PDA

View Full Version : You people make me sick

bachiboy
03-28-2012, 03:48 PM
...and I mean that in the best possible way.

Sorry this is such a long story, but thought I’d give you the history. For those of you who don’t like to read long stories...short version: Went out before work, got my first LC butt.

Okay...long version.

I’ve been surf fishing just about all my life...40+ years. I’ve gone through the bucket brigade routine with 4-8 oz. pyramid sinkers to carolina rigging grubs on trout/bass gear to the crack addiction...now to the freakin’ LC addiction that you FNNer’s have gotten me hooked on. Yes, I have a disease.

I’m a tuna chaser at heart but with the birth of my son a couple of years ago, getting on boats gets a little hard. Surf fishing has always been a quick “fix” for me. Last summer, a couple of friends tipped me off to FNN. I’ve caught more than my fair share of fish of all types from the surf, but never got into the LC.

So, on with the cause of my illness. I work in graphics, and when I hit a save on a file, it can take up to 45 min. to an hour for the file to save. I can’t work while a file is saving, so what else is there to do...I start reading all of your damned posts! When my friends, who got me into this site, started ranting about LC’s and butt chasing in the surf, I thought they were a little desperate. Well, my butt got hooked. The symptoms start setting in...I buy a couple of LCs, try them out on a older flipping stick and reel from my years of fighting a bout of largemouth bassitis. I catch a couple of nice BSPs with the LC to really get the illness set in. The gear doesn’t feel right and I dive into a new Curado 300 and a 8’6” Clarus (I use the excuse on my wife that our son can use the 300 on albies when he gets old enough to go overnighting with pops:Secret:). I start buying more LCs and start customizing them. This is all before I’ve even hooked a butt on an LC. My collection grew to over 2 dozen.

Then I hit a detox stretch during a spell in February when work started to pick up and I couldn’t get a break in the schedule. By this time I’ve read all the recent posts and started going back and reading all of the past posts from the oldest till where I’ve left off, page 73 (sorry you didn’t make it past the 2nd round of the WSOP Wingnut :Wink:). So, I feel very symptomatic lately and was thinking of going out this past weekend. My kid and my wife decide to play sick and fake a couple of fevers to prevent me from leaving them...damn them. JK...they were sick. I then get to read about Bones doing a 41”er. I’ve had it! I’m going into full on withdrawals. Work is sucking eggs and, at the very least, I need to get the damned new rod and reel wet that has been sitting in the garage for the last month and a half.

So, I get over to my parents early to drop off my kid yesterday and head to the beach to get an hour in before work. I head to a local spot and spend an hour for no bites, but at least I’ve cast the rod and reel and got a line wet. The rod and reel feel awesome compared to the antique FW gear I tried to use.

This morning my son gets up a little early so I figured what the heck. I’ll drop him at grandma’s early and hit the beach again. I’m hitting a few holes and fan casting the area. After about twenty minutes of nothing I start walking up the beach to a fair spot I see. Out in front of me is pretty shallow with a long trench right along the shoreline. Now I know perch hit right at the surf’s retreat line, but didn’t think much else might be hanging there. I figure, “well, it woulda been a nice spot if the tide were up a bit more. I toss a cast parallel to shore for the heck of it while I’m walking...nothing. Second cast is just a short toss, maybe 15 yards and sure enough...BAM. Game on. At first I’m thinking WSB (white sea bag), then I feel the head shakes. I feel like the guy in the movie THE THING when he sees the spider/head crawling on the floor, and said the same words...”You’ve gotta be [blank]ing kidding me”. :LOL: My first LC butt, close to legal, 3-5 from shore, a little over a half hour of fishing. I took pictures and set it free. Put my shoe in the picture, and putting my photoshop background to use, dropped in a tape measure in to see if it was a legal. It came out to 21’, based on the 13” boot. Not a bad first LC butt. I’ve caught my fair share of hali’s from boat and surf, so I wasn’t jumping up and down like a little school girl, but it was pretty cool.

I guess this comes down to two things. I got hooked because, one, I don’t have much time for anything else fishing related...and two, it’s about a new challenge. Thanks all of you for the info I’ve gathered over the past few months. I guess admitting the disease is the first step towards recovery...

[Blank] that!!!! This is game ON!!!!!:Twisted:

Enjoy the pict’s

Here's the custom LC I used

Here's a couple of pictures of my son (18 mos) catching his first BSP...addict in training.

