PDA

View Full Version : SWAT... tossin back midgets 3/24 + extras

midgettosser1
03-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Finally had some time to fish this weekend so I grabbed my new set up (crucial/253 luna), a pocketful of LCs and hit the surf at grey light.

Incoming high tide (low was ~6am or so)
Overcast skies
1-2 foot waves
Started off at Wingnuts rock at ~6:30 am and worked my way about a half mile up the beach with the candy sardine for no love. Tied on the barred surfperch pattern and started working my way back to the car. About halfway back I stumble into a school of leopards doing their thing in the skinny. Mostly smaller models, with a couple 4 footers in the mix. Watched them for a bit, took some vids, then walked out past them and continued casting. Managed a small cab for my efforts.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/HTB/cab.jpg

Continued working my way back for no more love at this spot.
Decided to head further south for once in search of some new spots (thanks MLPA).
Made a couple of stops along PCH, only fished one area and was rewarded with a snagged walleye perch. Shook him off, hopped back in the car and continued south.

At this point it was around 11am and the sun was starting to come out. Made one last stop that looked good, grabbed my gear and headed down to the water. As soon as I got down there I saw what must have been 100 small leos in the shallows. It was incredible. Unfortunately I wasn't able to capture just how many of them there were using my camera either in picture or video mode, but a did manage a short clip of a few of them. Took the vid thru my amber/polarized sunglass lens....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMdJ2a_1rPQ&feature=youtu.be

Made one cast out in the mix of leopards hoping to get a bite. Did a really slow retrieve hoping to get bit, but only managed to lightly hook one in the tail. Didn't bother setting the hook, but just let the shark shake it loose on its own. I swear it didn't even notice.

Moved my way up the beach about a ways and finally got my second bite of the day. At first it just felt like a snagged a plastic bag or kelp or something since it there was no noticeable strike and all I felt was light tension on the other end... but then... headshakes. Ah finally. First hali of the year. Short, but better than nothing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/HTB/hali-1.jpg

Kept working the beach for another half hour or so and decided to call it quits around 12:45.
Long session for only a couple of fish. But being outside enjoying the weather beats sitting inside watching tv. Gotta thank whoever it was in an older post that recommended the lifeproof iphone case to another member. I took advantage of a cash deal on one at the Fred Hall show. So nice to have a waterproof phone case with a waterproof headphone jack so that my music could keep me company.

Extra shots....

Worked a new stretch of beach a couple of weeks ago for a little BSP.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/HTB/perch.jpg

During that session I stumbled across this little guy.....
common murre
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/HTB/murre.jpg

His feathers had some oil/tar on them, and he obviously wasn't feelin so hot since he wasn't trying to hard to get away from me. Seemed pretty low on energy and definitely unable to fly. Tossed my jacket over him, scooped him up, and dropped him off at an animal rescue. It seemed pretty content on the walk back to the car, cuz it was just staring at me, and every now and then would peck at the zipper on my waders.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/HTB/murre2.jpg

extra extra shots....
Was invited to do some steelheading up on the Trinity River over MLK weekend. Fished our asses off, and I managed 1 fish per day.
Day1: Small hatchery steelie
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/HTB/hatchery.jpg

Day2: Nice wild steelie... went all day with nothing, then caught this right before dark. Unfortunately my camera was on the wrong setting. And it was my PB too. Damn.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/HTB/wild.jpg

Day3: Chunky brown
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/HTB/brown.jpg

All fish (including Steelhead) were released to grow up.

iLLest
03-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Nice going bro.
The vid of the leopards is pretty cool. I've never seen that before, I can imagine how many there was just chillin in the surf.
Interested to see a Cabby being pulled from that spot, something you dont see every day.
Nice steelies bro!
Kudos on playing savior on the bird too, karma my friend, karma. :Cool:

Which Way Out
03-26-2012, 11:26 PM
So that's how you got the name, it's a good one.

Thanks for sharing the photos. And I hope your little bird buddy gets better.
WWO

sidified
03-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks for posting up an excellent report...with 'vidleo' no less...I like the trick with the polarization...and congrats on your first 2012 halibut...may you have soooo many more...
Sid

DockRat
03-27-2012, 06:49 AM
Nice video. There is a MDR similar video last year.
That Malibu to Sunset area always seems to produce Cabs ?
Great Trinity pics too.
DR

SP Dan
03-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Hi ya midgettosser1,

I was the person that recommended the lifeproof iphone case from the FH Show, but I went a step further....I put an additional screen saver over it's plastic touch screen...the touch screen works perfectly with the added protection...and then I carry it in a zip-lock snack bag while it's in my fishing jacket pocket to keep the sand off it...and the touch screen still functions great! I just wish that they were buoyant! :Wink:
I learned about putting additional screen savers on after I had seriously scratched (destroyed) the LCD lens on my new $300+ underwater camera :EyePop: by placing it in my fishing jacket pocket! The sand chewed it up really fast, just two sessions!
(again...wingnut was to my rescue)!

