites. I've found that more often I can now find WHERE to fish instead of just hoping for good days.

TO got me started on trolling and I'll probably do another guide trip with him again this year. Maybe at Lake San Antonio to see if we can catch some of their pigs before I head up for 4th of July.

Give it a try, you'll find it's involved, it takes practice, and it's just another tool in the bag. It's not about exclusively fishing with one method and one method alone.

heydaad
04-23-2012, 06:49 AM
Trolling is just another way to fish. Growing up, my Grandad said trolling was for when it's too hot to walk the shore, and he was an avid fly-fisherman. My Dad loved trolling because he could drink beer and tell stories. I troll the ocean, and the lakes, but I still prefer to get up close and walk the creek or the shore. Trolling is still very good for beer and stories too, on a hot afternoon.

etucker1959
04-23-2012, 08:43 AM
I also felt that way about trolling Reaper but based off all the responses I want to try it at BBL but don' t even know where to start rod, reel, line, lure, knot, weight, leader, boat speed.... etc.

Big Bear is probably the best lake to learn how to troll, it's that good! A can't miss trolling set up at BBL is leadcore and needlefish. If you want more details, just ask I tell you everything I know.

tracker16
04-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Question is going to a lake like Irvine Lake lagit fishing.

Geraldlim
04-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Trolling the way I do it:
-Study the charts, pinpoint fishy looking underwater structure.
-Study wind to find likely areas to hold bait and thus pelagic predators
-work shade lines early and late in the day to target light sensitive predators like stripers
-Start working the chosen areas, be they underwater points and ridges, or bays and coves.
-Watch fishfinder to look for fish and the depths they are holding
-Watch GPS chartplotter constantly to monitor speed and navigate lure around the structure I am working
-Try different depths/lengths of leadcore and speeds to get lure into target zone (often near the bottom)
-Work all the zones - upper water column, mid, and bottom to see where fish are holding
-Work close to shore, further out, and way out to see where fish are holding
*jerk the fly, work it constantly to make lure shoot forward then suspend and sink slowly like an injured baitfish
-sweep rod periodically to make lure climb, then sink
-speed up and slow down boat in a straight line to make lure climb and sink
-make "S" turns and "V" turns to make lure slow down and speed up, climb and sink (all this in at the same time as jerking the line by hand)
-Reel in and let out leadcore, as well as change boat speed to keep lure in the strike zone as bottom topography/depth varies
-As soon as a fish is landed, re-set and blast back to area of hookup at speed while letting out the line again to try to keep contact with the school
-work all other similar areas and depths to where fish was caught
-pull up lines (sometimes 10 colors of it, 100 yards!) and move as quick as possible to the next structure; let out the line again
-Note direction of travel relative to structure and/or wind direction that gets bit more

I have yet to catch a single striper just putting the rod in a rod holder and driving around the lake blindly!
I actually got shoulder problems and tennis elbow from trolling and jerking that leadcore!
I am not sure it is a method applicable to to guide charters; probably not all clients would appreciate having to work that hard physically LOL.
But it is effective for me.

I agree that having a 100 yards of leadcore out can take some of the fight out from a striper.
But so does having a 100 yards of mono with all that stretch.
It's all fun.
The more I understand the water, the bait, the fish, and the technique (trolling), the more consistent I get.

Gerald

SierraPeaks
04-28-2012, 09:21 AM
I would say 70% of the quality fish I've caught in my life has been trolling. And like many have said here...there's a lot more to it than just throwing a lure on your line and dragging it behing a boat. If people don't like trollers...that's fine. We'll discuss it at the end of the day when they're cleaning their 1 pound DFG dinkers and us trollers are cleaning 5 -6 pound beauties. :)

cutbait
04-28-2012, 10:55 AM
IN THE BOAT IS IN THE BOAT!!!!!!!!!