SP Dan
03-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Hi ya bachiboy,

WARNING!! "This is extremely catchy"! Oh...Man!!!....You've got it bad!....A bad case of the "Hali-tosis"!! :EyePop:
A temporary cure: sell all of your equipment now.....and never look back! "shake...quiver...shake...oh the withdrawls":Rain:

OR....do like the rest of us and admit that you are a "Hali-holic", and learn to live with it like the rest of us! :LOL:
Tell you what!....go down to the beach tonight and make two casts followed with slow retrieves...and then call me in the morning! :Wink:
If you don't feel better....repeat as much as necessary in order to control the angzioty!

Kidding aside...."CONGRATULATIONS"....on your first Hali from the sand on the LC lure! :Dancing Banana:
You hung in there and persevered....landing your set target fish, a new species and a skunk buster! WTG! :Thumbs Up:

Thank you for the extremely fun read with pic's! :Cool:

PS...I luv the pix's of your son on the beach with you....priceless!

SP Dan <"))><

Which Way Out
03-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Like Dan said so well above.

But I also look at fishing as a Tropical Decease, once it's in your blood you can't get rid of it. There's no reason to fight it, admit to everyone you have contacted it and it is contagious. And from the look on you kids face, well he's caught it already.

Thanks for the entertaining story. Can't wait to see how the summer works out for you.
WWO

iLLest
03-28-2012, 11:30 PM
awesome stuff!
congrats on the shortie.
It's an addiction for sure bro, you are now officially hooked!
glad you managed to pull something in with the LC.

DockRat
03-29-2012, 05:25 AM
Do you play Bachi Ball ?
Just don't forget how to make bait.
Looks like someone is ready for a 5' rod ?
DR

murrieta angler
03-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Nice report,
You now know how to scratch the itch, so get out there and do it again.
Cute Kid : )
Robert
<><

bachiboy
03-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks guys. The kid's pretty awesome. He's got the bug for sure...always wants to play with my fishing gear, and loves the water and fish. Looks like my "bait and wait" days aren't completely behind me. :Wink:

Quick tip for the dads out there...those light up reels are awesome for training them to turn the handle.

Feed the addiction...

bachiboy
03-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Do you play Bachi Ball ?
Just don't forget how to make bait.
Looks like someone is ready for a 5' rod ?
DR

BTW...Bachi is slang in Japanese for bad karma. A name I used to use gaming (Quake) once upon a way back when...heheh.

Wingnut
03-29-2012, 10:08 AM
First of all, I really enjoyed your report. Always give us the "long" version please. :Thumbs Up:
Secondly, welcome to the addiction and the new revolution in surf fishing. :Big Grin:

Congrats on your first LC surf Halibut, I'm happy to hear that it didn't turn out to be a White Sea Bag, lol. I'm sure we will be seeing a report from you with a legal sometime soon. :Wink:

Enjoy the surf with your little fishing partner... that is priceless. :Cool:

flyngby
03-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Sorry for contributindg to your illness!

Well done on the LC fish! More important is the time spent with the little one! :Thumbs Up:

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/ClearRed.jpg

jerryG
04-01-2012, 04:53 AM
...and I mean that in the best possible way.

Sorry this is such a long story, but thought I’d give you the history. For those of you who don’t like to read long stories...short version: Went out before work, got my first LC butt.

Okay...long version.

I’ve been surf fishing just about all my life...40+ years. I’ve gone through the bucket brigade routine with 4-8 oz. pyramid sinkers to carolina rigging grubs on trout/bass gear to the crack addiction...now to the freakin’ LC addiction that you FNNer’s have gotten me hooked on. Yes, I have a disease.

I’m a tuna chaser at heart but with the birth of my son a couple of years ago, getting on boats gets a little hard. Surf fishing has always been a quick “fix” for me. Last summer, a couple of friends tipped me off to FNN. I’ve caught more than my fair share of fish of all types from the surf, but never got into the LC.

So, on with the cause of my illness. I work in graphics, and when I hit a save on a file, it can take up to 45 min. to an hour for the file to save. I can’t work while a file is saving, so what else is there to do...I start reading all of your damned posts! When my friends, who got me into this site, started ranting about LC’s and butt chasing in the surf, I thought they were a little desperate. Well, my butt got hooked. The symptoms start setting in...I buy a couple of LCs, try them out on a older flipping stick and reel from my years of fighting a bout of largemouth bassitis. I catch a couple of nice BSPs with the LC to really get the illness set in. The gear doesn’t feel right and I dive into a new Curado 300 and a 8’6” Clarus (I use the excuse on my wife that our son can use the 300 on albies when he gets old enough to go overnighting with pops:Secret:). I start buying more LCs and start customizing them. This is all before I’ve even hooked a butt on an LC. My collection grew to over 2 dozen.