Congrat's on your first Hali for the 2012 season! Waters will be warming up soon and I'm anticipating a remarkable season!
I don't know about you....but I get a bit nervous when the Leo's continue to bump into my waders....great video!

Mike...that was a very humane thing you did.....scooping up the common murre and taking it down to the animal rescue site for clean up and CPR! WTG!!
Brotha..."definitely"... good things are going to come your way with your good deeds and your good karma!
Poseidon could possibly be waiting on the back side of a nice boiler rock with a nice fat "legal" Hali for your good deeds!

Thank you for the excellent read with pic's and video! :Cool:
I hope to hook up with you on the 1st!

SP Dan <"))><

bloox8
03-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Congrats on the first halibut of the year! Seems like the butt action is going to be pretty good this year!

The clip of the leos was pretty crazy lol. I wish I was there to experience it.

Thien

bones
03-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Awesome Write up there Mike. So our SWAT Itallion Stallion hit's the sand and proves that recon is the way to go this time of year. The bite is improving up and down the coast but there is an instability right now since we are in transition between winter and spring. Even the swells will start hitting us from the south rather than the north. It all spells instability but if you remain diligent and are willing to move until you "Find Them" so to speak......you will put them on the sand and your write up proves that!
One reason I really like this report is the bird rescue. Not alot of individuals would have went the extra mile to take care of that bird like you did Mike and I'm proud of you. I actually have a few rescue numbers in my phone as well and have it in a waterproof case and always carry it with me on the sand.. I've called a few times to alert the marine wildlife rescue group to come to the aid of seals in various stages of distress. Arthur and I have caught various sea birds wrapped up in old mono and un wrapped them and sent them on their way.It's called compassion for an animal that has suffered some kind of life endangering situation at the direct or indirect hand of humanity. Watching any animal suffer is probably one of the hardest things to watch and you proved that with a little of self sacrafice.......The outcome can be changed with a little compassion. I tip my hat to you my friend.
Congrats on the Halibut OF COURSE....LOL
I'm kinda wondering if that Leo spot is the same spot you and I talked about a while back. You know.......The spot where you go under a fence line and the wedge break and big rocky section is to the right. I went down there a few weeks back and found alot of Leos stacked up right between me and the kelp/rocks. It was SICK. I put a ton of smelly jelly on my hardbait and tried dead sticking my bait and slow rolling it through them for a fair hit but none of them would commit. They are in breeding mode right now but in a few more weeks the females will be pregnant and the leos will seek warmer water in order to speed up their gestation. As their babies grow their need for nutrition will double and that's when alot of guys will start getting fair hits on varioius artificials.Only a small amount of cold blooded fish give live birth....Perch are another fine example.
Thanks for sharing your adventure over the last few months with us and great to see you diversify into the FW with the Fly Fishing........Awesome Feeeeeeesh bro!

blackwater
03-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Bird savior! Very cool of you man. :Cool:
Nice Cabbie and Halibut.

midgettosser1
03-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Wow, how did I not see this multiple quote option before? Up til now I always did this the old fashioned way. Oops.

Nice going bro.
The vid of the leopards is pretty cool. I've never seen that before, I can imagine how many there was just chillin in the surf.
Interested to see a Cabby being pulled from that spot, something you dont see every day.
Nice steelies bro!

Thanks Frank.
You making it on Sunday?

So that's how you got the name, it's a good one.

Thanks for sharing the photos. And I hope your little bird buddy gets better.
WWO

Haha. It had more to do with the lost art of midget tossing that I was so fascinated with back in the day. But I think it does make for a good term in the fishing sense as well.

Thanks for posting up an excellent report...with 'vidleo' no less...I like the trick with the polarization...and congrats on your first 2012 halibut...may you have soooo many more...
Sid

Thanks Sid. Yah, the polarized lens definitely helps capture some decent shots of fish underwater when using regular point and shoot cameras that dont have the option of screw on filters.

Nice video. There is a MDR similar video last year.
That Malibu to Sunset area always seems to produce Cabs ?
Great Trinity pics too.
DR

Thanks. Yah, they are out there. This is my 3rd so far. No size to them yet... but maybe some day.

Hi ya midgettosser1,

I was the person that recommended the lifeproof iphone case from the FH Show, but I went a step further....I put an additional screen saver over it's plastic touch screen... I just wish that they were buoyant!
I don't know about you....but I get a bit nervous when the Leo's continue to bump into my waders....great video!
I hope to hook up with you on the 1st!

SP Dan <"))><

Hey Dan. Thanks again for mentioning the case. I will have to follow suit and put a screen saver over the plastic touch screen. It does seem like it would scratch pretty easy. I have a felt, zippered pocket on my waders that I should probably keep the phone in. It was just under a velcro flap pocket when I used it. I didnt think about the repercussions of getting hammered by a wave and losing it in the surf. Fortunately the waves were fairly nonexistant this weekend. The picture quality is pretty good thru the case too. I took the cab pic with it.
Once I get my gopro, I'm gonna have to find a way to strap it to my leg next time I'm walking amongst the leopards. When they are that thick its funny how many of them will accidently run into you. Would make for a cool perspective on the next vid.
I will be out there with you guys on the AM on the first. Unfortunately I school work looks like its going to be taking up my afternoon.