Bottom line is it gratifies me a whole heck of a lot more when I'm unhooking a fish whethere it be bait, live bait, or trolling than any self important narcisistic, ego grandiosity I could get from knowing I stuck to "chucking artificals" all day "doing it the right way"

It was said best. Skunk busting>A stubborn fisherman

Hell I've been known to pitchfork em!!!!

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/2011-06-25_09-36-33_758-1.jpg
In the boat is in the boat!

shinbob
04-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Trolling the way I do it:
-Study the charts, pinpoint fishy looking underwater structure.
-Study wind to find likely areas to hold bait and thus pelagic predators
-work shade lines early and late in the day to target light sensitive predators like stripers
-Start working the chosen areas, be they underwater points and ridges, or bays and coves.
-Watch fishfinder to look for fish and the depths they are holding
-Watch GPS chartplotter constantly to monitor speed and navigate lure around the structure I am working
-Try different depths/lengths of leadcore and speeds to get lure into target zone (often near the bottom)
-Work all the zones - upper water column, mid, and bottom to see where fish are holding
-Work close to shore, further out, and way out to see where fish are holding
*jerk the fly, work it constantly to make lure shoot forward then suspend and sink slowly like an injured baitfish
-sweep rod periodically to make lure climb, then sink
-speed up and slow down boat in a straight line to make lure climb and sink
-make "S" turns and "V" turns to make lure slow down and speed up, climb and sink (all this in at the same time as jerking the line by hand)
-Reel in and let out leadcore, as well as change boat speed to keep lure in the strike zone as bottom topography/depth varies
-As soon as a fish is landed, re-set and blast back to area of hookup at speed while letting out the line again to try to keep contact with the school
-work all other similar areas and depths to where fish was caught
-pull up lines (sometimes 10 colors of it, 100 yards!) and move as quick as possible to the next structure; let out the line again
-Note direction of travel relative to structure and/or wind direction that gets bit more

I have yet to catch a single striper just putting the rod in a rod holder and driving around the lake blindly!
I actually got shoulder problems and tennis elbow from trolling and jerking that leadcore!
I am not sure it is a method applicable to to guide charters; probably not all clients would appreciate having to work that hard physically LOL.
But it is effective for me.

I agree that having a 100 yards of leadcore out can take some of the fight out from a striper.
But so does having a 100 yards of mono with all that stretch.
It's all fun.
The more I understand the water, the bait, the fish, and the technique (trolling), the more consistent I get.

Gerald

This is a great post and some great tips, Gerald!

You should definitely submit this as a "tip of the month" so it doesn't get lost in this stupid thread!

Sublime-Steve
04-29-2012, 06:03 AM
34859 did someone say troll?

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
04-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Lol idk, I know when you troll at the vine and your like 6-8 colors out, reeling in that much leadcore is hard work for a 3 pound trout xD

TroutOnly
05-03-2012, 08:49 AM
GET A DOWNRIGGER ,IF YOU DONT HAVE A BOAT THEY HAVE PORTABLES THAT WORK GREAT,THEN YOU GET TO TOSS THE LEADCORE RIGS INTO THE GARAGE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,

5150fishn
05-03-2012, 10:57 AM
So many styles of fishing.
Go trolling for Tuna and when your reel goes ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Then a 15 min battle with your arms burning.
Talk about a rush.

Trolling at the Vine = http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/BJ_BOBBI_JO9/BED%20and%20sleepy%20smileys/yawn.gif

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af168/dober_00/IMG_2098.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x310/neticsydney/med_gallery_1441_100_8401.jpg
DR
Caught at Irvine lake flatline on 4# test. Definatley not boring in my opinion. LOL!!! http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w416/5150fishn/Irvinelake2012WON001.jpg Just my :My Two Cents:

flytyingreloader
05-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Late on scene to this collision, but I do have a few points to make concerning some of the sanctimonious and snobbish claims made in this thread and others regarding the methods, tools, and baits used by others to pursue their fish.

