PDA

View Full Version : Fishing for stocked trout

fishfinder
03-27-2012, 10:20 PM
When bait fishing for stockers, I will sometimes put some of the trout feed (from the fish hatchery) in the powerbait to strike a bite.

FKNChristopH
03-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Is this a question? I used to use trout feed to get them to come near me, then I'd use a mini jig once the school was near..

Which Way Out
03-28-2012, 09:23 AM
I never have used the trout feed, but I have grabbed a handful of small gravel and scattered it across the water like the feeders do at the grow out pens. Sometimes that will get them in the mood.

I also found that stocker trout would go for my split shot instead of the hook. Been thinking why not slide the split shot all the way down to the hook with no bait. Looks like what they have been eating all their life. Pretty sure that will work as well.
WWO

fishfinder
03-28-2012, 03:52 PM
I never have used the trout feed, but I have grabbed a handful of small gravel and scattered it across the water like the feeders do at the grow out pens. Sometimes that will get them in the mood.

I also found that stocker trout would go for my split shot instead of the hook. Been thinking why not slide the split shot all the way down to the hook with no bait. Looks like what they have been eating all their life. Pretty sure that will work as well.
WWO
i have used the gravel to try to fool them into thinking it was dinner time at the hatchery also. got the idea from my kids about 10 years ago. took them to apollo park and they were throwing gravel into the lake, and it started a bite that had been non-exsistant all morning. I was wondering if this could be misconstrued as chumming.

ttplt
03-28-2012, 04:05 PM
I think Power Bait makes a hatchery nugget already!

ShoreTrouter
03-28-2012, 06:58 PM
When bait fishing for stockers, I will sometimes put some of the trout feed (from the fish hatchery) in the powerbait to strike a bite.

Do you grind the trout feed then mix it in? I like to texture the surface of my power bait to disperse more of its scent. The stuff is so tough hardly ever falls off the hook so I always poke holes or anything to increase its surface area.

sandtrout
04-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Where do you get the trout food? I've put the quarters in the machine at the hatchery but never just had the pellets on hand.