Then I hit a detox stretch during a spell in February when work started to pick up and I couldn’t get a break in the schedule. By this time I’ve read all the recent posts and started going back and reading all of the past posts from the oldest till where I’ve left off, page 73 (sorry you didn’t make it past the 2nd round of the WSOP Wingnut :Wink:). So, I feel very symptomatic lately and was thinking of going out this past weekend. My kid and my wife decide to play sick and fake a couple of fevers to prevent me from leaving them...damn them. JK...they were sick. I then get to read about Bones doing a 41”er. I’ve had it! I’m going into full on withdrawals. Work is sucking eggs and, at the very least, I need to get the damned new rod and reel wet that has been sitting in the garage for the last month and a half.

So, I get over to my parents early to drop off my kid yesterday and head to the beach to get an hour in before work. I head to a local spot and spend an hour for no bites, but at least I’ve cast the rod and reel and got a line wet. The rod and reel feel awesome compared to the antique FW gear I tried to use.

This morning my son gets up a little early so I figured what the heck. I’ll drop him at grandma’s early and hit the beach again. I’m hitting a few holes and fan casting the area. After about twenty minutes of nothing I start walking up the beach to a fair spot I see. Out in front of me is pretty shallow with a long trench right along the shoreline. Now I know perch hit right at the surf’s retreat line, but didn’t think much else might be hanging there. I figure, “well, it woulda been a nice spot if the tide were up a bit more. I toss a cast parallel to shore for the heck of it while I’m walking...nothing. Second cast is just a short toss, maybe 15 yards and sure enough...BAM. Game on. At first I’m thinking WSB (white sea bag), then I feel the head shakes. I feel like the guy in the movie THE THING when he sees the spider/head crawling on the floor, and said the same words...”You’ve gotta be [blank]ing kidding me”. :LOL: My first LC butt, close to legal, 3-5 from shore, a little over a half hour of fishing. I took pictures and set it free. Put my shoe in the picture, and putting my photoshop background to use, dropped in a tape measure in to see if it was a legal. It came out to 21’, based on the 13” boot. Not a bad first LC butt. I’ve caught my fair share of hali’s from boat and surf, so I wasn’t jumping up and down like a little school girl, but it was pretty cool.

I guess this comes down to two things. I got hooked because, one, I don’t have much time for anything else fishing related...and two, it’s about a new challenge. Thanks all of you for the info I’ve gathered over the past few months. I guess admitting the disease is the first step towards recovery...

[Blank] that!!!! This is game ON!!!!!:Twisted:

Enjoy the pict’s

Here's the custom LC I used

Here's a couple of pictures of my son (18 mos) catching his first BSP...addict in training.

Great Report.. Thanks for Sharing. Bachiboy (Don right?) I may be mistaken but I think we have some mutual friends. If so we have hung a few times at our buddy Ben's house with Shoj, Kozo, Jay, Stan, and others. I've known Ben and Shoji for over 20 years. Ben was my Best Man at my wedding . I know you must have done a lot of offshore fishing. I use to (and still do) love fishing offshore myself but after the boys were born my days fishing offshore have been very limited to say the least. I have fished the surf since my childhood as well and always liked fishing the surf but I definitely got more in to it after I caught the LC bug. I found out about it early on when most surf anglers had never heard of Lucky Craft but word spread fast and the rest history. I'm heading out to fish right now but I'll shoot you a PM later..

JerryG

bachiboy
04-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Heheh...yea it's me. You let Ben be your best man? JK...great guy. Too bad we all don't have his kinda clearance to catch bass in his spot eh?

Talk to you soon...
Don

Great Report.. Thanks for Sharing. Bachiboy (Don right?) I may be mistaken but I think we have some mutual friends. If so we have hung a few times at our buddy Ben's house with Shoj, Kozo, Jay, Stan, and others. I've known Ben and Shoji for over 20 years. Ben was my Best Man at my wedding . I know you must have done a lot of offshore fishing. I use to (and still do) love fishing offshore myself but after the boys were born my days fishing offshore have been very limited to say the least. I have fished the surf since my childhood as well and always liked fishing the surf but I definitely got more in to it after I caught the LC bug. I found out about it early on when most surf anglers had never heard of Lucky Craft but word spread fast and the rest history. I'm heading out to fish right now but I'll shoot you a PM later..

JerryG