My bottom line--if the course of conduct is within the limits and regulations set by the CA Fish & Game Code and CA Admin Code, it's none of my damn business how someone else goes after his/her fish. Nor is it any of your business how I pursue mine. If I'm in violation in some way, I'd appreciate a "heads up", but I study the regs pretty closely and strive to follow the letter of the law. I seldom fish with bait--bottled, frozen, or live. I do like fly fishing, but it's not the only method I use to do business. I keep few fish, and single barbless hooks are a feature of many of my lures and flies. But that's me, and I won't presume to inflict my angling catechism on others unless asked to do so. I only ask that others not belabor me with their orthodoxy and liturgy.

DrePSP
05-05-2012, 11:40 AM
nicely put flytyingreloader.
If trolling wasnt legit, it would not be allowed.
troutkilla mentioned down rigger. If some of you dont have the $ for that or dont want to buy lead core set up. try the dipsy diver, but its requires a heavier pole, I like to use the fish seeker (bass pro has them) also dont forget to use snubber on trout set ups.

DockRat
05-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Looking at Western Outdoor News this week and most of the BIG TOADS in the
'Whopper of the Week' were caught trolling,

The LMB ONLY shore crew that only fish one style needs to take off the blinders.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n607/Ruled_by_Neptune/horse.jpg

cutbait
05-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Looking at Western Outdoor News this week and most of the BIG TOADS in the
'Whopper of the Week' were caught trolling,

The LMB ONLY shore crew that only fish one style needs to take off the blinders.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n607/Ruled_by_Neptune/horse.jpg

Nah, letem be stubborn S.O.B's.... so they can sulk everytime a boat passes by with a hookup

stocker
07-19-2012, 07:17 PM
It's way more complicated than it seems--I used to think the same way. Hell, bait fishermen get the same scoff or worse from certain groups but until you've mastered it, then my hat is off to all sport fishermen irregardless of technique.

msa444
07-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Fishreaper, I cant' tell you how many times I have trolled at Big Bear and Silverwood and wound up with the skunk! Trolling at different depths etc. I have trolled past the bait and wait where they were having luck and persisted with my troll. When luck strikes it is well worth the effort and I see no difference in method. It's all fishing, not catching!

Trout Killa
11-20-2012, 09:52 AM
lets troll the vine Reaper

Surfnsnowboard3
11-20-2012, 12:04 PM

You really fish like that for trout from shore? Because EVERY shore fisherman I see fishing for trout casts their shark rod with 50 lb. test and a 5 oz. sinker out as far as they can hoping to hit a tuber and sits and waits....and waits...and waits. Then, when they get one on, reel it with no fight whatsoever (cuz of the 50 lb. test). Now I don't think THAT is fishing. What skill is there?

Ifishtoolittle
11-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Trolling is another form of fishing, and while it may not appear to be fishing to others, it is a very effective way to bag fish. Personally though I think it's a very boring way, and at times hectic, to fish as you are not really doing anything except for waiting and boat control. I'd rather grab a swimbait and chuck it all day long than troll. my 2 cents and then some.

fishreaper
11-20-2012, 01:29 PM
lets troll the vine Reaper

Never lmao

Prowler_Tuber
11-20-2012, 01:39 PM
There is a lot that goes in in trolling from lure selection, weather, boat speed etc etc, I think it is another was to attack fish.

flyhigh123
11-20-2012, 11:29 PM
trolling looks easy until you try it, and then when you do, you realize how hard it is...

fishinone
11-21-2012, 06:42 AM
Trolling is fishing. It's one of the tools available to us. Why would we choose not to use it?

If you get the chance to do it you'll find out that it's like any other fishing, knowledge makes or breaks it.

My boat uses a lot of fuel trolling. I still use trolling as way to survey the lake. It doesn't matter how you plan to fish, once you find active fish it will be better. Trolling is a great wayto find active fish.

Is bank fishing really fishing? I mean just sitting there in an easy chair waiting for a bell to ring? :-P I'll go- that if it's what is working.

When I spend my time fishing, I want to do it well. I'm willing to use the method that works, within the law.

I do , totally enjoy catching next to a purist who is catching skunk though. So feel free to stick to any method you like.