PDA

View Full Version : Some Old School Gear - Is it worth much?

Fish Dog
03-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Well, I got into fishing many years ago (longer ago then many here have been alive) and, as a young, dumb and single guy, I was able to buy a bunch of gear. I just don't hit the party boats like I used to for a few reasons:

#1. Fishing usually sucks any more (yeah, there's exceptions but not like the "good old days" when we could score yellowtail consistently on 1/2 day boats and a limit of slimes was the usual). I'm just not into catching sand dabs and 8 to 10 inch rock cod.

#2. $$$$$ - Yikes!!! I used to go on private charters for $65 for an albacore trip. The islands, $55. I can't see putting out $125 to $185 for the same trips now, maybe if the fishing was the same as it used to be, but that price for sand dabs, mini rock cod, etc (most of the time)....no.

#3. I have lots of gear. In them afore mentioned "good old days" I used to carry a dozen or more rods onto the boat along with a jig box that weighed 103 pounds (I weighed it once). I really only need to keep maybe 4 or 5 of them to cover all that I might need for any party boat / charter trip I might still go on in the future. I figure all I really need is 1 trolling rod, 1 jig rod, light bait rod, medium bait rod and maybe a light "plastics" rod (for throwing big hammers etc.).

Anyway, most of the rods I'm thinking about selling are old school Sabre and Trueline rods, custom wrapped (by me), most without reel seats (I clamp the reels on with Newell clamps clamped to cork tape) and fuji guides all in pretty good shape, most of them re-wrapped about 5 years ago with 0 to maybe a max of 3 trips on them since then. The reels are mostly Penn 500's, 4/0's & 6/0's all with Newell spools, bars and bases. Also, I have lots of old iron; Salas, Tadys (both the regular jig type and the flat spoon types), and others (I can't think of the brand names off the top of my head right now). I'll probably pick through these and pull out my favorites and sell the other half.

Anyway, being that everybody now-a-days wants $200 - $400 Accurate, Avet, Tiburon and Okuma reels what do ya'all think I could get out of my old school stuff that I'm betting would still catch fish as good as any of the afore mentioned "fancy" reels, or should I just keep the stuff 'cause I won't get that much for them?

Which Way Out
03-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Fish Dog its a rough road.
I tried selling a Penn 50 S two-speed with a Playa de Rey Sea Stalker rod, 7 footer with all the rollers and seat made by Aftco. Finely sold it to a guy in Texas on E-bay for 1/2 the org. cost.

Some guys still like the old school stuff. Squider reels seem to have a cult following. Just need to decide what you want for your stuff, otherwise they just sit there another year.

The irons will sell. Just need some responses to this post. Who knows, if you sell a bunch of stuff you can reinvest it into a 5 day trip.

Good luck. As for me I don't need anymore, thank you.
WWO

DockRat
03-29-2012, 05:35 AM
You can go on ebay and type in Penn 500 (example) and see what they are going for.
Sort the auction by highest priced first. I like the 146 and 501 but just upgraded to a couple Toriums.
Now I got a box of dozen old reels too. Lol.
DR

calcutta and butts
03-29-2012, 01:27 PM
The old stuff can be hit or miss. there are a lot of guys out there that still fish it and it has a following. The trulines tend to be more of a collectors item and should sell pretty quickly depending on what they are