Congrats on the first halibut of the year! Seems like the butt action is going to be pretty good this year!

The clip of the leos was pretty crazy lol. I wish I was there to experience it.

Thien

Yah, I just wish I was able to capture just how many were out there. It was nothing like I've ever seen before.

Awesome Write up there Mike. So our SWAT Itallion Stallion hit's the sand and proves that recon is the way to go this time of year. The bite is improving up and down the coast but there is an instability right now since we are in transition between winter and spring.
One reason I really like this report is the bird rescue. Not alot of individuals would have went the extra mile to take care of that bird like you did Mike and I'm proud of you. I actually have a few rescue numbers in my phone as well......I tip my hat to you my friend.
Congrats on the Halibut OF COURSE....LOL
I'm kinda wondering if that Leo spot is the same spot you and I talked about a while back. You know.......The spot where you go under a fence line and the wedge break and big rocky section is to the right. I went down there a few weeks back and found alot of Leos stacked up right between me and the kelp/rocks.
Only a small amount of cold blooded fish give live birth....Perch are another fine example.
Thanks for sharing your adventure over the last few months with us and great to see you diversify into the FW with the Fly Fishing........Awesome Feeeeeeesh bro!

Haha. Yah I've been back at it a bit lately. Last year was pretty depressing for the malibu scene for me. So its been a bit discouraging to say the least. But hopefully this year brings more quality fish. The Leo spot wasn't the same place you were thinking. But I could picture how stacked up they would be over there as well since it doesnt get a lot of public foot traffic. Funny thing about that place that I didnt notice the first couple of times I went... theres actually a walkway to the left of that gate, so you don't have to maneuver your gear under the fence. Oops.
And yes, gotta love our ovoviviparous fish friends. Nothing like experiencing the miracle of live birth in the palm of your hands. Hahaaa.
I may have to get some of those rescue numbers from you. Fortunately I was able to find the rescue station by doing a google search on my phone. But it would be nice to have the numbers handy.

Bird savior! Very cool of you man. :Cool:
Nice Cabbie and Halibut.

Thank you sir. Just trying to do my part.

klocked
03-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Nice job on all the fish Mike and it was cool to read that you saved the bird!

Wingnut
03-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Kudos for taking the time to help that bird Mike. :Thumbs Up: Compassion is a natural S.W.A.T. trait. :Cool:
Nice recon mission, I have a feeling you're going to do very well out there this year. :Big Grin:
See you Sunday at the S.W.A.T. convention. :Wink:

n1ckxlam
03-27-2012, 06:23 PM
nice cabby! seriously bro, those are some nice fish on the fly. must have been gorgeous!

murrieta angler
03-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Hey Mike,
Sweet looking lil cabbie..:Smile:
That is one of the fish on my, "Need To Catch" list.
Very nice shots of the trout as well.
My buddy sent me some pics of that gam of leo's over in mailbu...CRAZY NUMBERS!!! :EyePop:
Poor little bird looked pooped out...:Sad:
I commend you on the save...:Wink:
See You Sunday Bro,
Robert
<><

Jaysuuun
03-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Neat little video of those leos. Wish I could witness something like that and take some footage with my waterproof cam.

Cool freshwater report. I'm clueless when it comes to freshwater fishing.

midgettosser1
03-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks guys. Looks like I will be seeing you all on Sunday.

Neat little video of those leos. Wish I could witness something like that and take some footage with my waterproof cam.

Cool freshwater report. I'm clueless when it comes to freshwater fishing.

Yah, I'm going to try and spend a little more time trying to get some underwater shots next time. I tried it a couple of times on saturday.... unfortunately, with the leos so close up to the shore it was just too cloudy with all the sand moving around. Plus they spooked real easy. I was hoping one would come bump into the camera while it was under (just like they were bumping into my legs), but no such luck.

flyngby
03-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Mike,

Great to see you out on the prowl again! Nice variety and great vid of the LEO's.

Enven more cudo's on taking the time to help a fellow angler get some much needed health checkup!!!!

See you on Sunday!

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/Chovy.jpg

PONTOON
03-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Great report and video Mike!:Cool:

I have to agree with a comment you made in your post about being outside enjoying the weather beats sitting home and watching tv. that couldn't be more true in my opinion. Congrats on some fine catches and I'm sure the kind act will pay dividends for you in the future.

Keep the reports coming.:Thumbs Up:

smokehound
03-31-2012, 03:50 AM
Thank you for helping that bird. Wonder how he got oiled?

bsp
03-31-2012, 09:19 AM
Mike,

Major props on helping that bird, and on sticking a nice halibut and cabezon too! That cab is an unusual catch from the surf, and definitely a sign of fishing a healthy area. Really good steelhead pictures as well.

Nice work!

Marc

Santa Fe Eric
03-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Yeah I always wondered about the origins of your screen name. Now I get it! Heck of a report and beautiful pictures.
SFE