PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything i can do?

LuckyBasser
03-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Ok so I have a shimano cardiff that just recently has been giving me problems. I got it from a buddy of mine used, and it worked perfect for about a year. BUT the other day I hooked a very nice pig of a bass, and during the fight I wasn't getting anywhere, it felt like my drag was completely turned down. I turned it all the way up and was still getting no where. Lucky for me the fish swam towards me enough to use my thumb to make sure no more line was taken, and land the beauty, but I had to stop fishing and go home to check it out. I checked it (to the absolute best of my ability) and everything looked fine. So I'm coming to you fellow FNN'rs humbly to ask for some help. Is this something I can have fixed? Is it possible that I put greased where grease shouldn't be? Any info would be much appreciated! Thx and have a good day FNN.

Slick Rick
03-29-2012, 09:37 AM
IF you just serviced your reel before this happened... it's very possible you put the drag system back together wrong.

I'd open it up with schematic in hand an double check everything is in the correct order and orientation.

You could also take it to your local tackle shop and have them set you up for less than 20 bucks.

Dr. MindBendo
03-29-2012, 09:39 AM
It's best to have it serviced/repaired by Shimano if you're not comfortable taking your reel apart to find what the problem might be. Cardiff replace parts should not be too expensive. They'll re-lube, clean and grease the reel while they're in there also.

Armofisher818
03-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Did you grease the drag or get the drag in wet with water on it? Your suppose to grease the drag very lightly. Maybe you assembled the drag plates wrong, it's supposed to be the circular saw blade looking thing on the very bottom of the drive shaft, then the largest drag washer ( with the largest hole), then the main gear, inside the main gear it's one soft frog washer, then a hard one, then another soft one, then the "key" ( the drag washer that's metal and has two spikes sticking out of the sides that's support to fit in the main gear, a soft washer and the final washer ( final washer usually has some distinct finish like it being convex in the middle a bit like this http://www.pierfishing.com/resources/images/pro_gear_albacore_special_-_finally_something_nice_to_say/100_0167.jp see the very top one? Like that.) and there you have it now put it together in a nice stack with a bun one each side with some pickles, onions, and ketchup and you got urself a newly assembled reel with killer drag. Hope this solves ur problem it should

CraigH
03-29-2012, 10:31 AM
If you haven't recently serviced the reel, but have put new braid on it that could be the problem. Braid is slippery, and while it will feel like it's been reeled on tight it can slip under pressure if its not firmly attached to the arbor.

Dr. MindBendo
03-29-2012, 10:53 AM
If you haven't recently serviced the reel, but have put new braid on it that could be the problem. Braid is slippery, and while it will feel like it's been reeled on tight it can slip under pressure if its not firmly attached to the arbor.

Good call on the possible braided line issue.

Techtito
03-29-2012, 10:58 AM
I always carry one or two extra setup...just in case something goes wrong so I don't have to cut my fishing short... Take it to a shop...have it serviced...

LuckyBasser
03-29-2012, 11:56 AM
IF you just serviced your reel before this happened... it's very possible you put the drag system back together wrong.

I'd open it up with schematic in hand an double check everything is in the correct order and orientation.

You could also take it to your local tackle shop and have them set you up for less than 20 bucks. ya I didn't take it all the way apart, just opened it up and greased it a lil bit.

LuckyBasser
03-29-2012, 11:59 AM
If you haven't recently serviced the reel, but have put new braid on it that could be the problem. Braid is slippery, and while it will feel like it's been reeled on tight it can slip under pressure if its not firmly attached to the arbor. I use flouro for pretty much all my bass setups, mix between confidence in the line/not too much heavy cover.

LuckyBasser
03-29-2012, 12:01 PM
I always carry one or two extra setup...just in case something goes wrong so I don't have to cut my fishing short... Take it to a shop...have it serviced...
I usually do, but on this day it was more of a quick walk around the lake, not a hardcore session. I was actually on the way back to the car, otherwise I woulda just grabbed my low profile Okuma out of the car.

LuckyBasser
03-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Ok called my buddy that I got it from and we decided its the dry washers. I just took it back apart and played with it for a lil bit, cleaned it up, and put it back together. It seems to be working a lot better now. I'm gonna give it a shot this evening. Thx for all the feedback guys I appreciate it.