PDA

View Full Version : Rpt-Wed-03-28-12 Bass and Rockfish.

Tunaslam
03-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Fishing Wed. 3-28-12, with Lal on his 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky”. We launched out of Davies in Long Beach at 5:30 am, our beginning destination being Izor’s Reef. It was the first time we ever pulled into the lot at Davies when there were no other trailers or boats? A total ghost town. There was little wind, with a beginning breeze out of the North East. As we exited the Harbor, the seas were calm, with only a small swell. It was a pleasant ride out Reef, except for the nip in the air. It was still dark as off in the distance the faintest sense of grey was appearing.

Lal set us up on the upper portion of the Reef. During our first drift the direction was uphill and took us off the pinnacles intended. On our second pass, Lal was first to get bit, landing a 2.5 pound Sand Bass. Not a minute later I am bit, some good head thumps, and up comes a 3 pound Sand Bass:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Lal-Bass-03-28-12/100_1989640x480.jpg

After a couple more drifts, Lal pulled in four more Sandies between 1.5 and 2 pounds. I couldn’t catch a cold, unless you count the numerous hook ups on Granite Groupers, which kept taking my lead heads. It seemed like every time Lal hooked a fish, I was tying on a new plastic. Having worn out our welcome on this end of the Reef, we moved down to the lower end. Lal caught a few more Sand Bass and miraculously I added number 2 to my count, all 2 pounds or under and all released.

After three hours drifting over promising structure, loaded with bait and plenty of fish, we had a total of 9 Sand Bass to show for our efforts. An hour after low tide Lal elected to head north and give the Horseshoe a try. Several weeks ago we caught four Reds and a short Lingcod in this area, yet no one was home today. Water temps at Izor’s reached a high of 56 degrees. We found 57 degree water here. Later in the day we found some 58 degree cleaner water. There was quite a difference in the two areas, as Izor’s had a ripping current, while at the Horseshoe, there was virtually no current. Winds were still quite calm, with no general direction.

Lal elected to head out to deeper water, observing four or five Sport Boats 3-4 miles further west of us. Stopped by and said hi to Japan Ron on the Victory. Their morning was a little slow as well.

We spent some time exploring, and found a few Rocks to fish. Lal caught this nice Cabazon on one:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Lal-Bass-03-28-12/100_1991640x480.jpg

Lal caught a Sculpin and I continued my day as a no show, although I did come up with a pair of Sand Dabs on one drift.

We moved into another area on the west end of the Horse Shoe and again marked a number of Rocks, and most marked fish on them, although you couldn’t tell by our lack of hook ups. We figured these new areas could be productive in the summer with perhaps a school of Calico Bass as the water warmed up. On one of the Rocks Lal got hammered on the drop, and pulled in this 4 pound Sheephead:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Lal-Bass-03-28-12/100_1993640x480.jpg

That was it on the catching and we called it a day at 1:30pm. The wind was now capping a little, with very small popcorn off in the distance. All fish were released to fight another day.

Thanks Lal, another adventure on the Ducky, although I’ll have to file this away in the archives, with no memory bank!

Hope I got this kind of day out of my system as I am looking forward to this weekend’s scheduled 1.5 day trip on the Aztec out of Seaforth Landing. I understand a few more anglers are needed to make it a go. Looking forward to meeting some new folks on the trip.

Hook up! Cory

DockRat
03-29-2012, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the report Cory, should be warming up soon.
DR

murrieta angler
03-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Nice report Cory,
Good luck on the Aztec.
Get some huge reds and lings.....a Yellow wouldn't be bad either : )
Robert
<><